Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1988 MK II 16V with the 'correct' wheels fitted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1988 MK II 16V with the 'correct' wheels fitted.

My daily driver MK II Golf GTi 16V now I've fitted the summer wheels. A correct set of 6"X14" ET 33 BBS RA's, these would have been the original factory option at the time over the OE VAG Alloys. It's a real belter, which I was very lucky to get my hands on!!! 113K miles, FSH, original factory leather in Black, EW, PAS ,CL ETC and finished in the best colour (IMO) for a MK II, Oak Green.

Car used to belong to Forum members, quattrofeaver, then Trist28 with whom I collected the car from London. Tristan sold it to me as he's got 2 X S2 Avant's as well as a couple of other projects and didn't have time for this car as well. I called dibs when we picked her up nearly Three years ago now, very glad, as she's mine now. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun.

I'm blasting round in it at the moment whilst I get my Corrado's G60 charger rebuilt, have to say it's hardly a hardship. The thing will do 40MPG, driven with care and if chose to use my right foot I'll still see 30 MPG, unless in hooligan mode

It was one of the last cars to be driven over to the UK by VAG, as opposed to mass transported. I have the original paper work signed in Germany by some dude, confirming the spec and stating that he is to drive the the car to the UK with care.

It's dirty because I use it, ie rag the nuts off it!!!

Over the next year the plan is an Audi 80 6A bottom end from a quattro I broke last year. I have a recently skimmed, pressure tested reconditioned head, with as new guides/matched valves with new stem seals, I'm going to lightly flow and match the manifolds etc. Custom Four branch manifold using Audi 7A Tubular EM, KR Cam's maybe slightly reground as I have a few sets to play with. Seam welded wish-bones and front subframe, Corrado ARB. ALL!! Bushes replaced with Poly items, new ball joints, tie rods etc. I have all the parts required to do that work sat waiting on the shells in my workshop., going to use a MK I Corrado subframe and wishbones as I have them to hand and can get them sand blasted, powder coated and assembled with all bushes ready to bolt straight up. The car came with Koni adjustable rear dampers fitted and I have a nearly new set sat waiting to go on the front, springs are staying stock.

At some point both sides are going to be painted as there's a few dent and scratches to get rid of. Performance first though!!

Plus a couple of shots of the S2's front end now I've got it to fit together properly and clear the inter-cooler. I'd love to be getting her finished next but my priority must be spending the next month on my T4 Carravelle. Finishing the body work for the next owner who has paid a deposit for me to paint in West Brom White and Blue. There's 3K cash sat waiting for me when it's ready to hand over. 1K of which is ear marked for the S2's final evolution, including, Tax, MOT, service parts followed by custom mapping

Attached Files
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 3 May 2012, 23:10.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Nice
    Is the GTI a.campaign spec? I had an atlas grey campaign spec 8v, which burned more oil than petrol
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Love the valver Kit, it seems now you have the full stable of early 90s VAG hot hatches?
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

As far as I know it's just a 1988 car with a really high spec, the orginal buyers were Morgan Stanly in the city of London, they had it for a couple of years from new. Guess it was blasted around London by a chap in Red braces equpited with a massive mobile phone for it's first few years, whoever it was got through Two gearboxes. The Centre console bares wittness to some sort of large device and the FSH suggests it was owned by various 'city boys' for the first Ten years of it life.

'Quattrofeaver' on here owned her for many years, but had hardy driven it in the last Four years. By the time I got the car from Tristan the poor thing had been stood still for Two years. Both fuel pumps had seized solid from lack of use, so not a challangig fix. By the way one can use an early S2 Fuel pump to replace the main unit located under the car. Don't know if it's an upgrade or not, I can say it works a treat.

Comment

Nice. I love those Oak Green MkII's with the small bumpers and leather. Jealous of your collection there bud!

Comment

Very nice really would like one of these in grey with the big bumpers. Great MPG I could do with that as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              Love the valver Kit, it seems now you have the full stable of early 90s VAG hot hatches?
              Cheers for the positive comments guys, I'd love an E30 BMW as well to complete my retro German garage, a mullet and tash could follow. A 325 IS would be just the job, though in all seriousness I have my hands full with the Golf 16V, S2 and Corrado G60. But if I come across a bargain BM then who knows

Been very busy this week sorting out an 8V Corrado for a member on here, who's also on CA as well as the Corrado forum.

Details of my weeks work can be seen here. Done a couple of days building as well

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...my-new-corrado
              Last edited by K Simmonds; 3 May 2012, 21:54. Reason: More info

Comment

As u know kit, im a big fan of this car, she's a beaut!!
                Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

I want a Passat VR6... Now there's a proper mullet mobile

Was saying to a mate that I wanted to build a mk.2 16v track car to take on his... but was going to start with a Clio 172 Cup
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    I want a Passat VR6... Now there's a proper mullet mobile

Was saying to a mate that I wanted to build a mk.2 16v track car to take on his... but was going to start with a Clio 172 Cup
                    Mmmm, VR6 Passat, is that with an auto changer full of David Hasslehoff's greatest hit's? Great stealth car mind you!

My Golf isn't going to be a track car, the S2 is for that. However it is going to be getting some serious suspension/brake mod's. Going to stitch weld the Corrado wishbones and subframe I have to hand before powder coating and fitting poly bushes etc. Then I need to find some way of grafting the 280mm front brakes from the the V6 Coupe I've just broken on to her. It's very close to fitting with the ET33 wheels, in fact with a 5mm spacer they 'just' fit, if I have the callipers shaved a little it'll work.

Comment

I thought the wheels were 14s? 256 brakes will be more than enough with decent discs and pads. Sell the 280s on or fit some S2 G60s and master cylinder with some yellowstuff pads and special Vauxhall discs
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Passat + VR6 24v would be the way forwards.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I thought the wheels were 14s? 256 brakes will be more than enough with decent discs and pads. Sell the 280s on or fit some S2 G60s and master cylinder with some yellowstuff pads and special Vauxhall discs

Yep, sticking 14"'s partly for originality's sake but I also find the side-wall give of 185/60/14 profile tyre's ideal for the bumpy lanes round here. I do have a set of Corrado 6 X 15'" Sebring's that I could use if I felt like going for 15"'s.

Like these.

you have a good point, the standard 256 brakes work just fine, maybe I'd be better of flogging the V6 brake on and using the time and money on other area's of the car and some decent pads . I have a set of S2's G60's which I plan to fit to my G60 Corrado after they have seen service running the S2 in
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by K Simmonds; 3 May 2012, 22:33.

Comment

Give me a shout when you fit them and I'll point you in the right direction for some upgraded, bigger discs
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Give me a shout when you fit them and I'll point you in the right direction for some upgraded, bigger discs
                              For the Corrado right? What works? Guessing maybe some Ford disc's.

Comment

Working...
                              X