S2 right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 right for me?

To start,this is my first post on here so, Hello!

Currently i own a golf mk2 gti 8v and have found it great fun, i have been able to take on some minorish work such as fitting rear discs/pads, axel bushes, wheel bearings, airbox mod and so on as well as some rust/stone chip repairs. Found some parts of it tricky but there is a good community behind the mk2, much like it seems there is for the S2 on here.

So, im a student(22yo), 2 years left to go and this thread is basically about my finances stretching to getting an s2 and keeping it for the next 2 years before i run out of money! As well as how difficult it is to maintain doing the work yourself.

My budget for buying is really around 4k and i was wondering how much i would be needing to spend (assuming nothing goes terribly wrong) in 2 years keeping it going.
    Il probably be doing around 7k each year, half of it being long trips from scotland to manchester and the other half city driving.
    Its obviously a more complex car than the mk2, so i dont know how much i would be able to do myself?

Wanted an S2 for as long as i knew there was such a thing and the worst thing i can imagine is getting it and having to get rid of it due to maintenance costs.

Any wisdom anyone can share will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

Originally posted by Chewit View Post

Currently i own a golf mk2 gti 8v and have found it great fun, i have been able to take on some minorish work such as fitting rear discs/pads, axel bushes, wheel bearings, airbox mod and so on as well as some rust/stone chip repairs. Found some parts of it tricky but there is a good community behind the mk2, much like it seems there is for the S2 on here.

So, im a student(22yo), 2 years left to go and this thread is basically about my finances stretching to getting an s2 and keeping it for the next 2 years before i run out of money! As well as how difficult it is to maintain doing the work yourself.

My budget for buying is really around 4k and i was wondering how much i would be needing to spend (assuming nothing goes terribly wrong) in 2 years keeping it going.
    Il probably be doing around 7k each year, half of it being long trips from scotland to manchester and the other half city driving.
    Its obviously a more complex car than the mk2, so i dont know how much i would be able to do myself?

Wanted an S2 for as long as i knew there was such a thing and the worst thing i can imagine is getting it and having to get rid of it due to maintenance costs.

Thanks,

Andy.
    Get a decent one with a service history and it's likely your main running cost will be petrol. This looks good money and in good nick if it's genuine re the Audi FSH.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1823605.htm

Comment

Thanks,

Andy.
      Hi Andy,

And welcome to the Forum...

I have both a Stunning MK2 & A Beaut of an S2.

And like you can do "Some" work on the golf, changed suspension brakes etc... The Golf is a simple bolt together car which is very simple to work on...

The S2 is a completely different beast.... I hardly touch her.. she's a much more complicated and built to a much higher standard... I have to get my Mechanic to sort her out if anything goes wrong (not that much does as I only use it at weekends)...

That's the next issue.... Running costs; S2 ones are twice as much as a Mk2 Golf....

If you do go for an S2 you are in the right place to get all the help you could ever need.... And you don't get all the stupid questions you do on some of the Golf forums...

The only other issue that always comes up with an S2 is the cost of parts and sometimes the lack of them...

I love owning both cars, but for a day to day car my Golf wins hands down every time... But I want a blast out comes the Audi (and the wallet)....

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Seriously as a student I couldn't have afforded mine. Barely can afford
        the petrol now. They r easy enough to maintain as longas you can get the parts. You just have to put your noggin to it more. Also I would ave cried if anything happened to mine at uni as the inevitable student trashing that occurs

Comment

As a student with your budget I'd stick with your Golf GTi unless you have proper mechanical experience, ie can rebuild a head at the very least. Though now maybe the time to invest in an S2 and mothball it for a few years, if you can do so, prices are low currently. These cars require a good deal more effort and/or funds to keep in good order. MKII GTi's are great fun and so simple and cheap to work on, many of us on have either run them or still do so. Just my honest opinion.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Definitly not really a car to run on a very tight budget!
            Have you got any insurance quotes yet?
            Running costs can be pretty high, but also the mods, some of which are pretty much essential even on a standard one (if that makes sense lol)
            IE, some must be done to fix weak spots to keep them more reliable (Intercooler O ring for one)

Comment

Tough call, I'd lean towards sticking with the Golf until the finances aren't such a problem though. Because these cars are old enough that you may need to since a few hundred into it once in a while.

