This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff passenger side oil seal replacement

Any BTDT on this, looks like i need to change this asap in order to hit the ring trip deadline tomorrow night

Cheers

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Hope you get it sorted mate, let me know how you get on with dialynx and vagparts.

Comment

nothing at either....

However a well spent 40minutes has left me with it coming from Oxford Audi and the passenger side diff open, oil seal removed and the new one can just slot in as soon as it arrives tomorrow

Speedy even if i say so myself
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Didn't fancy driving up to collect it yourself, don't think its *that* far to go but could be wrong.

Good luck with sorting it, was it that spring ring that we had trouble with.

Comment

is it a hard job with the diff on the car?
          I need to do mine at some point, theres oily resisdue around drive shaft join.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
            Didn't fancy driving up to collect it yourself, don't think its *that* far to go but could be wrong.

Good luck with sorting it, was it that spring ring that we had trouble with.
            yeah i'm on back to back conference calls this afternoon so just no chance, enquired about getting a taxi to do a collect and deliver.....ch-ching ÂŁ120. will be at my local audi dealer tomorrow for collection at 9am, any ideas what i'm doing at lunch

The most annoying thing is when i got the seal off (after practising on the original ) is that spring ring is seated correctly as we finally managed to get it in on Sunday - so that wasn't the culprit, i think the seal is just not used to the flange.

Anyway, lets hope that is the only drama!!!!!!!

at Error404....

Yeah not a major ballache to be honest (especially if i can do it ):

1) handbrake on, chocked front wheels, Jack up rear and onto stands (removing the rear wheel)
            2) undo the driveshaft bolts x 6removing them and the little brackets which sit between each pair of bolts
            3) undo the wishbone bolts on the subframe (to keep yout tracking in place)
            4) mallet the wishbone down from the s/frame
            5) give the inner driveshaft a tap to free it from the diff flange (could be a decent ***** with a hammer if its not been moved previously)
            6) Once free, press the rubber grommet from the handrake cable braket on the subframe and lift the driveshaft out the way resting it on the h/brake bracket
            7) Disconnect the vac hoses so you can move the actuator manually and lock the diff
            8) 6mm hex head socket to remove the bolt holding the flange into the diff (have a container to catch the diff oil as it will come out on removing the flange....)
            9) remove the flange and wait for the fluid to pour out enough to start dripping slowly
            10)find a clean cloth and a 8mm right angle hex tool and a couple of bar extensions + mallet
            11) insert the cloth with plenty of padding against the exposed diff ring, rest the right angle of the hex tool inside the lip of the seal in the 6 or 9oclock position
            12) tap mallet onto the hex to prise the seal out carefully, ensuring it doesnt drag on the casing scoring it
            13) wait for the remaining oil to come out
            14) allow 30 secs for thinking 'sh*te this stuff really smells rank'
            15) clean the face of the casing to ensure good mating with the new seal
            16) find a block of wood or a drift to push the new seal home
            17) reverse of removal
            NOTE: Usual caveats apply to following DIY servicing/repair instructions on here...at your own risk etc etc etc

Part number is 017525400A for the pass side one and about ÂŁ28

HTH

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Respect to you last minute repairs.

You will be going to the Nurburgring ball after all Cinderella...
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

better be....a 40mile shakedown is not enough, especially after revealling this problem
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Cheers David - best of luck getting it sorted for the ring
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Take some tools, a jack and some oil just in case

Comment

Working...
                    X