ABY B3 90 Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY B3 90 Quattro

Hello all, I thought being as now im getting stuck into the restoration of my 90 Id post up the story behind me and the car!
    So Im currently 20, and In August I purchased a 90 quattro with an ABY lump fitted , this car has been featured afew times on here, its had quite afew owners! Alot of people would read this and think wait?! He's 20! But im not your average 20 year old haha, Im in constant ore of the 80s, not just with cars in mind but music, dress sense, carefree lifestyle... Unfortunately I was born in the wrong era. Ive grown up with Classic audis, First memories of car Journeys for me is going on holiday in my dads Audi 100 2.0E, The day that made me want a classic audi is when my dad purchased a B2 Coupe Quattro, i think I was 7 at the time, I remember being so excited for the drive home, probably more than my dad was after the clutch slave cylinder failed before reaching home! My dad has owned alot of Audis since, Currently owning a URS6, B3 90 quattro KV, 80 Cab NG and recently a 1 owner from new B2 80 Sport, Hes known as Slacky on here i think! Although my passion for Audis is big Ive always like Volkswagens! My first car when i was 14 was a 71 1200 Beetle In which I have restored/modified and i dont think i could ever sell, Although im young with the 80s in mind Ive wanted to own alot of cars from back in the day, Ive owned 2 mk2 Golfs, scirroco Gt2 mk2 Jetta and a Mini, Although owning them Ive always said to my dad that my dream car would be a B3 90 with an ABY. So I knew of this car via afew posts on facebook, i asked the previous owner a 9 months before purchasing if he would sell and I think at the time he was reluctant, so i messeged him again and he replied with come and have a look! So i went to look and made a deal! It had no Mot so as soon as i got it home I put it in for Mot, It failed.. no suprise, needing a rear caliper, 2 front shocks, exhaust leak fixing and window wash fixing, I did the Jobs gpt it through its MOT and started using it as a daily, ITS QUICK..., I soon realised that 5 cylinders were not very economical but for the first time ever I didnt care! My dream had come true.. Yes its rough, you can tell mechanicals are worn and tired but i just wanted to enjoy it for afew months so i did, and finally it decided it was ready to have a rest
    Attached Files

So I wrote a long opening taking 40 mins and half of it got cut off, Great!

Comment

So carrying on with the opening, I was saying. I work as a Mechanical Fitter, and over the years ive developed OCD, I like to do a Job right! So i decided a full resto was needed, I soon realised Classic Audi Parts are 5x more Expensive than VW parts and Any parts with an S included were 10x more Expensive, At this Point I was willing to spend the money, we are talking about my dream car here!, So After 3 Months Ive finally managed to get hold of most of the bits to do a Rs2 6 speed conversion and renew all the Front Mechanics of the car, Including:
      • CGR 6 speed (Later CGR RS2 Apperently)
      •New S2 Thicker Driveshafts (Supplied By Audrious on Facebook)
      • S2 linkage
      • Custom 01E to 01A Box mounts (ebay)
      • Lightend Billet aliminium Flywheel (got unused 2nd hand for a steal but 034 part)
      • Uprated Sachs Clutch Kit
      •wishbones (getting seam welded)
      • Subframe Hard mounts (wonder if im going to regret)
      •Drop links
      •Ball Joints
      •Track Rods
      •Bearings
      •Lots of other Parts to finish the Jigsaw!

Im Off tomorrow so im hoping to get the box in... Something is Bound to get in my way!

Ps the rear is worse than the front was so thats the next Job!

Comment

Nice one Joe looking forward to how this ends up.
        1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

Very good looking B3q. And nice updates.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
          Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
          BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
          BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Boy! I wish I’d had this when I was 20! Keep the photos coming please, we love photos. Good luck!!
            1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
            2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
            2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

So Today finally after 6 weeks we got a gearbox back in the car! Ive stonechipped underneath, painted the box, linkage, arb and the box mounts, Then Fitted Flywheel, Clutch, box, then subframe with hardmounts, Bolted up the linkage, doesn't seem to be any problems with the movement,
              For the past few weeks searching/begging for Hens teeth parts I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!
              I had heard that my Standard NG Prop would not fit (1605mm) but to my suprise, When I Jokingly said this is when the prop is gonna fit... IT DID!! It fits snug with movement still in the joints, does this mean that my car might of had a 5 Speed s2 box already fitted rather than the NG I dont know, So the parts to order list stands at!
              •Braided Clutch line..(Best place to order ?)
              •Gearbox Oil
              •Hydrolic Fluid
              •Propshaft Bolts (cant seem to source anywhere?)
              •Pads for the front
              •ABS sensor holder

Pictures to Follow, Ignore the rusty wishbones! I still need to Fit
              •New Discs n Pads (Audi TT 312mm)
              •New bearings
              •New Track rods and Ends
              •New Seam welded wishbones
              •ARB
              •New Droplinks
              •New Balljoints

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

It wint let me post anymore pictures ill try again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90q View Post
                    So Today finally after 6 weeks we got a gearbox back in the car! Ive stonechipped underneath, painted the box, linkage, arb and the box mounts, Then Fitted Flywheel, Clutch, box, then subframe with hardmounts, Bolted up the linkage, doesn't seem to be any problems with the movement,
                    For the past few weeks searching/begging for Hens teeth parts I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!
                    I had heard that my Standard NG Prop would not fit (1605mm) but to my suprise, When I Jokingly said this is when the prop is gonna fit... IT DID!! It fits snug with movement still in the joints, does this mean that my car might of had a 5 Speed s2 box already fitted rather than the NG I dont know, So the parts to order list stands at!
                    •Braided Clutch line..(Best place to order ?) Try HEL - they will custom make for you.
                    •Gearbox Oil -Opie oils _Fuchs is good
                    •Hydrolic Fluid -G00 fromTPS part number has changed but is the same stuff.
                    •Propshaft Bolts (cant seem to source anywhere?) Try TPS - I may have some spare ones.
                    •Pads for the front
                    •ABS sensor holder - Car parts in motion - ebay approx. £6 each

Pictures to Follow, Ignore the rusty wishbones! I still need to Fit
                    •New Discs n Pads (Audi TT 312mm)
                    •New bearings
                    •New Track rods and Ends
                    •New Seam welded wishbones
                    •ARB
                    •New Droplinks
                    •New Balljoints
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Some great work going on there.
                      LOTS of new bits!!
                      Regards braided clutch hose, here's someone's experience recently...…… https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-sticking-down

Comment

Cheers Guys thanks for your hekp! ill get then other parts orderd!

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

Don't forget to use your S2 forum discount S2F

Cheers,

Guy
                          Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
                          oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
                          email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
                          phone: 01209 202944

Comment

Nice work. Good to see the project coming together. I got my S2 when I was 20 and haven't looked back. With the work you've done it will certainly feel alot more special
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hello all, Sorry for long and distant reply, there is now a female on the scene! But back to it Tomorrow on the Quattro, very slow progress made will hopefully have progress pictures by tomorrow or Thursday at the latest!

Comment

Working...
                              X