Mcandmars Avant Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcandmars Avant Project

Today is a momentous occasion for me as its the day i got my avant on the road and legally imported with an Irish reg plate. It’s alive

I've been slowly working away on this project since i bought the car at the start of the year so i thought it was about time i posted some info and pics of the work to date. When i bought it i knew there was a few problems, noisy gearbox, bodged fuel lines, rusty exhaust, no handbrake, leaking PAS pump, no power assisted brakes and the bushings were all due for replacement. To top it all off within a few days the clutch packed in with the pedal stuck to the floor.

Cosmetically it is in great shape as the car had been resprayed a few years back so it wasn’t all bad news.

Stage 1: Gearbox and clutch.

The first big job to tackle was the gearbox, fuel lines, and clutch. After a little pondering of the best approach to get at them i opted to pull the engine/gearbox out and strip the engine bay back to the body work and pressure hose it all clean. I used my spare 6speed box that was intended for the coupe project so that solved the first problem.

Looking at the receipts that came with the car a new Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch had been fitted the year before. Just to be sure i pulled the pressure plate off and sure enough it was all nice and fresh looking with a sachs/luk clutch. Slave cyl was a cheap aftermarket unit which looked like it was leaking, the master cyl also showed signs of leakage so i replaced them both with original Audi parts i sourced from vagparts ages ago for my coupe project. I also replaced the release bearing with the metal version from 034.

The fuel lines were a mess, it was routed the wrong side of the master cyl so it was wedged up against the intake pipe, and along the strut brace it was all mangled and out of shape. Thanks to the forum a solution was quickly found, with a few wade connectors, copper pipe and some patience i made my own. As the engine had a fresh timing belt, water pump, and acc belts i didn’t need to do much to it. All i did was give it a quick pressure hose, replaced a few vacuum lines, new WGFV, BOV, spark plugs w/rubber boots, oil and filter. Good for another 115k miles. The rest went together fairly easy, fitted a new bomb, MarkH mod, and PAS pump to finish the job.

Stage 1 complete, car started first time, no strange noises and no leaks. And the idle was as smooth as butter, really does run like a peach! Good news is the clutch is light and smooth and works perfectly. Big thanks to Baltiboy for the PAS pump and other misc bits i needed along the way
    Attached Files
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Stage 2: Suspension and brakes

I never planned to do much in this area but you know how it is once you get started. Thanks to "David in Dublin" giving me a set of H&R's i started down the torturous road of suspension over hall.

First up was the front end, same recipe as my coupe with alloy subframe bushings, poly a-arms, Konis and H&R's, and goodridge brake lines. While in the middle of this i had to NCT(MOT) my coupe so i robbed the disks/pads off the avant to get it though the test. Luckily EBAY coughed up a set of new disks for £10 to replace them with a new set of pads. I also founds two new top mounts in my garage i didnt know i had

Now onto the rear end. What can i say about the B4 rear suspension, it’s a complete nightmare. The routing the brakes lines though every part of the suspension is a joke. And dont get me started on the camber/toe adjustment bolts. I had to buy an air powered reciprocating saw to cut some of them out. Blow torch, large mallet, hacksaw, and any other medieval tools you can think of will also come in handy.

Fast forward ~3 weeks when i finally got it apart i started with the subframe. Cleaned and painted and fitted with new alloy mounts from none other than Bambridge. Thanks again Kev! I poly bushed what i could, and replaced the rest with stock Audi bushings. I also had to make up new hard lines for the brakes so the tools i bought to make my fuel lines are starting to look like a wise investment. I would also highly recommend changing the fuel filter if you ever have the subframe out, its another headache to do.
    Attached Files

Comment

Stage 3: The minds working overtime...

That’s pretty much it to date, first thing this morning i got a four wheel alignment done, then sorted out the registration, and then washed the car for the first time. For the first time i actually feel like i own it, so everybody meet Nessy. Shes big and green and from Scotland, and with an L***NSS reg she had to be called Nessy

Now that its done i plan to take the CQ off the road, finish my engine build which will be a complete RS2 spec with forged bits and a few mods. But for the mean time i have a homefried ECU, RS2 Airbox, and cat replacement pipes to play with on the avant. It will also need an exhaust soon so there’s an excuse to buy a nice stainless system.

I also have a few cosmetic bits to fit like a 90q red centre panel, Carbon trim, 18" Avus wheels and other good stuff.

Big thank you to everyone on the forum for all the advice, and to those of you who supplied parts. I could never have done it without you

Now i'm off to put the new plates on and go for another spin
      Attached Files

Comment

mcandmar, sorry i did not catch your name!

Looks like you have spent a fair amount of time on the car, did you just paint the suspension parts or did you have them dipped, primed and painted?

Did you get the bushing from bambridge? also known as Kev

A green Avant with mk1 S8 alloys will look fantastic

John
        Last edited by Smith_S2; 14 August 2009, 20:43.

Comment

mcandmar,

OMG, well done.

You've even painted bits !

Kind regards.
          Last edited by macspring; 10 September 2011, 01:04.

Comment

Great job, smashing colour

How much was the VRT if you dont mind me asking?
            Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Great work Mark, the car looks stunning
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Looking good mate!!

Comment

Nice and proper job done there
                  Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Smith_S2 View Post
                    Looks like you have spent a fair amount of time on the car, did you just paint the suspension parts or did you have them dipped, primed and painted?
                    I cleaned everything up with a wire brush attachment on a drill, then painted with POR15. For the brakes i used proper high temp caliper paint.

Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
                    You've even painted bits !
                    Cheeky git, i couldnt have left them rusty as you would never have let me live it down

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                    Great job, smashing colour

How much was the VRT if you dont mind me asking?
                    VRT was €1440 which was a good bit less than i was expecting. That is for a 94 car with 115k miles. They have a block on quattros so you have to bring the car in for inspection, and in my case they had to apply for an evaluation so it took a few days to sort out. I deliberately never washed the car until i got it through the evaluation process, make it look as scrappy as possible

Comment

Looking good here mate

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Thanks, yea 1440 is not bad considering the C02 change. So they valued it at 4k euro.
                        I've been thinking of poor avant cloth interior and a6 steel rims for when I import my future avant lol
                        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Fast forward ~3 weeks when i finally got it apart i started with the subframe. Cleaned and painted and fitted with new alloy mounts from none other than Bambridge. Thanks again Kev! I poly bushed what i could, and replaced the rest with stock Audi

Cheers Mark,
                          Pleased i could help you out,

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                            Thanks, yea 1440 is not bad considering the C02 change. So they valued it at 4k euro.
                            I've been thinking of poor avant cloth interior and a6 steel rims for when I import my future avant lol
                            Were still taxed on engine size not emissions, only cars first registered after 1st January 2008 are taxed by emissions. When they looked at the car they only checked the mileage and chassis number, they didnt bother looking into the options like leather, alloy and sunroof. The valuation of the car seemed to be done by the main office, hence the 24hour delay. 4k was the value they estimated.

Comment

Your car looks like to have the same color as mine: Ragusa Green

Nice work mcandmar!

Comment

Working...
                              X