Reaching the limit of traction!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching the limit of traction!

Well, been driving the S2 'chipped' since July and with it's recent RS2 IC and 297bhp it's starting to do things that it never did before. Full power round medium bends in second is lighting th inside front up I'd prefer a bit of chav-Datsun-steer but it seems that afer all the good I've done to the handling in the dry the quattro undesteer has returned

I concede that with a mere 300bhp off a K24 it's nowhere near as much as a handful in the wet as a 400bhp GT3071 powered car or higher (DJones' quattro springs to mind) but I have to admit that more and more I've found that power understeer is the order of the day, even with the 26/25mm ARB setup on mine.

The only reason I can credit this too is the tyres, F1s front, Bridgestones rear. I've always championed F1s and they have always seemed the best option for VFM but the car is a lot grippier at the rear in the wet so can only conclude that the rear Bridgestones (NLA ) are better than the F1s. Just goes to show that having the same tyres on both axles is a good plan as different conditions really do highlight any differences between tyres, perhaps I should swap front with rear and see what happens!

Need to get my oversteer on for Donington in December!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Try some Toyos, i found them better in the wet, and dry than the F1's, and they're slightly cheaper, and last longer

Comment

My Vote for Toys too.
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I've found that mine will get the fronts to spin up and in the wet pulling away out of junctions if the car comes on boost will spin up either all four wheels or just kick the **** end out.

Comment

How about trying a wider tyre on the front? 255 tyres make a hell of a difference to understeer. Obviously you need to try and match the rolling radius front to back. I know that 255 and 225 are very closely matched with an 18inch rim!
          '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

i'll wager tat swapping the goodyears to the back and putting the bridgeys on the front will make it worse. I had my pilot2's on the front and toyos on the back and the car ran MAJOR understeer, swapped them round and instantly much better. I need to find a new pair of the t1-s toyos for a full set again, exceptional tyres in wet or dry IMO
            cheers
            David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Good stuff, T1-s are hard to find now and not heard much about the T1-R tyres. Hopefully won't be changing the tyres too soon but with the track days it's almost certainly going to be sooner than I'd like! Not sure about sticking 255s on the front although it might be a bit of a laugh
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

try a search on ebay, i saw some for £90 delivered a corner on ebay (new from a tyre place btw...) and that was for a 225/40/18.
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

MTM ran wider wheels on the front than the back on a lot of their conversions, so it's not as daft as it sounds.

I've always run either F1's or Pilot Sports and have found them to be superior to anything else in the wet. However, all my F1's were/are at least 3 years old and I have heard that the newer ones (GSD3's?) are not as good.

Try swapping the Bridgestones for the F1's first. Although to be honest, I'd be suprised if there is that much difference in the wet, compared to the dry. You have to remember that in the wet the level of grip is going to be so much lower regardless of tyre choice and you're trying to boot 300bhp of front-end heavy car out of a corner...it's gonna understeer. You really need an LSD on the front or a different ratio on the transfer box, something like 4:1 rear biased as opposed to 2:1 as standard.

Or cheap remolds on the back......
                  1990 Peugeot 205 1.9 Turbo 192bhp - 190lbs/ft
                  1996 Vauxhall Omega 3.0V6 Ex-Plod - cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, cop LSD. Cheap, tatty and comically sideways!

Comment

Re-moulds!
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

increased width

i run 255's front and rear and the front end is very good. can be a bit naughty in v.heavy downpours with aquaplaning but that is about the worst. haven't had the pleasure in the snow yet but it looks like we will be getting a load soon to try in.

Comment

Come on Andy, you're not trying hard enough. You should be able to spin up tyres on both axles at this time of year, even with 225 Michelin PS2s all round. Must be the extra weight of that ABY, or the DM flywheel.
                        SS

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                          Good stuff, T1-s are hard to find now and not heard much about the T1-R tyres. Hopefully won't be changing the tyres too soon but with the track days it's almost certainly going to be sooner than I'd like! Not sure about sticking 255s on the front although it might be a bit of a laugh
                          why not try some spacers then it cheaper might help that understeer
                          94 s2 avant
                          aoc member 1116

Comment

Working...
                          X