Peeling Lacuer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeling Lacuer

Hi again boys. The S2 that i've been looking at recently has some light peeling of the lacquer under the rear quarter window. No sign of any overspray or masking line and i was wondering if this was a common fault. The car looks clean and straight and i checked with the Audi dealer and they have no record of any paintwork being done on the car.

Yep. Mines the same. N/S rear under the window .
    Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
    S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

This is indicative of minor body repairs on this panel. What happens is the repair is kept small, primed, then wet flat with fine grade paper. Then the rest of the panel is rubbed with a scoch brite pad. This keys it finely and means the base coat need only cover the primed area then when the laquer is applied to the whole panel (for easy masking) there is no change in colour as the edge to edge finish is still origional. Unfortunately if the lazy git that preped it didn't clean carefully round the edges the laquer can peel in the end!
      Ragusa Coupe gone!
      sigpic
      VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
      VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
      vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Originally posted by groofosp
        This is indicative of minor body repairs on this panel. What happens is the repair is kept small, primed, then wet flat with fine grade paper. Then the rest of the panel is rubbed with a scoch brite pad. This keys it finely and means the base coat need only cover the primed area then when the laquer is applied to the whole panel (for easy masking) there is no change in colour as the edge to edge finish is still origional. Unfortunately if the lazy git that preped it didn't clean carefully round the edges the laquer can peel in the end!
        Thanks guys, i thought i'd check first as i wasn't sure if it indicated accident damage or not.

Comment

Originally posted by brm180
          Thanks guys, i thought i'd check first as i wasn't sure if it indicated accident damage or not.

Sorry i forgot to mention that there was one small paint bubble on the edge of the wheelarch on the same side as the peeling lacquer. As the S2 's are gavanised is this something to worry about ??

Comment

Sounds like it has been repaired then at some point. And not very well. Would bargian against this if you buy. Lets face it, not many cars nowadays have NEVER had some bodywork done, even new cars get panels painted before sale!!

I know for a fact that i have had 4 accdents in mine now!! Never anything major, but all the ssame a pain in the ****.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Cars over a couple of years old have all had cosmetic paint work of some sort. I used to make a tidy living out of refinishing for the motor trade. The ones that have had no paintwork on them are easier to spot than the ones that have been painted cos they are usually still covered in scratches, dents and stone chips! The most important thing is was the work carried out to a good standard.
              Ragusa Coupe gone!
              sigpic
              VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
              VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
              vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Exactly, as long as the job is a pukka one, it wouldnt make any difference.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                X