Thankful for the Quattro system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankful for the Quattro system

Because this was the B5430 at midnight last night, just a few miles from my house.

This is the first time I'd driven something 4WD in adverse conditions and I wasn't really too sure what to expect, but I have to say, the Audi was brilliant, even with the 225mm wide tyres on it. Just after this picture was taken, it got quite sideways but still hung on.

Problem is though, this whole new found sense of security could have led to worse things, whereas something RWD wouldn't have been able to get up to any sort of speed that might have been dangerous, having the Quattro being propelled by around 230bhp, 2nd gear and full throttle had the same effect as what it did on dry tarmac

Mark
    '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
    '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
    '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
    '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
    '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
    '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

Bleedin 'eck. That's not really a million miles from me and it was quite warm last night.

Is there a high part of that road (moorland?)? That area is particularly high up is it?
    UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Triumph Daytona 955i - mmmmmm :fire:

80 dag dag :driving:

Comment

Yesterday we had a really bad hail storm and it had settled every where was like driving on a sheet of ice. was with my mate at the time he was in a G60 and i was in my s2. We were driving through a industial estate at the time and there is a rather big hill. he souldnt make it with out revving the **** out of his car i just drove up it fine although did drive it a bit sideways but always pulled out fine. it was the first time i have driven it in these kind of conditions and was very pleased with it

Comment

Hail the QUATTRO system
        sigpic

Comment

Very good points - quattro will allow you to get around in that sort of muck, but you can still get in to trouble very quickly if you give it a bootfull! Winter tyres make a huge difference of course - big fat wide summer rubber is not remotely suitable for cold snow.
          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Quattro saved my bacon a few years back. Similar looking conditons, but early in morning on way to work near Lowestoft. I had the 20V 90Q at the time, car coming the other way lost control, skidded across the road and came straight at me. I turned to the right as he went into the bank on my side of the road and although I fishtailed a little the quattro found enough grip from somewhere to get me around him and stop safetly. I am 100% sure I would have hit him if I had been in anything other than a proper 4WD.

Comment

I was so suprised as to how much grip my s2 had, last year i nearly crashed my gf's 206
              I was driving arround in the s2 last xmas eve (was a bit slippy but nothing to worry about) when the gf phoned me from work asking to put petrol in her car as it was low and petrol station would be shut by the time she finnished work. So parked up the s2 and jamp in the 206, drove to the end of the road where i stay turned out the junction (good visability so didn,t need to slow down) turned the stearing wheel and not a thing happened heading straight toward a steep curb and lampost, grabbed the hand break and with a bit of luck the back end came round and managed to avoid an earbashing from the gf
              Realy didn't think it was that slippy lol

Comment

I liked driving my coupe quattro in the snow, only had one point where I caught the rear wheel slightly but enough to move the abs sensor so the light came on. Easily sorted tho. Loved doing donuts in it as well much to the annoyance of tesco's security

Comment

Just remember.... quattro helps them to grip better under acceleration but does not help them stop any better.

It will stop no better than your 2 wheel drive car but the confidence you find from quattro will get you in trouble if your not careful.

Sound like my dad,,,,, just be careful..

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post
                    Just remember.... quattro helps them to grip better under acceleration but does not help them stop any better.

It will stop no better than your 2 wheel drive car but the confidence you find from quattro will get you in trouble if your not careful.

Sound like my dad,,,,, just be careful..
                    Wise words.

Are you going to take your car out on a full boost run in the snow?
                    SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                      Wise words.

Are you going to take your car out on a full boost run in the snow?
                      Lol.... No, nor am i going to take it on a full boost run in the wet again either...

Comment

Not had too much heavy snow up here in recent years but my CQ20V and last year in the S2 showed me how good the quattro system really is.

CQ20V towed my wife's Octavia up a snow covered hill! Last year, the S2 did the same - all on ordinary tures (Eagle F1's).

Would not want to be without it now!
                        Editor AOC www.audiclub.co.uk
                        Editor Audifans www.audifans.net
                        AOC Member of the Year 2003-2004
                        (1994 80 Saloon - Titan Grey\V6 bumper\S2 Avant bumper\80 Competition Alloys - Nice but it certainly isn't an S2 )

Comment

I love a good rescue mission in the snow.
                          Lets hope I don't get snowed in this winter, as I've had to leave the van at home, and go to work in the S2 in previous years.
                          SS

Comment

I have no intention of buying a 2WD car anytime soon either, once you've driven quattro that's it, 2WD is not an option. Bizarrely I was watching a Top Gear repeat on Dave last night and it featured the 4wd version of the Jag X-type Estate and there was Clarkson driving around snowy roads in the UK espousing the benefits of 4wd, made me laugh anyway.

DJJones makes a good point above though, keep that in mind
                            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Yes, unfortunately ABS seems to be a bit more of a hindrance in snow as I found out back in February in my BMW, some goon decided he wanted to try and stop on a hill to see what was going on (a 6 wheel drive gritter had got stuck), thankfully full beam on there is pretty good so he seen I wasn't going to stop and carried on.

Animal Mother, that was just towards the top of Gwynfryn heading towards the Moors Pub, which is er.......oddly enough, on moorland as you pointed out It is also quite high up too.

Mark
                              '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
                              '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
                              '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
                              '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
                              '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
                              '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

Comment

Working...
                              X