Rusty tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty tank

Any one known any good chemicals to clean rust from inside the tank. The rust is killing my pump to quickly.

You may need to remove and get cleaned out or cut clean and reweld
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I have seen stuff that coats in the inside with a plastic coating, you basically poor it in and shake it all about. Commonly used for older classic cars.

Do not try and weld a fuel tank, even if you know what you are doing, it will not end well.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
        I have seen stuff that coats in the inside with a plastic coating, you basically poor it in and shake it all about. Commonly used for older classic cars.

Do not try and weld a fuel tank, even if you know what you are doing, it will not end well.
        I've used the POR15 tank sealer on a motorcycle tank and it seems to be holding up well, not sure I'd like to try it on a big car tank as you need to keep moving it around while the paint dries, you'd need arms like Popeye!

If you remove the tank you could get it chemically dipped which would strip it back to bare metal, but I think it would be cheaper to find a good used tank
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Short term solution- drop a magnet into the tank??

I can't understand why it wouldn't work, albeit as a quick-fix

Comment

Took mine to a radiator repair shop I think they acid washed it, it came out like new.

Just fill it up asap after it is done as it will start to rust again if left dry.

So far so good for me

Comment

I saw a video where someone strapped a tank to a small cement mixer then chuck a load of nuts and bolts inside then set it going, made loads of noise but did the trick

Comment

Thanks. I think I will try fertan stuff to clean the rust and tapox 2k to protect it after.

Comment

from a very well experience tank issue person.

cut the top off.

if its an s2 tank wth drop in pump clean the taqnk out and replace the strainer on the bottom of the pump basket. access into these is easy through the pump fitting hole

if its a gravity fed tank like in the b3 quattro cur the TOP off the tanks. cut the t bag off the end of the feed pipe and use an inline gas filter, pre-pump.

cutting the bottom off the tank makes it almost impossible to seal as the tank is so thin. you can weld it loads of times, use tank sealer etc and a few weeks later itll leak you juice into the boot. fibre glass helps at this point.

the amount of crud i got out of the 26 yr old tank would not have sealed up with sealer and the real blockage was the t-bag strainer on the feed from tank.

Comment

Working...
                  X