Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ambient temperature display, complete retrofit.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoig asked "explain how to change the readout from F to C?"....

On my CC head it is just a matter of sliding the button in the upper right corner over to the C° mark from the F°. Do you have the OEM US only Delco CC head?

Comment

by CC you mean Climate Control?
      in that case i misunderstood that. i thought you were talking about the ambient display

my TDI has no extras(not even air con), so i'm doing my best to retrofit them.
      i would really appreciate any help, to change the ambient display back to C.
      since my other car's temp display's PCB is completely different than the UK unit, i'm kind of stuck with reverse engineering.

Comment

Just an info post.
        Recently bought another of these ATD's (Thanks Andy ) as I want one in the work hack TDi.

Never seen this version before though. Only ever seen the BORG made units (part numbers beginning 4A0) which had a few revisions. Even on the last revision, I've seen four different PCB's inside.
        This is an early unit made by VDO instead (part number beginning 893), it's still on it's original bulb inside too which is very different to the later ones. It's externally and internally very different from the BORG units.
        Has an ink stamp on the yellow connector of 9/1991.

"Borg" unit and the most commonly seen;

Early "VDO" unit;

Misc pics of both;

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

resistance is futile with the borg...

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
            Never seen this version before though. Only ever seen the BORG made units (part numbers beginning 4A0) which had a few revisions. Even on the last revision, I've seen four different PCB's inside.
            This is an early unit made by VDO instead (part number beginning 893), it's still on it's original bulb inside too which is very different to the later ones. It's externally and internally very different from the BORG units.
            Has an ink stamp on the yellow connector of 9/1991.
            Might be of interest, My 91 CQ20v had this VDO unit, 92 S2 dash i bought, and my 94 S2 both have the BORG units. Also noticed subtle differences within the two BORG units.

Not much difference in operation, though the VDO has better deflection for the bulb so it illuminates more evenly when you fit an LED.

If you want to know which you have turn the ignition on, VDO unit turns on instantly, BORG has a 2-3second delay.

I've attached pics of the two bulbs to compare the size..
            Attached Files
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

i really want one of these units but i cant seem to find one second hand anywhere
              The Power Of A DagDag

Comment

Originally posted by StompOn View Post
                i really want one of these units but i cant seem to find one second hand anywhere
                What just the display? if so pm me, ill see what i can do.

Comment

I know that this is the S2 forum but this is the best source for ATD
                  I got 1990 typ 44 avant with aftermarked ATD...
                  behind the clocks there is 5 pin yellow connector... after reading this topic I got the BORG ATD (4A0 919 272 C) from S2

checked the pins
                  1 = Vehicle Speed signal (2 wires 1 pin)
                  2 = Temperature sensor
                  3 = Earth
                  4 = Illumination (2 wires 1 pin)
                  5* = +12v
                  seems ok
                  connected the ATD... ignition ON... Illumination ON... nothing

checked the PCB and its completely different from this

the brown wire (pin #4 = Illumination) seems to go nowhere...
                  and will ATD work without the sensor? not sure if I got the sensor connected somewhere... couldn't find it...

can get some photos if needed

Comment

ATD will not work without sensor. The sensor is mounted on a little metal bracket and sits in the space between the front of the radiator and behind the front bumper & cross member.

The sensor is shared with the later digital climate systems so if you've got one of those you'll have the sensor otherwise you'll need to fit a sensor to get the ATD to work.

John

Comment

I’m going to revive this post.
                      Before reading this post on the Audi A40919272 external temperature gauge I was working in installing an LED as well. I now have one installed but in the process I pulled off a resistor and can't find it. Does anyone happen to have pictures of the back side of the board, the side opposite the LED, or happen to know the values of the resistors on the back side of the board? I didn't notice anywhere in the post about changing the current limiting resistor. Is this not necessary?

Comment

Cheers need to do this to my avant. Maplins here I come.
                        Audi A6 AEL 5cyl Quattro breaking.
                        Audi A5 3.0tdi Quattro Stage 2

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas with my previous post?

Comment

Hi there,

I came across your thread regarding the ambient temp display in the Audi clusters/clocks. Hoping you can help me.

My car is a US spec car. the cluster that came with it did not have the ambient temp display. The car did have a 5 pin connector prewired to the car, but it was not connected to anything. It also only had 4 wires pined to the connector.

I bought an S2 cluster that had the ambient temp display. I connected my car's factory connector to the cluster/clock's ambient display connector. The display worked fine.

I then swapped the ambient display to my factory cluster/clock and the ambient display display does not work. Any ideas?

Regards
                            Khai

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                              First job was the sensor. It's normally located deep down below the nearside headlamp, attached to a bracket on the front bodywork.
                              A sensor was obtained from vagparts, but for whatever reason, the bracket that it attaches to wasn't there either and it's something we overlooked too.
                              It was decided that we would just attach it to the bodywork with a stout cable tie.
                              Try to purchase it.

Original VAG number is:
                              17 - 895 820 536
                              18 - 893 820 297
                              Attached Files

Comment

The us spec cars already have the sensor. We have two of them. Mine are both there. The weird thing is the display worked when installed on the s2 cluster/clock but not on my factory cluster/clock. It shouldn't matter though as the display is independent.

Comment

Working...
                                X