gear selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear selection

evenin all, firstly havin problems changin 1st to 2nd at high revs, secondly bar from havin the box recconed has anyone tryed or put an newer s4/rs4, or even a urs4 box in or any other solutions help please thanks

Check the front snub mount, I found that when mine was gone it was almost impossible to shift into 2nd at high rpm from the engine twist causing the linkage on the shifter to be out of mechanical alignment.
    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by RWD19T View Post
      Check the front snub mount, I found that when mine was gone it was almost impossible to shift into 2nd at high rpm from the engine twist causing the linkage on the shifter to be out of mechanical alignment.
      cheers mate, but whats a snub mount?, also just to clarrify it crunches changin gear 1st 2nd at high rpm

Comment

at the front of your engine the rubber mount that stops it lifting up

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
          at the front of your engine the rubber mount that stops it lifting up
          oh never knew the correct name for it, cheers

Comment

The rubber had disintegrated on mine and ended up missing. It was so bad didn't even crunch in the end I couldn't even get anywhere near engaging 2nd at high rpm. If however it is not that the bad news is that either your clutch isn't engaging the full way but then you'd expect the problem in other gears too or the synchromesh in the box is shot.
            UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by RWD19T View Post
              The rubber had disintegrated on mine and ended up missing. It was so bad didn't even crunch in the end I couldn't even get anywhere near engaging 2nd at high rpm. If however it is not that the bad news is that either your clutch isn't engaging the full way but then you'd expect the problem in other gears too or the synchromesh in the box is shot.
              Im thinkin the latter box is ****ed,

Comment

hi.
                my experience was different, the car's power cut off especially when changing to 3rd gear on more than 2000RPM. This happen quite often but not always..... what could the problem be?
                2002 A3 8L
                2005 TT 3.2 Quattro
                2007 A4 Avant B7 (hers)
                2009 100 C4
                2009 A6 Avant (hers)
                2010 RS2
                2010 S2 Saloon
                2011 KTM SuperDuke 990 Olive Green

Comment

Originally posted by bad8008 View Post
                  hi.
                  my experience was different, the car's power cut off especially when changing to 3rd gear on more than 2000RPM. This happen quite often but not always..... what could the problem be?
                  check the butterfly on the throttle body is clean and that the throttle dampener is correctly adjusted this would cause a problem as described.
                  UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

^^^^NIP if your box is as the latter then if it is already a 6 speed box you can fit the later s4/rs4 in with no issues other than needing to locate an oil cooler. Or the UrS4/S6 doesn't have an oil cooler. If it is a 5 speed which is the better box for racing when it comes to changing gears I'd be tempted to rebuild it as ultimately a rebuild box although a little bit dearer than a second hand one at least you will know what condition it is in once fixed.
                    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

I'd put my money on a worn 2nd gear syncro. I've been doing a bit of research on box rebuilding as i have three of them in the garage, two with noisy bearings, and one good one. Problem is i cant remember which is which

Anyway, some of the parts are reasonable money from Audi. Syncro rings are approx 30-40 quid each, but the hub they run in are 2-300 quid each. A new set of gaskets and a couple of syncro rings wont break the bank and should do the job nicely. I would imagine any place rebuilding gearboxs only change the rings?

I also found this thread which covers a rebuild doing just that. Worth a read as there is some interesting info on the different syncro rings.. http://search.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1721387
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                      X