Medium Term Storage - Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium Term Storage - Any advice?

I have decided to declare my S2 SORN for a few months and wondered if anyone had any advice for storing the car?

I have already bought a good battery conditioner http://www.vertar.com/ctek/ctek-multi-xs-3600/ which I am really happy with and this can be plugged into the car permenantly and it monitors the battery level and keeps it charged up.

I know you have to be careful with things like tyres being "stood" for too long etc, so I am planning to roll the car out of the garage every month or so to start it and run it up to temperature etc.

Is there anything else I should consider?

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Yes - make SURE you get it up to running temp before shutdown thru storage - if you just crank it and run it for few minutes once a month then it won't warm up enough to make sure there is no condensation inside and around the engine.

Keep the handbrake off to prevent any moisture causing seizure of pads to rear discs - happened to my old Coupe GT once.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Make sure that you can get some air circulating around the cabin to prevent it going musty or even worse, mouldy. Perhaps more than once a month just for good measure, unless it's in an climate controlled garage!
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Why put the S2 away? Don't want the winter weather to ruin your lovely detailing? I bet you'll still polish it every month
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

To be honest Ross, it's a comination of things.

The MOT is due and I haven't had a chance to get some of the work done that needs doing. (Wishbone bushes, lower ball joints, CV Boot, Tyres and Cat Refit).

Also the cost of doing all those things is no helping at the moment either. I am hardly using the car at the moment so figure I can save a few months road tax and insurance and then run it again in the summer.

The other thing is Anna is 15 weeks pregnant so I have other priorities now!

Don't worry the Audi is staying, but keeping it means saving some money here and there....

Cheers,

Steve.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Heh! Congrats mate, was gonna make some joke about a mini-fatty being on the way but thought "nah no chance". If you like, I'll let you borrow the slipper wagon for a bit so you can get a feel for things to come?

Ross
            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Very funny. I ain't never getting no van!

Thanks Ross, it will be a slightly different summer for me next year... (baby is due mid June). I think I will be doing less detailing and more nappy changing.

I hope to be able to make a couple of meets next year though!

Cheers,

Steve
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

First, CONGRATULATIONS regarding your child to come

Second, it might be a good idea to over-inflate your tires to 3 BAR during the storage, AFAIK, it helps keeping them perfectly round.
                Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Over inflating tyres is a good idea, and another good one is to park on a few bits of carpet, or some old rubber floor mats, the main problem with parking up and tyres is the reaction between them and concrete, its not good...
                  other than that, warming fully and its fine
                  (I found this out because of storing my bike for longish periods of time....)

Congrats with the other news, and roll on the summer eh..?

Chris
                  Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                  S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                  '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Thanks Guys!

I will over inflate the tyres and look at some old carpet for the garage....

The reality is, (As Ross rightly points out ) I will be getting it out of the garage to polish it anyway!

Cheers,

Steve.
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X