That said, I bought my S2 coupe aged 22 when i got my first 'proper' job and covered the first 20k with only a replacement rear caliper being required. Then my radiator split, at the time it was beyond me to change (done it twice since on my Avant lol) so ended up at in the garage for a full engine rebuild as well - with lotsa upgrades
              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Have to agree with Ross, I used to run a Mk2 to take the strain off the S2, in saying that in running my S2 Coupe most of the expense I spent was on mods as I got a good ABY car, only major problems I had were having to replace the aux and main rad

Comment

Thanks for all the replys!

The budget would probably be able to stretch to around 1k for replacement parts and so on in the next 2 years with 4k going on the car. Tho if i cant do the work myself, i doubt this will be enough??
                  (As far as mechanical experiance goes i havn't undertaken anything as complex as rebuilding a head. most ive had to do with the golf is take off the rear axel to replace bushes,boots and bearings. maybe it was because it was the first major thing i had done but that was well stressfull!)
                  Ive heard a few people saying its difficult to find garages who know their way round an S2, anyone know a good one thats cheap anywhere near Dundee? Would be nice to have peace of mind if i got one and anything did go wrong...

Insurance quote i got for 10months was 740, which i was pretty chuffed at, only 120 more than im paying for the golf atm.

As far as petrol costs go most of the long distance driving il be doing will be with 3 other people in the car so i have them to foot the bill for my enjoyment

I know what you mean about costs of mods, spent at least 700 on the golf since i got it with uprated front discs,jetex exhaust, set of BBS's and so on .
                  If i were to find an S2 with some of the "standard" mods already done within my budget (is that likely?) would it be a better investment to get me through until i get some work?

Comment

Thanks for all the replys!

As far as petrol costs go most of the long distance driving il be doing will be with 3 other people in the car so i have them to foot the bill for my enjoyment
                    Have you checked the size of the Boot on an S2... It's about a 10th of the golf!!!

If i were to find an S2 with some of the "standard" mods already done within my budget (is that likely?) would it be a better investment to get me through until i get some work?
                    £4K sould get you a well sorted S2 Coupe with "Some" mods done..... 996 Brake Upgrade Etc...

HTH

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                      Have you checked the size of the Boot on an S2... It's about a 10th of the golf!!!

£4K sould get you a well sorted S2 Coupe with "Some" mods done..... 996 Brake Upgrade Etc...

HTH
                      Hah, yeah, ive seen the boot size, and the spare wheel size for that matter! Its kindof one of those things you just convince yourself wont be an issue... im sure it'l be fine.. knees were made for bags to sit on right.

What other upgrades should i be on the look out for?

Comment

Bigger downpipe and exhaust, homefries chipped, bushes, samco hoses boost and water

S2spikes car would have been ideal but it's no longer on the market, Dest Avant which just sold for 3K would have been perfect also.

Acidburn will have one for sale as well dunno when though

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                          Hi Andy,

And welcome to the Forum...

I have both a Stunning MK2 & A Beaut of an S2.

And like you can do "Some" work on the golf, changed suspension brakes etc... The Golf is a simple bolt together car which is very simple to work on...

The S2 is a completely different beast.... I hardly touch her.. she's a much more complicated and built to a much higher standard... I have to get my Mechanic to sort her out if anything goes wrong (not that much does as I only use it at weekends)...

That's the next issue.... Running costs; S2 ones are twice as much as a Mk2 Golf....

If you do go for an S2 you are in the right place to get all the help you could ever need.... And you don't get all the stupid questions you do on some of the Golf forums...

The only other issue that always comes up with an S2 is the cost of parts and sometimes the lack of them...

I love owning both cars, but for a day to day car my Golf wins hands down every time... But I want a blast out comes the Audi (and the wallet)....
                          I agree utterly with the above

Comment

its not easy but it would be possible to run one on a lower budget....but you need to find a reasonable example that has had lots of the usual bits replaced. They are all going to be noth of 100k miles so the more receipted and documented work you can find the better (even if it was done by the owner themselves) would be a good start.

Whatever you do, get underneath one and look about, check the diff seals, gearbox seals, centre prop mount, fuel lines, state of the exhaust etc as these will always be a PITA on the driveway and likely fairly expensive in a garage for labour rather than the actual price of the parts. Having said that there wont be many that dont have wet seals, just be vigilant, it will save you money in the long run.

I'd budget for £1-2k per year on maintaining the car...tyres, servicing, a couple of unforeseen niggles to sort and maybe a small pressie and you should be fine Just make sure you run it often, they absolutely hate to be sat and thats when things deteriorate in my opinion.
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

If you only have a grand or so to spend a year on running it, you need to find one that wont need a cambelt doing for a fair while, or with things like that you will easily use up the budget very quickly!

Comment

Working...
                              X