Window Relay 363 contact cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Relay 363 contact cleaning.

One of the tips I got when my electric windows stopped working, was to take out the relay and tap it on the ground, sure enough it got me out of a jam. I kinda knew I would have to deal with this problem again. So after the car being idle for the last 2 months, the relay started to give trouble again. So I set about to see if I could fix it.

Now there are may causes to electric window failure, from door switches, to temperature sensitive failure http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31479 , motor and regulator failure and this here relay trouble.

My Culprit.

The cover comes off very easily, only two flat blades needed on either side and it pops off.

Both relay contacts need to be cleaned

All those larger solder joints could do do with a retouch of the soldering iron.

Some basic tools, Feeler gauge, 800 wet dry, and a wire core cable tie. Kinda harking back to the day of cleaning ignition points .

These springs are very small, and require very little effort to pop them off the contacts.

We need to get that hinged contact out.

The conductor wire was very tight so I snipped a tiny bit off the support at the top, and filed it down so as not to cut the wire.

Slide the wire over the top of the support and unhinge the contact.

Nothing bad here, just a little pitting.

Very noticable burning here.

Using the feeler gauge as support for the sandpaper, file away the burn and pits in as flat as possible.

Now doing the same to the other relay. The wire conductor is long enough to go over the top of the hinge support so no need to cut anything here. Remove the hinged contact in much the same way as the earlier one.

Here we go. Very definite burning and pitting. The material is quite soft, it doesn't take too much pressure for the 800 paper to do its thing.

This contact has a back and front just make sure both sides are clean

Again very visible pitting. All of these bad contacts can cause heat buildup and melt the plastic support. Thankfully that has not happened here.

Nice clean flat contact patch. It would do no harm to spray these contacts with a little contact cleaner after filing.

Mine also had started to develop a crack in the solder, so all the of the big solder joints got touched and reflowed with the soldering iron.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Excellent write up

I've attached a pic of the earlier units with the one touch up/down function. They have three relays inside but are sandwedged together making this job a little more difficult.
    Attached Files
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
      Excellent write up
      ....with the one touch up/down function....
      +1

But another question:

Is there a relay with up/down functionality and for more than the driver side window?
      /Mike
      ---------------------------------------
      S2 RS Avant@355hp "For sale"
      A4 Avant TDIq@170hp
      Datsun 240Z@550hp
      BMW M3 race car@321hp
      Garage

Comment

Afaik the 1TWU / D only applies to driver side window
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Can someone tell me where the window relay is located? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DeanG View Post
            Can someone tell me where the window relay is located? Thanks
            Remove the lower shelf below steering wheel and look up it should be next to other relays and fuses

Comment

Relay

Wondering whether this might be my problem... very occasionally both windows and the sunroof won't work. Then the next time they all will!

Think this is the culprit?

Rob

Comment

Great write-up Eric. Definitely should be stickied.
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                  I've attached a pic of the earlier units with the one touch up/down function. They have three relays inside but are sandwedged together making this job a little more difficult.

Here are some corresponding PNs and Control Module numbers and locations for those window/sunroof control modules:

441959257C used as far back as a 1980 AQS= 343

Code 329 = PN 441959257B UrS4s and 95 UrS6 (but not 96 or 97) Driver's kick panel area

4A0959257 "363" was dropped at some point and replaced by the 443959257B "287"

443959257B = 287 in the B3/B4 chassis:

443959257 "285"

Last edited by UrS4boy; 8 December 2015, 01:26.

Comment

Cold joint fix for a Code 329 = PN 441959257B UrS4s and 95 UrS6 (but not 96 or 97) control module, driver's kick panel.

http://12v.org/urs/329WindowControlModuleRepair.pdf

Comment

Rob,

That's exactly the same problem I have, both windows and the sunroof stop working temporarily. It's generally occurred in the hot weather, but it happened the other day as well. I also have another B4, where this is also happening.

Dean

Comment

For the cost of about £6 each, i would strongly recommend considering changing your window switches...

THE fix of the year for my coupe was replacing the window switches. My windows had been playing up as documented in many places but try as i might cleaning contacts, greasing cables, checking, changing the relay for known good one, continuity etc etc I couldn't find a fault.

I was convinced there was a break in the loom going to the door but an afternoon with multimeter proved the wires to be o.k, it also proved the switches were operating as intended...apart from their ability to carry enough current to make the windows work.

Most of the time the windows would go down but never go back up, then total failure. Obviously going up requires more effort because of gravity (probably) but whatever the difference in load - it was enough that my switch couldn't handle it. I got 3 new ones, stuck them in and

Be aware though, the passenger door switch gets it power from one in the drivers side so even putting a new switch in the faulty (on mine) passenger side wouldn't have fixed it. My new switches also come with LED illumination which was nice!

Comment

@Rob and DeanG - had the same problem on my RS2 - window and sunroof would not work when the car or rather the cabin was hot. Summer in SA can get rough . I read on this here fine forum, that the problem could be related to "dry joints" on relay 285. I had the relay dry joints "re-soldered" and the problem disappeared

Comment

Thank you Mr G, I think I will take a look at the relay, as I don't think it's the switches. I replaced the switches on mine a while ago, so I don't think it's those.

I used to get it very occasionally in the hot weather as well,but then got it the other day and the windows didn't work until I got home after about an hours drive.

Comment

Bought and fitted the replacement relay 287 and it's all working!

Comment

Working...
                              X