This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake upgrade

Ok Mik, I'll post the write up I did on the old forum, to save navigating to the link:

These are the instructions for the 280mm rear brake upgrade.

PARTS REQUIRED AND COST:

One pair of 280mm Audi A3 front discs VAG part no.1J0 615 301E, I’ve used Zimmerman cross- drilled to match my cross-drilled Porsche front discs (part no. 62373BF from GSF).
    Cost - £76.96

These were then machined from 100mm PCD to 112mm (original holes were slotted out) and the central hub hole increased from 65mm to 68mm. This work was carried out by a racecar preparation machine shop but any CNC equipped engineering shop could do it.

Cost - £88.12

Two Audi S8 rear brake carriers VAG part no.W4D0 615 425C, be careful to order the correct ones with this part number as there are two sizes of rear disc used on the S8, 269mm and 280mm, check with Audi.
    Cost - £126.74

New longer hub to carrier bolts (4) and 2mm thick 10mm spacing washer’s (4) – explanation later.
    Cost - £3

Brake pads, I’ve used EBC Greenstuff, EBC part no.21230.
    Cost - £34.16

Brake Calipers, the standard S2 calipers fit the S8 carriers but they are not wide enough to accommodate the 22mm thick disc and new pads - not by a long shot!
    I could have trawled around various breakers trying to find some suitable ones (I suspect S4/S6 rears may fit). But I just couldn’t be arsed, after a good few weekends under the car in all weathers doing ‘dry fits,’ I wanted to get the conversion finished.
    So I ordered and bought S8 calipers VAG part no. W4D0 615 423 E and W4 615 424 E. These are made of Aluminum as opposed to Iron and a bit lighter than the standard S2 rears.
    The S8 has trailing rear calipers and the S2 leading, so the right becomes the left and vice versa, easy!
    Cost - £258.50

Not so easy when it came to the flexible brake hoses!

Flexible brake hoses, I’d had new stainless/Teflon ones made up with M10x1.0 male and female hose ends (S2 size). But when I picked up the new calipers I found they required a male M12 hose fitting so an M12 to M10 adapter along with a Dowty bonded sealing washer had to be used in each caliper. The hoses were then remade to fit the adapters (female hose end at both ends, one into the adapter and the other into the existing brake line). These were made up and supplied by Speedflow (020 8530 6664).

Cost – £36.71

Total Cost then of £624.19, far from cheap I know, but if you have more patience than me and source suitable calipers from a breakers (probably any Audi with a 22mm vented rear disc), you can maybe factor around £200 out from that total.

INSTALLATION:
    The standard splashguard has to be removed as its too small for the bigger S8 brake carrier. I have my old front ones that were removed for the Movit installation and these fit, but they are in a bit of a mess and really need shot/bead blasting and repainting. I might do this in the future.
    The machined discs fit perfectly and having a 37mm top hat instead of 40mm for the standard S2 rear disc they sit a few mm further outboard. This means that when the S8 carriers are bolted on they need to be spaced outboard slightly so that the disc sits centrally within the carrier, on mine it took one 2mm thick stainless washer on each bolt between the hub mount and carrier, but tolerances may vary.
    What this also means is that the standard 20mm long fixing bolts will not reach through the carriers, only 2mm short. But it matters.
    New long bolts were bought and carefully cut and filed down to approx. 23mm, so that the carriers were properly anchored. Be careful here, as if the bolts are too long they will touch the back of the disc.
    The rest is as normal; fit the pads, calipers, handbrake cable and adjust, connect the brake lines and bleed the brakes using a pressure bleeder.

CONCLUSION:

Clearly this conversion is only viable if you have already installed a big brake kit up front (300mm plus). Aesthetically the car looks more balanced; the old 245mm solid discs looked scared cowering inside 18-inch rims.
    Talking of balance, I am aware that there may be some issues with front/rear brake bias and a variable bias adjuster may be plumbed in later to fine tune the installation, perhaps with a visit to a four wheel brake dyno for set up.

So far I’m well happy with everything but I do have one niggle.
    The pads don’t sweep the whole of the disc face, missing about 6mm on the inside (hub) edge but I’m probably being picky! (The reason the S8 rear disc is not used is because it has a top hat of 46mm and the problems this would cause with spacing have already been discussed on S2 Central forum).

Audi list two part numbers for the 280mm disc pads 4D0 698 451C and 4D0 615 451D the bloke on the parts counter at Audi let me measure a set of C’s (I’m a regular now!) and they are the same dimensions as the Greenstuff pads. They didn’t have a set of D’s, as these are special order for special armored S8’s and over £130 a set!

