This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neuspeed 19mm Adjustable Rear ARB

As you know I have fitted the Neuspeed 19mm Adjustable A4Q/S4 rear anti roll bar to my Avant. I have finally got round to gettin gthe pics sorted out of the setup.

The kit comes with the bar, two big reinforcement brackets, poly bushes and all the fixings.

The reinforcement brackets are a strange looking bit of kit and it's not easy to visualise how they fit.

One thing I will say is that the instructions are not brilliant but once you got the car in the air it's fairly easy to work out what goes where.

It's difficult to describe how the brackets fit but hopefully the following pics should help.

The brackets bolt to holes that are in the subframe already (not sure why Audi put them in but it works) and to the rear ARB mounting holes.

It's clear why this is needed when you look at the standard ARB mounting points. They are literally flat plates that protrude from the bottom of the subframe. After much investigation on the web it seems common that on A4Q/S4s these can crack or even snap off when bigger rear ARB's are used.

The tube on them bolts from the subframe side to a third hole on the ARB mount side to form a rigid triangle.

Once it's in you get a much stronger rear mount for the ARB.

The bar itself fits in exactly the same way as the normal S2 (or RS2) bar. It has two holes at the end where the droplink bolts on so you can have it at soft or hard setting. I'm using the soft setting at the moment but will switch to hard when I've got used to how it handles.

My only concern at the moment is the drop links. I've fitted RS2 ones with the new bar but am getting some CPP rose jointed ones as they are a lot stronger.

As for improvements in handling, the car is much flatter around bends and has a lot less understeer. There is a tendency to oversteer more so I've had to adjust my driving style a little.

It is also more likely to snap away if you let of the power while cornering. I've not experienced this yet but Jason took it for a test drive when he fitted it and had it sideways round a roundabout. He does drive it even harder than I do though

I looked at several different A4Q/S4 rear ARB's before choosing the Neuspeed. You can get sizes between 17mm (Quattro GMBH) and 22mm (Intrax) but the Neuspeed came out as IMHO the better on price by a very long way and the fact they supply brackets to reinforce it.

Price wise it isn't too bad. I got it from Awesome GTi Store (only official Neuspeed importer in the UK) for £215 all in. The bar is £185+VAT but they gave me free shipping as I'm in the trade. Well below the £300 that MartynF is adament that I paid

I can't fault Awesome GTi's service either. I phoned them to order it and they said it would be 4-6 weeks to come from the US. In actual fact it turned up at 2 o'clock the next day!! Previously one of my work mates ordered a badge late on a Friday afternoon and it arrived Saturday morning.

Links:

Neuspeed

Awesome GTi Store

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Looks very nice bit of kit Ben! Hopefully you may venture onto the track next time round??
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Looks fantastic. I am going to contact Neuspeed and get some of those triagular brackets for my RS2 bar...just for insurance.
      I can't remember....do you have RS2 front ARB??
      I am very happy with the results of my RS2 rear bar, but once I get the front bar, i may upgrade to the Neuspeed bar.
      I did, however, oversteer and take two cones at an autocross today when I lifted off the throttle into a turn.
      Joe "NoNonsense"
      axis motorsport
      joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
        Looks very nice bit of kit Ben! Hopefully you may venture onto the track next time round??
        I did wander out on the parade laps I will get round to letting it loose on track properly at some point. Hopefully I'll have the full 3" exhaust and separate wastegate pipe on by then as well so I can make as much racket as you did. I've been wondering whether we should try and organise an S2 track day. Mallory Park is just down the road from me so I'll try and get some info on prices to hire the track.

Carly wants to try driving it on track as well but I'm not sure I like that idea Last time I let her drive it she hit the red line in first on a stone cold engine. Her excuse was that her KA doesn't need to warm up as it doesn't have a temp. gauge )

@NoNonsense

I have got the RS2 front ARB fitted as well. With the pair of RS2 bars the handling was much better than standard but I felt there was still a little bit too much roll when I pushed it hard. The Neuspeed is much better although jumping from the stock S2 bar to the Neuspeed would make for a very sharp learning curve.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
          My only concern at the moment is the drop links. I've fitted RS2 ones with the new bar but am getting some CPP rose jointed ones as they are a lot stronger.
          Ben
          Ben,
          I'd love to know more about these drop links you mention. I don't understand why we upgrade to a bigger bar and still have these spaghetti drop links. I know the load on them is vertical, and they are strong enough, but I worry...

I've been thinking about having some make out of aluminum but if there is something else available i.e. CCP, please direct me to them! =)

Cheers,
          joe
          Joe "NoNonsense"
          axis motorsport
          joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

CPP Look for the S4 rear sway bar links.

They are a bit pricey so I'm going to see if I can get some made by my girlfriends dad. Would like to get some front ones done as well. They are basically just alloy rods with rose joints in the ends.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
              CPP Look for the S4 rear sway bar links.

They are a bit pricey so I'm going to see if I can get some made by my girlfriends dad. Would like to get some front ones done as well. They are basically just alloy rods with rose joints in the ends.

Ben
              Those look nice...They appear straight though...while ours have a slight bend near the bottom...
              Joe "NoNonsense"
              axis motorsport
              joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Adjustments??

Ben,

Great documentation! Thanks. Is the a stiffness adjustment at the tips of those ARB's? Something that allows you to move the drop link attachment point?

Rich

Comment

@NoNonsense

The CPP bars are straight. They are mounted slightly differently to the stock bars which allows them to fit without the bend. Hopefully I can get some bits together and experiment with making some.

@91 S2.

Yes. There are two fixing holes for the bottom of the drop link. The hole closest to the end of the bar gives the soft setting and the one further in gives the hard setting.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

I will start another thread about track day prices. I have looked into this.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

ref the drop links, ive got some rose jointed ones fitted to the front of my avant from Tim @QRsport. Very good quality. Cant remember the price ill need to check receipts.
                      Cant wait to get the coilovers built
                      nice one
                      Gav
                      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
                        Looks fantastic. I am going to contact Neuspeed and get some of those triagular brackets for my RS2 bar...just for insurance.
                        Joe

Did you have any luck getting the brackets on their own from Neuspeed? I've had a look at the mounts for my rear ARB and I can't believe how flimsy they look.

Cheers

David
                        1994 16v Coupe - Sold on and sadly missed
                        1994 S2 Avant - Warmed up a bit
                        1995 A6 Avant - Dag Dag Delight

Comment

i just got my neuspeed rarb and will fit it soon along with the bilstein sports.I was wondring if you could tell me which setting is the best to go for?RARB has 2 holes on each side.One is a strong setting and the other is softer?what do you recommend?

Comment

I have mine on the strongest setting. It does tend to make it a bit snappy at the limit though (as people who saw me spinning across the infield at ADI can testify )

I would try it on the softest setting and see how it feels. It's a matter of personal preference really.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

which one is the softest setting?

Comment

Working...
                              X