Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Sedan vs B5 S4

Guys-
    Current daily driver is a B5 S4 with a chip/exhaust/and Stasis adjustable coilovers. Been thinking I want to sell it and make a 1995 S2 Sedan (with RS2++ power) from a 1995 90q (I'm in USA). Am I being stupid? Going "backwards" in technolgy

Reasoning - love the S4 but it's been a maintenance nightmare. Don't need to convince you guys of the reasons why an S2 sedan is appealing - I5 turbo - the sounds, the pull of 30 psi, cool, should be very reliable, assuming it would be a more involving drivers car. But it's an older suspension design, less displacement, no xenons....

So would love to hear driving impressions of those who have experience with the S2/RS2 vs B5 S4.

Thanks!

Brandon
    '84 ur-quattro 20Vt
    '01 S4
    Project 90q>>S2??

Cant give opinions on the B5...but i am building a s2 sedan from a UK b4 80 v6q...if that helps to convince you.
    Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Why dont you just buy mine
      Attached Files
      1991 90 quattro 20v sport 450 bhp
      Rs2 engined ur quattro sold
      11 golf tdi

Comment

Def older suspension and a very nose-heavy, particularly with that IL5 lump hanging over the front bumper but then again the B5 is getting old now, is just as heavy and cannot touch a modern Evo or Suzi on the corners without serious modifications anyway.

Follow your heart and mod the S2 to make the car you want with the IL5 soundtrack we all love.

Also, keep it sleeper looking and scare the bejesus out of those Yank-tanks at the lights, when the greatest ever automotive combo (the IL5-Turbo and the quattro system) hooks up

Cheers n

Si

P.S. Most of us run Xenons on our S2's in Blighty
        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Because its a B3? (Not that there is anything wrong with, it but I guess he want the correct shell to start with).

Cheers,

Steve.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I have been on the track with many jap cars and was faster than many unless heavily modified.Also 90's came with the 5 pot as standard and dont forget the greatest of them all ,the IMSA 90 .They are much lighter than the v6 80's and i think people convert 80's because they are newer and think that 90's are too old.
            1991 90 quattro 20v sport 450 bhp
            Rs2 engined ur quattro sold
            11 golf tdi

Comment

quattroamm - I see you live in Manchester - my favorite bands (90's - now mostly broken up) are from there - Charlatans (older stuff), Stone Roses - and most of all -Ride - favorite band.

Keep those responses coming!

Thanks-

Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by quattroamm View Post
                Why dont you just buy mine
                Still cant believe nobodys bought this sleeper :mischeif:
                S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Anybody else who can compare first hand experiences with S2/RS2 and B5 S4?

Cheers-

Brandon

Comment

in all fairness to the S4,it too can become wuite fast and breathtaking turning into an RS4.However dont think that reliability is much bigger on the I5 engine and also parts are beggining to become less easy to find...

Comment

S4 is faster, handles better, rides better, has virtually 0 turbo lag, gives great torque and good power, with an RS4 setup it's fast and with something like an MRC500 conversion it's unbelievably fast.

BUT

I love my S2 and preferred driving it to a standardish S4, the 5 pot noise, the fact that it's rough round the edges, the chassis is a bit soft and the interior is a little cramped. Basically it has a soul and the S4 does not.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Contraversial - Andy's car has soul apparently. Get up... Get on up...

I agree actually, the B5 can folk off and the S2 rocks on !!!!!!

Breakin the law, breakin the law.... repeat til fade - LOL
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Well, you can see from my sig that I have both.

Unusually, perhaps, I bought the S4 first (nearly 4 years ago). After an MRC remap, I quickly caught the modding bug and last year finally upgraded to RS4+ power (K04s, RS4 airbox, MAF, injectors, fuel pump, y-pipe, AWE SMICs, and of course another remap) along with brakes and suspension to match. Cosmetic mods include RS4 front bumper, wing mirrors, steering wheel, gearknob.

I bought the S2 18 months ago (coupe, not sedan though, as we didn't get those in the UK) because I've always loved the I5 turbo quattros, and would still like to own a Ur one day.

As much as I like driving the (substantially modded) S4, the (virtually unmodded) S2 still gives me a big thrill every time I get in. I'm currently working on the spec for upgrading it to an RS2+ coupe, along similar lines as the S4, so I guess that speaks for itself.

The S4, now nearly 8 years old, has soul, real soul, but the S2 has even more....

If I ever had to choose which one to get rid of, it would be a very difficult choice.
                          Past: S2 ABY coupe RS2 spec with lots of mods, S4 B5 saloon, RS6 C5 saloon, S8 D2 FL, RS4 B7 saloon, S4 B6 avant

Present: S4 B8 avant, MRC Stage 2

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                            S4 is faster, handles better, rides better, has virtually 0 turbo lag, gives great torque and good power, with an RS4 setup it's fast and with something like an MRC500 conversion it's unbelievably fast.

BUT

I love my S2 and preferred driving it to a standardish S4, the 5 pot noise, the fact that it's rough round the edges, the chassis is a bit soft and the interior is a little cramped. Basically it has a soul and the S4 does not.
                            I couldn't have put it better, I've driven 2 S4's and whilst they are good cars that I couldn't fault, they both left me cold. I much prefer driving my old banger 3B, its got character by the truck load
                            sigpic
                            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

S4 will flatter you, I've been round the 'ring in a pretty fast standard turbo one and it takes the whole place in it's stride with no fuss, no drama. The S2 on teh other hand destroys tyres, slides all over the place, feels unstable, heavy and at times a bit slow but ti makes me and the passengers whoop and smile and laugh and that's what it's all about. Not much in the times either!

The S4 twin wishbone suspension rides amazingly and even when lowered on stiff spring it'll be comfortable and smooth. Standard S2 shakes your teeth out and rattles trim loose, mine with uprated dampers is worse, something on 600lb coiloverts would be almost impossible

S2 steering a lot more direct and has a shorter ratio by quite some margin, not sure what the differece S2 to 90q is though.

Even a 500bhp S4 feels civilised and calm (apart form the noise and OH WHAT A NOISE!), I can't imagine an S2 feeling civilisedd with that power!
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X