RS2 Suspension Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Suspension Rebuild

I haven't posted here for ages, but I am finally getting around to posting some pics of the suspension rebuild that was done on my RS2 last year. I know pics are always popular here.

For the rebuild I specified the original Bilstein shocks and although they had to be sent back to Bilstein as the back end was sitting too high, I am delighted with the handling on this car. I think the combination of both the Bilsteins and going back to OEM bushes has improved both the handling and made the suspension much more compliant over rough surfaces.

Here is a link to some rebuild pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...kVpZVRvZWI4M0U

And another pic below at the old Reims Circuit on my way over to the Swiss and and Austrian Alps as part the GRRC Grand Tour in Europe. It's still an awesome car and kept up with all sorts of modern machinery including Ferraris and Porsches. It only shows it's age around the narrow hair pins when she is off boost, but that was part of the fun!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hi Dean,

Fantastic job mate I've just done exactly the same to my RS2 but I have used KW v3 not tried them out yet as car is still in the paint shop.

Have you put the O/S/R splash guard on the wrong way round/inside out?

John

Comment

Dean,

Regarding praise of OEM spec'd suspension:

Originally posted by DeanG View Post
      ...For the rebuild I specified the original Bilstein shocks and although they had to be sent back to Bilstein as the back end was sitting too high, I am delighted with the handling on this car. I think the combination of both the Bilsteins and going back to OEM bushes has improved both the handling and made the suspension much more compliant over rough surfaces...
      a) Amen to that sir. I believe that has been the happy experience of several here who have rediscovered the simple joy of new stock bushes etc., myself included.

Q: New parts photo: Where those new front rubber boots originally fitted? Do you know the P/N? Where might I get such a pair?

Q: Old parts photo: Are those blue front dampers original type Boges?

Q: Was the rear coil-over height fix, the turning of a new snap-ring groove lower down on the damper for the lower perch? If yes, how much lowering did you aim for &/or at what distance from say, the bottom damper eye centre is the new groove?

Q: So nice to see a proper (911) parking brake exposed that was part of the original hardware graft. Has it ever given you any trouble?

b) You've did a very thorough job there. If I may humbly suggest 3 simple invisible mods to postpone some future suspension rebuild and more:
      (If you like the driving response of the stock set-up when brand new, you may appreciate these mods just for the preventative maintenance aspect, these aim to keep it that way.)

Mac. Strut Drain-hole mod;

Strut-stops mod; &

Arm-Stops mod.

c) Further to a) above, I had the good fortune years ago, to drive from the Schwarzwald, Germany to Caen, LeMans and return via Paris (sadly drove right by Reims, what a storied place, I had no idea!), all very good roads for the most part, however I did appreciate both the improved high-speed stability and yet still somewhat composed cobblestone compliance that yellow Bilstein B8s, slightly up-rated springs and stock bushes provided during lengthy days on some 2ndry roads, particularly for my passenger (quite different from what one might prefer if driving alone at Sarthe, I imagine), which makes for a still quite capable compromise. For my purposes, there is necessarily a requirement for both decent ground clearance and some comfort for lower speed touring type driving. "When off boost" type driving can occur pretty regularly on any get-away that truly gets one away from it all.

Separately, having discovered auto-racing during the late 60's early 70' s, I still remember when the endurance cars had a mandatory spare tire and luggage space (and today I'd have a wagon like yours in a heart-beat if I could; for precisely that extra utility), look closely in the back-end of that Ford and see the FIA spec "trunk". Those old race-tracks bring back a lot of day-dreams from back then of what kind of car I thought I might be driving one day. Hah, not!

Originally posted by DeanG View Post
      ... It's still an awesome car and kept up with all sorts of modern machinery including Ferraris and Porsches. It only shows it's age around the narrow hair pins when she is off boost, but that was part of the fun!
      Put another way, even with only 5 cylinders, 2.2ltrs. and off boost, ahead by a couple of decades!

Photos:
      a) Auto-Union, Reims 1939;
      b) Porsche, Reims 1967;
      c) Ford, Reims 1967;
      d) Auto-Union, Reims 2010.

​ ​

Comment

Thanks - John. Both of the rear splash guards are fitted this way round! I assume they are fitted correctly as QST have done a few of these rebuilds, so they ought to know what they are doing.

Comment

Thanks - Lago Blue. In answer to your questions:

1) The new rubber bushes are available from Audi Tradition in Germany. (http://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Welcome.do). You can find the part nos on this page https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80...407-407010/#21 I believe the car was retro fitted with some poly bushes prior to the rebuild, which I think contributed to the previous harsh ride.

2) I believe they were Boge shocks on the car previously.

3) I am not sure what the fix was for lowering the height of the rear shocks, as they were sent back to Bilstein. My understanding is they removed a couple of rings and she is sitting close to the stock height for these cars. My understanding from QST is that Bilstein have now stopped supplying these shocks, due to the issues that arose on my car. After some debate with QST, Bilstein paid for the bill. That said, I just looked at the Bilstein site and they are still available.

4) I have never had any issues with the parking brake, although I know they can be troublesome.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the mods and I will be looking to have these mods fitted in due course.

It's a shame, but I can't see the pics you uploaded.

Regards, Dean.
          Last edited by DeanG; 14 August 2018, 05:27.

Comment

Working...
          X