How to Remove the Chrome Trim from the Grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Remove the Chrome Trim from the Grille

Rather than sanding it off I decided to remove the chrome completely. The chrome is applied to a soft PVC type material by pressure and glue.

Tools needed: a stanley knife (box cutter) with some new blades. To remove a complete grille worth of chrome I destroyed the sharp edge on both ends of a single blade. This job can't be done with a snagged blade as it will keep catching.

Tea breaks: at least one...

Time: about an hour in total

Warning: The chrome is metal and is quite difficult to cut in some cases. Be careful when making the initial incision as one slip of the knife could be fatal but at least will make a bloody mess. No point crying if you cut your femoral artery. Also the little bits of chrome are sharp, wear gloves if necessary.

The bottom and the corners are the most difficult so I suggest you start at the top although the order of these photos is done starting at the bottom.

Removed from car, it needs a clean but that's a job for another day.

Make an incision all the way down along the length of the bottom of the grille.

Then get the sharp edge of the blade in under the chrome and slide it gently down along the length of the incision. The idea here is to get under it and facilitate peeling it off. It is way quicker to peel it off in say 1 inch long sections than attempt to cut it off.

When you get the blade in under it by 5-6mm it will peel by hand (or with a pliers if you can't grab it).

The corners are the hardest part but if you get the blade in under it under the corner as shown it'll come pretty easy.

Half way there:

When you get it to start stripping like this you'll be flying:

Finished:

Shane

Woa!!! Timing is spot on. I have my grille in my hand right now, drying after a wash and was just gona search the forum to see how the chrome can be peeled off, I had tried at the bottom of the grille but was coming off in tiny bits. Nice pics and thanks for posting this.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Sweet, glad to be useful. If it starts to get frustrating change the blade, when you cut the chrome rather than get under it it destroys the blade.

When you look at the bottom and the top the join between the grille and the edge is different. That makes the bottom more difficult. If you have a dremel you could run it around that edge to break the edge seal between the PVC stuff and the chrome.
      Shane

Comment

Just finished dechroming mine-bit of a coicidence this!Actually removed the chrome surround completely by picking out the stuff they seal the clips in,took a bit longer but was able to spray without any masking to do.But if you do it this way be very careful not to flex the surround to much as it looks as it would not take much to snap.
        Very pleased with the results,all sprayed satin black and back on the car-looking sweet
        Just got to vax up the blood I spilt when then the stanley blade slipped
        Great write up btw
        Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
        Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
        Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

Done! followed the instructions, and it did take two blades in total to get the edge started but it all came off , peeling from outer edge to inner black grille. I did it in inch sections .

Thanks
          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I posted this method on my Ruby red Avant thread over 2 years ago!

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=37049&page=6

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post

Done! followed the instructions, and it did take two blades in total to get the edge started but it all came off , peeling from outer edge to inner black grille. I did it in inch sections .

Thanks
              You don't hang about do you? Nice work

Originally posted by dest View Post
              I posted this method on my Ruby red Avant thread over 2 years ago!

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=37049&page=6
              Thanks Dest, i guessed it'd be here somewhere but search let me down

I must read through that complete thread now actually
              Shane

Comment

Working...
              X