Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been to the ring.....

Jeezus the gt3's go round there quick!!

6 laps, the most dangerous thing I have done in years, it was brilliant!!!! I have never punished the car as much and have never driven it until the tyres turned to crap! Brakes smoking **** healing fun! I was drifting at about 80 when a gt3 did the exact same move next to me, then passed me.
    I managed to get past a few decent and not so decent motors, and got hammered by a local in a 1 litre fiesta. The place is absolutley amazing!! loads of closures cuz of accidents, a few fatalities too but the best adrenaline shot I have had in years.
    I had the trip for my birthday present25-28 june, run by a lad called Dino as the nurburg100 experience. We met up in folkstone, jumped on the tunnel and 260 miles after getting off we were at the ring.

Before going, I got an engine, ecu and injectors off the Hoff himself and fitted it up about 3 weeks before going. The motor ran well and did the school runs and a bit of dashing without any tantrums.
    After filling it with 102 octane fuel it turned into an absolute nutter, and there are few things more exciting than getting round that track in one piece.Whilst there I went to Luxembourg for something to do, and after sunday racing I nipped up to amsterdam to say hello. Left at 9 in the morning, back home by 10 that night, and the next morning it gets used for school runs and shopping while I sleep.
    A 17 year old car that did 2300 miles in 72 hours in 5 different countries, giving roughly 400 horses at nearly 30 to the gallon on the motorway, and less than 5 to the gallon(with flames so I heard out the back) on the track. Yokohame paradas are very good tyres and my new discs are a nice shade of blue.

School run in the morning!!

Awesome!!!!!
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by bernsaudi View Post
      Jeezus the gt3's go round there quick!!

Sounds like you had a good trip

When you next off?
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Sounds like you had a good trip. The local lads are mental in there Polo bread vans and the likes of. I can't wait to go back next year.
        Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

I've got to go back and do it again, not on a weekend next time cuz its chaos. Stopped in the burgstube hotel about half a mile from the track entrance. My prop had come undone, and the owner of the hotel lent me a trolly jack and had the perfect bolt to replace the (luckily) only bolt that had gone west but the others weren't far behind. After stopping overnight in the Dam, all my wheels had come loose just enough to show up as i got onto the motorways, that was a bit of a twitchy 10 minutes. I was doing 130 up from luxembourg when a phaeton strolled past me a good 30 to 40 mph faster. The engine hasnt used a drop of oil or coolant, and its like having a new car, even though the front end it now a bit rattly. Will fix later in the week. This old wagon has completely exceeded my expectations this time around, and four wheel smoking drifts are something you never forget. Saw a few other s2's and rs2's, so if anyone is on the forum who knows em, do chime in please!

Comment

Sounds like a spirited drive and great fun
            Shane

Comment

a few fatalities? christ almighty is that normal out there? I'm yet to make it there for high octane shenanigans but itching to experience it.

brilliant that it's a classic, the school run car and race car all at the same time
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              1990 CQ20v
              2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Sounds like a good trip

As for fatalities, they are not as common as some make out, its the normal chit chat when your there that someone died that day but its not always the case, I had a incident there which involved a helicopter being called out, the guy survived but everyone that evening was saying that he died as they assume if the chopter was called then someone was brown bread.

That said on the weekend we went 2 people did actually get killed and I have been before when I know someone dropped it near Adenau bridge and died as we witnessed it. Its a tough old track, take every trip as a new one as the surface changes and its been known to catch many people out, normally the Porkas !

Were back there next year, when I sort out some dates I'll post them up incase anyone wants to tag along. Can't make my mind up if to trailer mine or drive it yet though !

Comment

Originally posted by Nj View Post
                  brilliant that it's a classic, the school run car and race car all at the same time
                  Shane

Comment

The fatalities were in a car that lifted and landed on the roof at 100 plus (might have been by Adenau), I think 3 bikers suffered bad plus a few minor wrecks,.

The danger I think is worse when the track has been shut for a bit so people get impatient and that is one mindset you dont want when you go into the track. The way I see it is that if you go in without bearing in mind all the possibilites you are in danger such as the loose wheel I suffered after the car had cooled down, didnt give it a thought to check em, lesson learnt.

On the other hand I dont have a life which is full of cotton wool and have a fairly dangerous job, so I am a bit of a worrier. I think this instinct kept me well on the track as much as it does day to day. Point being there is nothing that can prepare you for going on that track, and track knowledge is king.

Every time I saw someone coming in fast behind me I got out of the way to the right until they had passed unless I was paced evenly with them. If you are in a group of vehicles that are at about the same pace, you can dogfight.
                    I loved every minute on the track and cant wait to do it again, I would like to go over as a forum group that would be fun(plus we can all take a few spares). I'll certainly be up for going again in a month or two although I may have to 'nip' to amsterdam on the last night again just to be sociable

I fancy getting a little place over there that I can rent out when I'm not there, but we'll see.

Comment

all these trips to Amsterdam and a dangerous job, you must be either a drug trafficer or a pimp?

Seriously though, sounds like you have na awesome trip... not jealous at all!

Any more pics?
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I work in remote locations on generators for telecomms, lots of 4x4ing and atv's and getting cooked by transmitters, so its a bit of work hard play hard for me, and will be again.
                        I've got a video that corrupted on my blackberry so I will have a look into recovery software, I'm waiting for more pics to turn up.and cash.and time.and cash

Comment

Originally posted by bernsaudi View Post
                          I've got to go back and do it again, not on a weekend next time cuz its chaos. Stopped in the burgstube hotel about half a mile from the track entrance. My prop had come undone, and the owner of the hotel lent me a trolly jack and had the perfect bolt to replace the (luckily) only bolt that had gone west but the others weren't far behind. After stopping overnight in the Dam, all my wheels had come loose just enough to show up as i got onto the motorways, that was a bit of a twitchy 10 minutes. I was doing 130 up from luxembourg when a phaeton strolled past me a good 30 to 40 mph faster. The engine hasnt used a drop of oil or coolant, and its like having a new car, even though the front end it now a bit rattly. Will fix later in the week. This old wagon has completely exceeded my expectations this time around, and four wheel smoking drifts are something you never forget. Saw a few other s2's and rs2's, so if anyone is on the forum who knows em, do chime in please!
                          Martin is a total gent we were at the Bergstube a couple of weeks back

Sounds like a great trip and you are right, you really have to respect the place or it will bite back and hard. I doubt i'd ever chase a time down at the place to be honest, it's all about the line at that place, if you can hook up to that then speed will fall in naturally.

That feeling you get when the barrier lifts and you saunter out through the cones is priceless. I did 3 back to back laps on my own this time which was a first and it was amazing, straight off the circuit, scan and back on, one of the best things about a weekday visit i think. I'm not sure there is a bigger rush to be honest, certainly it rates higher in my book than throwing myself off the planet on a rubber band etc

I'd like to be back this year, however at the moment its not looking likely, anyone know how long the laps last on a card?

David
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                            anyone know how long the laps last on a card?

David
                            End of the year. They reset on 1st January.
                            S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

hmmm, need to up my negotiating skills then
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X