Cone filter anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cone filter anyone?

Ive just got a large cone type filter for my 3b S2. Is it hard to fit? What i mean is is there more to it than a few nuts and bolts. There is a large plug on the induction that seams to be rendered usless once the cone is fitted? any ideas guys??????? Finally is it even worth fitting????
    monkeyboy

Originally posted by monkeyboy
    Ive just got a large cone type filter for my 3b S2. Is it hard to fit? What i mean is is there more to it than a few nuts and bolts. There is a large plug on the induction that seams to be rendered usless once the cone is fitted? any ideas guys??????? Finally is it even worth fitting????
    I am also interested in this question. Would this make any change on an engine with K&N panel filter and ABY airbox?
    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyboy
      I had a K&N panel filter in my 3B, made no noticable difference
      Switched to a K&N cone (see threat) http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3863

Made no real difference except the sound.
      Quit easy mounting, used two 90 degree bends and some flanches.
      Most difficult was getting the airbox out and the heatshield mounted again.

Regards
      Carlo
      No power, no glory!
      S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

for an extra £50 or so squid u can get a dahlback one which is made to fit with a heatshield.
        ABY Coupe
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
          for an extra £50 or so squid u can get a dahlback one which is made to fit with a heatshield.
          Where from dude?

Comment

I have a k&N on mine- took 30 mins to strip out the old 3b airbox and associated fittings... I cant think of any bits which are rendered useless by using the cone, it literally slips onto the end of the MAF unless you do as others have done and swing it through 180 degrees so it faces the front of the car again.

Increases the intake noise and lift off whoosh sound and flows more air at the top end, expect tons of heatsoak in stationary traffic even with heat shielding and probably a bit of a flatspot once pulling away again if you have been standing for a few minutes. however once you are moving and if you have a good bit of ucting for fresh cool air then its great. Used mine for a few years without any problems with maf coating in oil or anything.

Cheers,

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I suppose everyone knows by now about my 'heatshielding' and cone filter, but if you get one or more pipes to cold feed onto the filter, it will make a big difference, I found, to power, torque and throttle response.

There's another thread where a forum member used pvc drainpipe to point the cone towards the front of the car. I used 2 silicon hose sections (which weren't for that purpose, but fit perfectly) which came with the cone and a metal T piece from Dialynx. Quick trim to fit, blagged a couple of 100mm jubilee clips from work (90s are a bit at the limit, with thickness of the silicon) and bob's ur aunties live in lover.

I'll be finding other nooks and crannies to use for feeding air over the weekend hopefully.

Chris M has two whacking great 76mm hose air feeds onto his, and the torque difference was amazing.

I was a 'doubter' before on the merits of cones - not any more. Shield it right (yeah, I used tin foil, but it works, and I proved it!), feed it cold air, and the only downside is the HISSSS when changing gear - and for some that's not a downside!

PJ
              'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Originally posted by nickhey
                Where from dude?
                http://www.dahlbackracing.se/english/main.asp
                Attached Files
                sigpic_________
                Rob

Comment

Jesus H that thing cost £186.99!!! (€271)

Comment

You can build yourself one with PVC pipes for much less money than that. The heatshield is nice but nothing too complicated to fabricate yourself either...

Mihnea
                    '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                    info@MRCTuning.com
                    Workshop Directions

Comment

Yeah , it costs a fortune and it's not a perfect fit. There are hole in the botton of shelding where it touches the inner wing that need to be covered , for perfection of course .

I would also cover the top of filter(more like original air box , becouse hot air still got there.
                      Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

There are so many types (brands) of cones available. The next street there is a guy with K&N parts, at the other street there is the Simota shop with chrome shield selection and there was a good lookng cone on UK ebay with unoiled filter cloth. Is there a difference or the cool air ducting is more of a deciding circumstance? And how large should the cone be? The largest?
                        Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Yep,this is my setup.

Chris
                          Attached Files
                          Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

and mine..... similar to Chris's except that the cone is longer :mischeif:

Here's the lid on mine. Have to say it makes no great difference currently as it needs more insulation against the heat I think.

David
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

David: Very nice.
                              Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Working...
                              X