This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing wishbone bushes

Assuming you have the wishbones off the car already...

The 1st one is the worst but the technique below is about 10-15 mins per bush after you get the knack.

- Secure the wishbone in a bench vice with the fat end of bush pointing up towards you

- Using a 6 or 7mm drill bit... With a great deal of care and ensuring you angle it towards centre of bush slightly you can drill holes closely thru the rubber material. Be careful here as I broke several drill bits when they snagged on the centre piece.

- With a drift, when the rubber is suitable destroyed you can whack out the centre section of bush attached to whatever rubber remains.

- You might have scored the inside edge of the outer casing of the bush with the drill

- Keeping the wishbone in the vice use a good cold chisel and your favourite hammer to persuade the outer bush casing to part company with the wishbone. I just picked one section and pushed it into the centre. Do this top and bottom of the bush casing until you have a gap big enough to get some leverage.

- Use a hefty screwdriver or pry bar to tease the contorted bush casing out

If you need to hacksaw the outer casings out then be VERY careful so as not to cut into the wishbone and weaken it. If you must hacksaw, then do it at the thickest part of the wishbone just in case and don't rush things...

The cold chisel method is pretty quick, safer than sawing but the only downside is the pummelling noise. I woke one of the kids

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Alternatively set light to the rubber with your favourite blow torch....

I have not done this but heard it is a reliable method.

Obviously you still need to prise the outer casing out....

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

How much do new wishbones cost? I will have to do the bushes in my car soon and am just wondering if it would be worth just replacing the whole bush provided of course that they come with the bushes fitted.
      1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
      1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
      2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
      1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

i think the pressed type are about £30 each from GSF with the bushes already in there

Are you doing a bush fitting guide too Paul?
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yes, the price trade off is quite close, although Cast 'bones are a bit more expensive. Certainly if you are getting a garage to do it, buying the pressed wishbones could be a cheaper way to do it...
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
            Yes, the price trade off is quite close, although Cast 'bones are a bit more expensive. Certainly if you are getting a garage to do it, buying the pressed wishbones could be a cheaper way to do it...
            I will be doing them myself but i am just weighing in my options. Plus i really hate doing bushes.
            1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
            1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
            2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
            1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

Cast wishbone bush replacement with pics >>> Linky
              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

When I did mine myself, I removed the wishbones (easy really) and took them to my local garage and asked him to press the new bushes in. I think it cost me £25 or so, which seemed better than ALL the labout for removing the wishbones etc...

P.S. That imethod was easy for me as mine isn't a daily driver and sits in a nice warm garage

Cheers,

Steve.
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic

Comment

Nice little guide there Jas - where would I find 2.5" / 60mm threaded pipe / cap?
                  I've lokoed at loads of plumbing supplies shops etc and can't see much

EDIT: Speeling it right always helps
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That is another good write-up from Mike... I scoured the garage last night looking to make up a similar tool to wind them out, but had no joy. So I had no option but to drill the boogers out.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

No, no, no, no and no again....

Use a hole cutter attachment in your drill, work from bothh sides and out in less than 5minutes. Even warms the rubber up so you can scrape the remaining out with a screadriver.

Easy peasy...
                      Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

the MOT guy who failed mine on the rear wishbones at my local audi stealer did mine for a case of beer as he said and i quote "it was really nice to work on a real audi for a change and one that has been cared for...!" He drives around in a mint 80 Sport

Personally the friendly garage route is my preferred option, they are a pain to remove.
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
                          Use a hole cutter attachment in your drill, work from bothh sides and out in less than 5minutes. Even warms the rubber up so you can scrape the remaining out with a screadriver.

Easy peasy...
                          There's more than 1 way to skin a cat as they say... Just as well if you dont have a hole cutter the right size - and another car available right then to go buy one - but our hardware shops aren't open at 10pm

Paul
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            i think the pressed type are about £30 each from GSF with the bushes already in there

Are you doing a bush fitting guide too Paul?
                            Be careful with cheap copy wishbones I`ve had some where the bushes only lasted one MOT
                            The ONLY S2 Golf!
                            http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
                            10.42@138mph
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Proper cast/forged ones like mine are approx £150 from Audi plus VAT. The pressed ones are about £65.

I do have ONE brand new spare cast wishbone - never used - if anyone is interested... Can't recall what side it is though.

Paul
                              Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                              X