Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New addition, City Sleeper! (long read be warned)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition, City Sleeper! (long read be warned)

Hi i thought i should introduce myself as i've posted a couple of times on the technical forums bugging people for advice, so thought it only fair to show and tell!

My name is Shane and i'm from London and i' recently bought my first s2 (avant) just over three weeks ago from sunny Colraine in Northern Ireland from a guy called Charlie an avid VW and Audi enthusiast who had bought the car only 6 months earlier.

I saw the car advertised on edition 38 just after GTI International. The plan seeing as my wife is expecting was to buy something a bit more practical than the 94' Audi 80 cabrio we have, something we could use happily for the family shop but also for weekends away. In all honesty the S2 avant was not the first choice. Having never been into speed and more into old skool stuff like aircooled VW's (i've got a 59 Karmann Ghia project and a 67 split bus on the way from the states) and even having a MK 1 passat my original thought was a mk2 passat estate or a mk 1 Jetta. Seeing the look on my wifes face when i plucked up the courage to show her a piccy of a black Jetta i was interested in quickly killed off that idea!

With the need to look for something "more modern" the choices were between a newer shape passat or an audi a4/a6. Something just didnt feel right as i studied the photos of a Passat synchro i'd requested pictures for, i just could nt see myself being happy driving it. Owning a mini cab firm a lot of the guys have had passats, great cars but initially that was my first thought, Mr Mini cab!!

Being advised of a site called piston heads it finally hit me when i saw those two little letters...s2.

Now forgive me for being ignorant. I really have no excuse but i had never taken any notice of s2's before and believe it or not my next confession is I'm also the "club displays manager" at Inters, so i hold my head in shame .

What i had remembered though was that whilst shepperding a load of S2's in at the weekend of the show, one in particular had caught my eye, later to be discovered a L- reg Ruby Red Avant in some of the photo's in the galllery section. Little would i realise that I would be driving my own a month later. At the time i did nt even consider one.

Ok so having texted Charlie and seen the photos we quickly struck up a price and all i had to do was get out to Colraine. Having spent almost two weeks being excited about seeing the car, having conversations with Charlie over the phone, he duly picked the wife and i from the airport in a ratlook Mk 4 passat estate and i just remember the journey being a blur and me being like a kid waiting for santa at xmas. When we finally turned the corner to see the car, my wife said my face was a picture, i was grinning like a cheshire cat.

All this before i even drove it, the car was immaculate. I wanted it and that was that deal done.

Right as i've realised that i've waffled on for longer than i should i'll cut to the chase.

The car is a 95 model with 138k on the clock. Its all original, with a immaculate cloth trim. The original stereo has been replaced with an Alpine headset andit sits on its stock suspension with factory alloys.

The history says the car was based in west sussex before being taken over to Ireland by a friend of Charlies' whom he bought it off soon after it arrived on northern irish soil, with the prospect of moving to Canada upcoming Charlie's missus was keen on something a little smaller as a run around so the S2 was up for grabs, sadly for Charlie the job offer in Canada did nt materialise but being the true gent that Charlie was he was nt going to go back on his word, fantastic guy and hopefully we've made friends for life.

After a fun filled weekend in Colraine, the journey back was a pleasure. The car drove and felt like new. I've never been so excited by buying a car and hope to keep it in good order.

I've discovered a few faults since i've had it (to be expected), i scored a rear interior light from Laser Avant off here already, the temp gauge is not working (car doesnt overheat) but radiator was changed week before i bought it, need to work out how to check its not an air lock but think it may be the MFTS as i have the flashing 40 second red warning light which dissapears. All fluids are in check too and the fan is working. With free time coming up its the top of the list of things to do.

Yesterday i discovered that the exhaust is blowing, further investigation under the bonnet by myself has told me nothing more in truth, but it sounds like its coming from the top of the engine if that makes sense ( aircooled stuff is far less complicated!). So further investigation by a proffessional will be in order.

Regardless i'm overjoyed with it, the wife loves it, its my city sleeper, subtle enough for only the people in the know to take notice of and that suits me fine. I'm up for meets, i'm no engine buff by any means but i'm always willing to learn, listen to advice so keen to go to the next Reading meet that i was unfortunately not able to make last week.

I've added two piccys, nothing spectacular one from the ferry on the way home and the other because i got a parking ticket for NOT parking illegally outside my flat and i needed photographic evidence so excuse the state of the car. y aim is to get photos of the car with some of Londons tourists sights in the back drop so keep an eye open for them.

Sorry if i've bored you to death, feel free to say hi in reply, i look forward to meeting many of you in the future and advance apologise for numerous annoying questions!!

Shane
    Attached Files
    Last edited by s2addicted; 30 July 2008, 08:26.
    Wheres me pipe and slippers luv???

Welcome officially.

Great write up. Not too long, ( but then again I would say that wouldn't I? ).

Expected post purchase faults seem relatively minor, pick your professional with caution !

Read loads on this forum before doing/altering anything significant on the car.

Consider a Homefry in due course, and obviously ensure it's all as the factory intended beforehand.

Fit a boost gauge in the centre vent, which will will be a very helpful diagnostic tool for a number of different faults that can occur from time to time, especially boost leaks?

Kind regards.

Comment

Hello and

Congratulations for the longest first post award!

I am based in Didcot near Reading, and attended the first southerners Reading get together last week. There was talk of making it monthly, so keep your eyes open for the next thread.

As you have already discovered there, is loads and loads and loads of information on here. Do a search and the answer should be there.

If not, please don't hesitate to post. :thunbs:

Cheers,

Steve
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Hi Shane good post buddy... if you need anything else just ask
        S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Welcome to the Avant club!
          I have taken the liberty to add it to the register, I hope you dont mind (see sig for info)

There is a meet this Sunday at MRC in Banbury if you fancy it

Comment

Cheers guys for the nice comments, advice and the "longest first post award", i'd like to thank my mum.....

Cool with being added to the register too Dest, will check with the missus if Sundays good, be up for the drive and may bring my kid bro along as he's also into the audi/vw scene.

Added some more photos too.

Prior to picking the car up i was toying with the idea of buying the RS2 interior, but as its in such good nick it would be a shame and also i'd have to mess around with the dash, door cards etc. Figure leave it as it is.

Might be tempted to go for a three spoke air bag steering wheel and a nice set of BBS or Kersher alloys, something deep dished and shiny but i'll get the few little bits needed doing first.
            Attached Files
            Wheres me pipe and slippers luv???

Comment

Looking good there in those pics.

I think you have the right idea. Leave it as it is inside and drop it on some lovely BBS alloys...

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. Your award is in the post.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
              X