If any one wants to do this conversion remember tolerances sometimes vary from car to car and although it’s worked for me all disclaimers of course apply.

Finally I hope this may be useful to others out there with bigger front brakes now looking to upgrade the rears.

Thank you to Tommy Arnberg for posting the conversion in the first place on the Audi 20v Kruemmer.

Regards,

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Very nice Mark...
    Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
    Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

Comment

would this awesome conversion work on a Avant ?
      Last edited by Jon441cc; 13 December 2005, 14:25.
      sigpic

Comment

Need to be careful - I have a memory that the handbrake cable routing and the rear caliper is slightly different on the Avant. I'm not 100% sure right now. Do you want be a guinea-pig ?

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I did this same upgrade on my coupe but used the URS4 rear calipers and new beetle front rotors. It took an hour to install and looks great. The roads are covered in snow and salt this time of year so it will be a bit before I can give them a good test but I'll post my opinions when I do.

Elijah
          91 Audi Coupe Quattro- AAN engine transplant

Comment

I used also the S4 C4 rear calipers with machined (269x22) A3 front rotors.
            Works fine and looks good!
            http://www.audi90.ch

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc
              would this awesome conversion work on a Avant ?
              In short no. At least not without custom handbrake cables.

The biggest rears you can fit with standard cables is 256mm.

Ben
              the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
              1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Hi Mark!
                You haven`t got any pictures for us too see?

Comment

Originally posted by nos
                  Hi Mark!
                  You haven`t got any pictures for us too see?

Did it ages ago when I didn't have a digi camera...so no project pics. But Greg (90quattrocoupe) did the same sort of conversion here with lots of pics:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by elijahallens2
                    I did this same upgrade on my coupe but used the URS4 rear calipers and new beetle front rotors. It took an hour to install and looks great. The roads are covered in snow and salt this time of year so it will be a bit before I can give them a good test but I'll post my opinions when I do.

Elijah
                    Is that with 280mm or 269mm rotors ? Please confirm part numbers !

I have almost everything I need for this conversion - using UrS4/S6 rear calipers and carriers. The standard rears look pathetic inside 18" rims and I want them to balance out the effects of the RS2/996/A8 upgrade that I'm planning for the front (when I get all parts and the energy to do the job).

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                      Is that with 280mm or 269mm rotors ? Please confirm part numbers !

I have almost everything I need for this conversion - using UrS4/S6 rear calipers and carriers. The standard rears look pathetic inside 18" rims and I want them to balance out the effects of the RS2/996/A8 upgrade that I'm planning for the front (when I get all parts and the energy to do the job).

Paul
                      Just read the older threads again and it seems the UrS4/S6 calipers and carriers can only accomodate the 269mm rotor (from A3 family I presume).

I'd really like to go with the 280mm rear discs and the larger pistons from the S8 calipers, but I don't think the pennies will stretch to those expensive alloy calipers and carriers for the S8. That and I just invested some time and paint cleaning up the old UrS4/S6 carriers which have been looking a bit sorry for themselves in the garage for too long.

I guess I shall proceed on the 269 basis for my conversion - assuming I've understood all of the details here...

Paul
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

Hi!

Yep unfortunately you must use the matching carriers for the disc diameter. However the calipers can be sourced from a variety of models including the urS4/S6/A8q or the later alloy varients from A8/S8. The later alloy calipers still have 43mm pistons. Even if you go for the 269mm route you will stiil have to have discs machined to suit. I would think the handbrake cable issue could be solved by locating a longer one from another model, perhaps the 200/V8/S4/S6. I think if I remember correctly that one side is longer than the other.
                        I tried to price up the carrier brackets recently but think I was quoted the wrong price, unless of course they have increased dramatically since MarkH done his!
                        Paul, if you are collecting bits, what about these:
                        http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12098
                        You can put the money saved on the machining towards the correct 280mm brackets!

Comment

OK that's understood - I don't mind machining A3 or Beetle discs just for the correct bolt pattern. I assume that is all required...

Paul
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

FOrgot to add- didn't think there was any handbrake issues with this conversion on a Coupe. I'll write it all up when I get into dry fitting !!!

Paul
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

You'll also need the centre bore increasing and correct chamfer machining in but it's all easy stuff.

If you need some 269mm A8 carriers I think I've got a spare set from when I was building the rear brake conversion on my Avant.

Ben
                              the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                              1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Working...
                              X