Gone an bought a Clio sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gone an bought a Clio sport

Well..not mine, its actually the wife's!

Been chewing on what car to get her for ages now, looked into the usuals - A3's, S3's, TT's & Golfs but good as they are just seemed a bit common now (and a bird she works with has just got an older TT so that was def out!).
    Started looking down the French route and for 3-4k you can get a sorted 182 Clio. We took one for a drive, typically French build quality compared to VAG, but what a fun car!! Trouble is, there was a bit more money in the pot and she wanted something newer.

Started looking into the newer equivilent of the 182, thats the 197 (newest being the 200) and that seemed to fit the bill. Found one semi local with cup chassis and took it for a spin, again, even though its newer..still typically French flimsy. Thing is, this is part of the cars charm in a way and even though i didnt "really" push it on the test drive, you could just tell..it handled a peach!

So, been on the look out for nearly 3 months to find a decent one with the right spec/miles etc'....ohh, and it HAD to be red. Eventually a R27 cropped up (a Ltd edition with Cup chassis, F1 graphics & pretty specced out as standard), it was a private sale, one owner car off a true Renault Sport enthusiast (he runs one of the megane forums,this was his wifes car) so you can imagine its been very well looked after. Its a totally standard car apart from Cup rear spoiler, front splitter and also LED's in interior/number plate etc..

Its at just over 20k miles now with FRSH, I also negotiated new Contisports to go on day before i picked her up. Tuning wise, as its a NA 2.0L, even a remap, filter & exhaust is only going to be pushing 15-20hp MAX so not really up to much. You do have to rev to nutz out of it to keep it on the boil (similar to a v-tec), theres not much lower down and the gearing is more biased for track, certainly not motorway cruising but thats not what these cars are about. Comes with Recaros as standard on R27 but the bases just don't let you sit low enough. Its fine for the Mrs but not really for me. Even in standard form, handling is immense and brakes are ace, its the first FWD car (apart from the 182 cup I drove) that I've had real fun driving. Can imagine its gonna be a right crack on track with a set of stickies. (Yeah, just popping to the shops love..!! )

I'm under very strict instructions to keep it standard, although, I've already ordered a 2nd hand pair of RS skirts to compliment aero kit. I may try and sly some H&R springs and 16mm spacers on and see if she notices, seems to be the way to go for best stance on these. Anyway, here you go, a few pics:

Comment

Looks like a fun little toy, as with all French hot hatches, keep the side windows clean as you never know when you might need em
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Good fun!

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
        keep the side windows clean as you never know when you might need em
        inside rear wheel anyone? You won't be using it much anyway :mischeif:
        Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

That will be a right hoot to drive

Light, small, fast front wheel drive cars are always fun
          sigpic
          "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
          BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
          1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
          2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Nice I've got a 172 and it's a great little car, like a mk.2 Golf with aircon and cruise
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Nice car

Fabia VRS????
              Audi A6 AEL 5cyl Quattro breaking.
              Audi A5 3.0tdi Quattro Stage 2

Comment

Yeah, its a great crack i'm getting the skirts put on friday. I followed her to work in it yesterday and was genuinely shocked by how many people stop & stare. My crap pics dont really do the slightly wider bodywork any justice, got a couple more from the seller which show it a bit more tho.

Im sure the Fabia's a wicked little car also but not keen on the shape.
                Attached Files

Comment

great little cars, and they are quick on track mostly as they don't slow down for corners!
                  IMHO I wouldn't mess with the ride height & track width, you'd be hard pushed to improve on Renault's set-up
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Very nice, when I was going to sell my S2 a sports Megane or Clio was an option, these things might have dodgy build quality but they are serious fun. Still want a 172 as a daily driver
                    Last edited by Jamo; 15 February 2012, 12:46.

Comment

I know of one that could be had if / when Jamo
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                        Very nice, when I was going to sell my S2 a sports Megane or Clio was an option, these things might have dodgy build quality but they are serious fun. Still want a 172 as a daily driver
                        Yeah, they're all proper flimsy plastic inside, and panels seem well thin. I'd have been more than happy with a 182 also. Serious tho, have a rip in one, as an everyday cheap'ish fun car i reckon 172/182 be hard to beat for the money, and sell it on for similar coin in a years time.

Comment

Working...
                        X