12V Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V Enhancements

The 12V engine gets no love compared to the turbos and the 7A. I have a 1996 Cabrio, 1995 90 FWD and a 1996 90 quattro. They all have bone stock 12Vs and run great. I believe, they're all AFC engines.

Apparently there are some improvements that Mance and others have suggested for these cars. What are these mods, especially for the AFC 12V, and are they listed anywhere?

Thank you!

Because they deserve no love, heavy, underpowered, thirsty boat anchors.
    There is nothing to mod on these engines.

Here most of them have been replaced with 4cyl turbos or if you want a V6 take a 32V from B5/C4/C5/D2 or ASN from C5/B6/D3
    1989 Audi 80 Quattro
    1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post

Here most of them have been replaced with 4cyl turbos or if you want a V6 take a 32V from B5/C4/C5/D2 or ASN from C5/B6/D3
      That's a little unfair to them. Though I agree the 150bhp 2.6 really isn't worth bothering with, the 174bhp AAH 2.8 12V pushes my C4 avant along briskly enough, the 32V is 197bhp and I've had one of those in a C4 Saloon, it was a bit quicker than my Avant though when I broke the 32V it wan't so much faster I wanted to put it in the Avant otherwise I would have.

The AFC is OBD II diagnostics where as the AAH introduced in 1992 and phased out in 1995/6 is OBD I so as you cars right on the change over date I'd check to see what they actually are, I expect your US spec cars will have some extra emmisions stuff you could do away with that may gain you bit of power but I have no idea what you can get away with doing in what state and it probably isn't worth the cost.

You are however quite right when you say there's little scope for tunning any of these engines other making sure they're free of vacuum leaks, there is a couple of things you can do with the inlet manifold which I may get around to doing with mine but given that it currently runs like a clock I'm loathed to take it appart.

There is a site called '12V.Org' with links which will give you all the info available regarding what can be done with them.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by M2ki View Post

well said! I call them boat anchors too
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

Though I agree the 150bhp 2.6 really isn't worth bothering with, the 174bhp AAH 2.8 12V pushes my C4 avant along briskly enough,
          I agree on the 2.6, it is extra unfortunate, 2.8 is a little better + variable intake + Girling 60 brakes.
          Fortunately the 2.8 was the only engine offered in the US on B4 and cabrios if i remember correctly.
          1989 Audi 80 Quattro
          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Working...
          X