My Ragusa green 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ragusa green 80

This thread will be about a regular Audi 80 I promised myself to keep it stock

I don't have pictures from process, just from how it looks now but I'll document progress from now on.

Story with this car began about two years ago when friend of mine bought it as an engine donor (2.0 16V ACE) for his project. It had a decent set of headlights, working sunroof and some other bits I could use on my Pelican blue 80 so I bougt the rest of the car. It still had a MOT and LPG system installed.

image_68361.jpg

Then I thought I could throw an engine in it and then I will have a car I can have a proper fun without being afraid to smash something rare and expensive. First idea was to put a diesel in it. Found a complete AFN engine, but then imaginary kick in the head came "what the hell I'm doing". I had a 1.8T ANB engine laying in the corner from B5 A4 I parted out earlier. A4 was crashed badly so I took the engine apart to make sure it is ok and it was. Put it back together with new piston rings, main and rod bearings, all the sealing stuff. Did a minor porting job on the head and exhaust manfold. Motronic ME7.5 DBW engine management with wideband o2 sensor, COP ignition coils swap, pre-wired connectors for VVT camchain tensioner and EGT sensor for future upgrades. And of course a remap. Ditched the LPG system but might put it back with proper components later.

DSC_0842[1].jpg
    DSC_0526[1].jpg

Brakes were completely re-done - 5x112 swap, new brake discs, pads, refurbished calipers, new handbrake cables, new hoses and brake lines front to back, URS4 master cylinder, ATE TYP200 brake fluid.
    New fuel lines front to back, fuel filter relocated to the engine bay for easier maintenance.
    I really wanted to learn to weld so this was a great opportunity to do it - made a full 60mm exhaust system mostly using recycled stainless exhaust parts - various tubes, bends and flanges, BMW e91 middle silncer and rear box from a4 I parted out, don't remember the brand name. Turned out great, sounds as good as 4cyl can sound. Not too loud with a good note on acceleration, quiet on cruise.

DSC_0504[1].jpg

Suspension recieved new bushings, bearings and -30mm lowered springs. Shocks were good so left them alone. Refurbished all CV joints, installed front strut brace.

Of course interior wasnt left without attention:

- sagging doorcards retrimmed in lumbrejacks shirt
    - climate control swap
    - airbag dashboard
    - facelift Cabrio instrument cluster
    - because racecar radio delete
    - USDM knee pillow on center console
    - A4/A8 center console buttons
    - rear defog button with timer function
    - C4 "s-line" steering wheel swap
    - cruise control and onboard computer
    - full interior illumination set
    - retrimmed gearknob and gaiter in light gray leather
    - A8 D2 Recaro front seats, electric and heated
    - custom shortshift
    - 8L0 remote control central locking swap. partially working.

DSC_1058[1].jpg
    DSC_1063[1].jpg

Exterior had seen better days but I'll take care of it later. So far I've replaced bonnet and right front door. Coupe front bumper with modified BMW E36 lip, new aftermarket turn signals and foglights I found in my shed. Badgeless grill, but might change it later, not sure I like it. Removed the dumbass antenna from rear wing, welded the hole shut, needs a respray. Refurbished all 3 locks so they works with a single key. All 4 lower doortrims are dead so removed them. Most likely will grind off the tabs and repaint bottom of the doors. Good trims are imposible to find and they are NLA new.

DSC_1066[1].jpg

That's it for now. I already got some more stuff for it that needs some work before I can put them on the car.

All questions welcome and hope some of you will find an inspiration from this.
    Attached Files

Wow Pleased you kept your promise to keep it stock Do we take it that as you haven't done anything to it yet you will soon . It looks really good I bet your pleased with it. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Nice.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

So, what has been done to it? ​​​​​​

Amazing to see how a donor vehicle can end up after a bit of commitment

Comment

How hard was it to fit the a8 seats? Most comfy seats I've had ever!

Comment

^^^ Also interested in the D2A8 seats.

You sure work quick, and always do such a nice job. I'll be interested to see how this progresses.
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
            2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
            2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
            1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Always appreciate what you show us, great job and looking forward to more updates.
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Thanks guys

I blame the fact that blue 80 was far away for long time and I had an itch to do something so this went under the knife

Agree about A8 seats, much more comfortable than C4 seats I have in other 80. Thats why bought another set, grey leather/alcantara seats from S8. Needs some cleaning, but the plan is to use best of leathers and passenger non-memory seat in this car, modify and reupholster second set with memory in black for blue 80

Since these seats has their own rails, thre's 2 options to fit them properly - either you cut down center mount and crossmember on the floor, weld 4 threads and bolt the seat down to the floor, either remove the rails which are held with 4 bolts and bolt them to Recaro (or custom made) B3/B4 seat frame. I went for second option sacrificing ability to electrically adjust bottom of the seat for not to cut anything on the car. It's also possible to make some sort of adapter frame, but I'm 1,96m tall so thats a no go for me.

Comment

Working...
                X