Windscreen Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen Replacement

I was travelling down the M6 in heavy traffic last Saturday and, slow motion style, saw a small rock flick up from the car in front, hover in front of my car and then smack into my windscreen with a nasty sound.

Made me jump out of my comfy recaro, and my first though was "thank f**k that didnt hit my bonnet".

So.. phoned up my insurance company today and was put through to a lovely lady from autoglass, called Cherry and from the Philippines - i had to ask because she had a sexy accent.

Besides from being very interested in the S2, because she'd never heard of it, she said they would be calling back tomorrow to arrange fitment of a new screen

... now this has me slightly worried from reading other threads about it. Is there anything i should be looking out for?

Cheers,

Andy

S2Forum.com Administrator

Most places won't know it by S2 alone, try Audi Coupe Quattro S2

Comment

Scheiße.

Things to look out for are leaks from the new screen being fitted badly. Also corrosion around the screen years later, from windscreen man scraping the old sealant off, along with the galvanised layer below it.

These companies seem to like wasting loads of windscreens, rather than doing the job right on the first one.
      SS

Comment

I thought my windscreen was bad!!!....

good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
          Things to look out for are leaks from the new screen being fitted badly. Also corrosion around the screen years later, from windscreen man scraping the old sealant off, along with the galvanised layer below it.
          thats exactly what happened to my previous scooby - unfortunately it was a previous owner who had it done so Auto Windscreens just told me to "jog on"
          Haynes Manual:As described in Chapter 7...

Translation:That'll teach you not to read through before you start, now you are looking at scarey photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Comment

I have had several screens replaced having owned Audi Coupes for over 12 years now and only had one done well (one had to be refitted 3 more times and was still not perfect ). Therefore, my advice is: -

1. As a sweeping generalisation, you want it replaced by an 'old boy' who has been doing this since before the S2 existed (preferrably since before the Model T existed), knows ALL the tricks of the trade and has hopefully done one of these cars.

You DO NOT want a 22 year old spotty boy has probably only ever replaced the screens of Ventra’s, Mondane’s and Clio’s (ooh I feel dirty saying those words ) and has probably smashed more screens at night than he has fitted in the daytime!

Oh and it doesn't matter about it being an S2, just as long as he has changed the screen in this shape Coupe.

2. Establish a rapport with the fitter before hand - find out what he likes in the car world and big them up....gently. Then turn the conversation to the S2 and see if he bites. If he knows the car and is impressed with yours, you are nearly home free.

3. Once befriended, point out the flush fit of the A post covers with the roof. Tell him your mate had one fitted by a right cowboy who never got close to getting then flush. Tell him it makes a howling wind noise and will have to be done again. That way the bar has been set and he will want to show you afterwards just how well he has done - well it worked for me recently anyway

So, in summary if the fitter is old, knows the difference between a Coupe and an S2 and mentions without prompting that these are difficult screens then you will probably be fine. However if the fitter is young, has never heard of an S2, hates Audis and drives a Clio....you're F C U K' ed and I will beat you at the Billing 'Spit n polish n tarts waste of time washing them when you should be racing them' thingie as my A post covers are as flush as a flushed thing be flushed on flushday

Cheers n

Si
            95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
            Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
            With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

I took the S3 to National Mobile Windscreens depot in Taunton when it needed a new windscreen. They took their time on the job and it only took them 2 goes to get it right. Just mention an Audi Coupe windscreen to a fitter and an honest one will know what a PITA job it is.

I had the same problem with my S2, I bought it with a leaky RAC job.

I'm sure you've read Jas11n's experience here. They're not all bad, you just have to suss out a good'un.
              SS

Comment

Will just have to keep an eye out

Si - good advice for a change!

Im sure they'll have several nicknames for my by the time i arrive to get the screen sorted.

Will sound rather rich asking for "an old dog who's not some spotty 22 year old" when im only 20 Maybe i could bring my clio along as well to keep him occupied?

I am hoping to win the dirtiest car award at Billing this year. Stopping off at Billing on my way back from my 1600 mile round trip yours doesn't have a chance

Comment

the lad who replaced my leaky screen on the scooby was pretty young be he seemed pretty sound, talked to me about the pitfalls in replacing scooby screens and did a bang up job. The guy who did the next change (when I had the vody work repaired from the corrosion caused by the original botched change) was a monkey who wouldnt have known "straight" if you hit him with a ruler
                  Haynes Manual:As described in Chapter 7...

Translation:That'll teach you not to read through before you start, now you are looking at scarey photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Comment

Spoke to a guy at my local Autoglass recently, he seemed to know how much a pain they are, as hes doing a remove and refit under warrenty from previous effort just for the side trims leaking. Thats another thing, make sure they replace all the rivets on them, not just the odd one or two (like mines been done)

When mines on the road and i get it done will post the results on ere....
                    Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                      Si - good advice for a change!
                      Cheeky fecka, that has to be the 2nd if not 3rd time I have given good advice on here. I don't only use it as a place to taunt Jamo and Fatty (OK OK that is my main use of the place I admit :mischeif

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                      I am hoping to win the dirtiest car award at Billing this year. Stopping off at Billing on my way back from my 1600 mile round trip yours doesn't have a chance
                      Well that sounds like a challenge I can't refuse. You realise I'll have to cancel my appointment at the Tescos car wash now, although Tescos had already asked if 'I was sure as I had been twice already this year and it is only August'

Great thing is I have just done some tip runs so the boot is full of lovely rotten grass cuttings which are fermenting nicely on the boot carpet

Cheers n

Si
                      95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Simon - thou art truly an S2 Forum legend with posts of this stature...

V.good advice on the screen BTW - utterly agreed here on the approach - just hope I never have to get one done. Well that'll have put zee scud on it.

Paul
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Well i spoke to Cherry again in the evening and used your quote...

"i want it replaced by an 'old boy' who has been doing this since before the S2 existed, knows ALL the tricks of the trade and has hopefully done one of these cars.

I DO NOT want a 22 year old spotty boy has probably only ever replaced the screens of Ventra’s, Mondane’s and Clio’s, and has probably smashed more screens at night than he has fitted in the daytime!"

She laughed quite a lot and had apparently looked up the audi s2 coupe (couldnt have her getting confused with the avant) on google before calling me back.

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
                          Well that sounds like a challenge I can't refuse. You realise I'll have to cancel my appointment at the Tescos car wash now, although Tescos had already asked if 'I was sure as I had been twice already this year and it is only August'

Great thing is I have just done some tip runs so the boot is full of lovely rotten grass cuttings which are fermenting nicely on the boot carpet

Cheers n

Si

Oh, i'll be cleaning a car when i get to billing... but it wont be mine

Comment

You are doing all the right things Andy. Mine was done recently and use the "Its a Show car" line to the manager of the branch so that he was under no illusions about the quality of fitment I was looking for.

It took the guy four hours in the end, but I have to say i am satisfied, it isn't perfect, but its pretty good.

Best British!

Cheers,

Steve.
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

when i spoke to a girl at autoglass glasgow she couldn't find the s2, despite me saying "can you find an audi coupe", then phoned me back and said "ah yes I spoke to the head fitter and he said we have it under the A2. when do you want booked in?" marvellous.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              1990 CQ20v
                              2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X