The disadvantage of "big reds"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The disadvantage of "big reds"

This morning on my way to work, I was entering the off-ramp on the highway. When suddenly someone decided to stop in front of me. So I engaged my wonderfull big reds with ferrodo pads (warm) and stopped within a nice margin. But the person behind me wasn't capable of stopping that adequatley with his peugeot. So landed in my rear-end

Got some serious damage on my bumper, tin parts and lights.

Pictures follow soon!

RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
    RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
    Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
    High Octane website

But if you had ran into the car in front, it would have been your fault and you to pay for his repairs (whether through insurance or otherwise).

Thanks to your big reds its the Pug driver who has to pay up.

Its still a bummer that someone hit you, but I'd rather be hit that do the hitting.
    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Oh No - that is terrible Jeffer! That is always the problem with good brakes! and I think ABS should be standard on all cars - everytime I see one of these micro cars (Uno, MAtiz etc) with 145 tyres and no ABS, I get worried about them driving behind me! Luckily they don't stay there for long
      1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
      2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
      2006 Misano Red RS4
      2004 VW Touareg V8
      2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
      2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Interestingly - I was once told that most RS2s that end up in scrap yards are rear ended because of this. It really sucks - it just proves how piss poor the driving ability of most people is. It must be old age as I get really hacked off with anyone driving too close to my *** - especially with family in the car - and when its blatently obvious that I'm leaving a safe gap to a long queue of traffic in front of me.
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
          But if you had ran into the car in front, it would have been your fault and you to pay for his repairs (whether through insurance or otherwise).

Thanks to your big reds its the Pug driver who has to pay up.

Its still a bummer that someone hit you, but I'd rather be hit that do the hitting.
          You're totally right. And I praise them everytime I drive my car. They are superb.

Thanks guys.
          RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
          RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
          Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
          High Octane website

Comment

Real ****ed up Jeff! Maybe you should get nice peugot 106 brakes and build them on your car
            ADHD:?: :bonk:

Comment

I have swerved into the central reservation in the past (in a very controlled manner) due to someone behind me who had locked up and was heading for my rear bumper. The would have hit me too. You have to be aware of everyone around you, especially from behind when you have serious brakes. Many people panic when their brakes lock and don't have the common sense to modulate their braking and just rely on the ABS which is useless once all wheels are locked as the car can think its stationary. BTDT in very wet conditions!!
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Hope its not too serious Jeffer. I fear it could be all too easy for an insurance write off from a minor shunt from behind in the S2. I am not surprised Paul, that cars with good brakes are written off by following drivers!
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

the most stupid thing was that i was calling jeffer when this stupid Wh@nker bumped him.

It really does sux! But also proves that everybody should have Big-Reds

Cheers,

Cees

Comment

Sorry for the rearender. I am always watching the rear. Even worse these days with people on the cell phones.

I have found a solution for me for people who drive too close to the rear of my car. I toss paint balls out the sunroof. They usually back off right away. Start doing that when I rode bikes. If that doesn't work, or if you want to be a little stealth, use BBs.

Greg
                    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Like the idea of the paintballs, but not so much the pile-up after!
                      Hope you get it sorted jeffer, shame for another s2 to be of the road....
                      Oh back on the paintballs, if your on the M4 tommorrow morning and theres a string of accidents including paintballs, you'll be following me
                      Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

[QUOTE=Beetie]Like the idea of the paintballs, but not so much the pile-up after!
                        Hope you get it sorted jeffer, shame for another s2 to be of the road....
                        Oh back on the paintballs, if your on the M4 tommorrow morning and theres a string of accidents including paintballs, you'll be following me
                        Only joking!
                        Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Bummer. It almost happened to me on the motorway in Holland. Some JERK couldn't stop or was sleeping. I could see him closing in on me in the rearview mirror. He had to use the space between my car and the guard rail to avoid hitting me. Our cars ended up stopped right next to each other despite the fact that he was driving behind me.

Just be happy you didn't have some huge SUV behind you. You would have kissed you car goodbye.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident Jeffer....

I'd be interested to see the pix of your trashed rear bumper as I'm about to mount one on my CQ. I'm removing the USA mandated DOT bumper with internal rebar for the Euro bumper which I'm given to understand couldn't stop damage from a flea colliding with it. Our DOT bumpers by law are suppose to take a 5mph hit without damage to the body or anything else. Would such a bumper prevented the damage you have suffered?

Comment

Working...
                            X