Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VagOrBust's 1995 UrS6 Sedan

Hello everybody,

After watching this forum and reading all the ongoings for several years I thought it was time to introduce myself and my cars.
    I am Peter, a 34 year Audi youngtimer fan from Holland and I own 3 cars (and a tractor) and all of the cars have a 5 cilinder engine:
    An Audi S2, which is my long term project and reminds me constantly that time is flying by much faster then I'd like:

A Mercedes G Class with a 3 liter 5 cilinder diesel (the one on the left) and a Ford 3910 which can be seen on the background:

And the car that I've been using as a daily driver for a little over a year now, my UrS6 Sedan:

It's a 1995 UrS6 with the 2.2 turbo engine we all know and love so well. I've imported it from Germany and since I bought it I've been working to keep it in a good condition.
    The first thing I had a garage do was placing a new cam belt and refreshing all the fluids. After that I got to work and among the things I've done so far are:
    - Tidying the wiring of the after market rear speakers and amplifier:

- Giving the leather parts some new paint:

- Mounting a 3 spoke steering wheel:

- Mounting the Avus rimms from the S2 onto the S6:

- Replacing the original stock coils with a set from EFI-Express

And most importantly, replacing everything after the hot side of the turbo with a custom made stainless steel exhaust system with a 2,75" downpipe, a 200 CPI sportscat and 2 absorption dampers.
    Which I kinda lost the pictures of, so I'll make some new one in the future.

For now that's it, 'cause I have to get back to finding the source of my boost leak. I've made a boost testing kit and so far the biggest leak I've found is the brand new 710N that I bought last week, but this may be due to improper testing.

Lastly I would like to thank all of you who have shared their knowledge on this forum and have so helped me fix my cars several times. Without the electric drawings on S2Central.net and the many detailed post of users like UrS4Boy I would be reliant on the official Audi dealer *shudder*.
    Attached Files
    5 cilinder addict:
    1995 UrS6, 2.2 turbo, daily driver, EFI coilkit, custom exhaust.
    1993 S2, 2.2 turbo, ABY, long term project.
    2006 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. Because reasons.

Welkom

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
      Welkom
      Bedankt man!

And onwards: I'm still working on the boostleak. I have retested the KAISER 710N and it turns out it is ok. When testing I've learned you must supply pressure to both the boost side and the small top side. The pressure on the small top side helps to keep it closed.
      So I put the new 710N into the car along with some fresh new vacuum/boost hose to the air intake.

Next up I attached the boost test kit to the car using fresh new stainless steel clamps:

Because I like to play it safe i decided to seal the Idle stabilisation valve with some polyester resin so it should never leak again. (I have yet to test it, but it looks good.)

Alse, to excluse any leaky hoses, I've ordered a set of 034 Motorsport boost hoses for my AAN engine. The delivery was very fast. I ordered them on thuesday evening and they arrived on friday, which allowed me to work on the car during the weekend.

In order to be able to work onder the car, I've placed it on supports, since my car bridge is currently occupied with my dad's Mercedes.
      Still, the car is high enough for me to roll underneath!
      (Important note to anyone who tries this: Your car will try to roll backwards if you lift it up on more then one point. Just putting on the handbrake is probably NOT ENOUGH. Always put something behind the rear wheels so that the car doesn't roll backwards.)

Next to the 034 boost hoses I also ordered the reinforced "Tee" hose with the stainless steel one way valve. Removing the throttle body gives a good acces to that "Tee" hose:

Most of the hoses are no big problem to tie down, except for the boost hose on top of the intercooler. However, by removing the headlight that also becomes easily accessible.

So, after all that work I expected my leak problems to be over.
      Well, no such luck, I still couldn't get more then 0,8 bar above atmosphere. So I sprayed with soapy water the hoses and found that nearly all of the silicone hoses were still leaking. And I don't dare tighten them down any stronger, because it will probably break the plastic connection of the intercooler and the plastic pipe that runs underneath the car. I could use two small clamps per connection, but instead I've taken a day off and tomorrow I'll go and buy some industry grade wideband clamps. If those won't do the job then I'll be very disappointed in these silicone hoses.
      Attached Files
      5 cilinder addict:

Comment

Hmm that's not a good thing, hopefully other clamps will sort it but I don't think so actually...
        Why didn't you get some hoses from Germany or the UK btw?

Comment

Welcome, lovely urS6, looks great in silver with the Avus rims. You'll need a second set for the Coupe now.

Black factory leather from another urS6 car would be a nice upgrade ?

Just one point, and others may advise one way or the other, the 034 stainless valve for part of the oil breather system, may not be as good as a new oem one from the dealer ?

Best wishes.

Comment

your Urs6 looks way so clean.
            one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Nice S-cars (S2 and UrS6). Welcome to the forum.

A couple of questions:

1. I assume you saw my AAN boost testing post: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63987 ?

2. I am not sure why your boost testing bungs are so big/long. Can you explain more?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

,s2 look nice, more photos of s2 please

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  1. I assume you saw my AAN boost testing post: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63987 ?
                  2. I am not sure why your boost testing bungs are so big/long. Can you explain more?
                  1. Yes, but I actually found the same info from you from Audiworld.com. Great posts btw!
                  2. No specific reason. Those were some pieces I had left, however it is handy on the intake side so that it can all rest between the air filter housing and the waste gate.

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                  1. You'll need a second set for the Coupe now.
                  2. Black factory leather from another urS6 car would be a nice upgrade ?
                  3. Just one point, and others may advise one way or the other, the 034 stainless valve for part of the oil breather system, may not be as good as a new oem one from the dealer ?
                  1. Absolutely. The Avus rimms are some of the best looking available.
                  2. I've thought about those and I do love the black leather, but it has a very low priority. The current seats are in fairly good shape and I want to spent the money on the S2.
                  Maybe when the lottery wants to help with my early retirement plans.
                  3. The stainless steel valve just looked like a nice piece of hardware. Let's hope it's no worse the OEM.

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                  Why didn't you get some hoses from Germany or the UK btw?
                  The main reason I went for the 034 motorsport silicone hoses is because they are supposed to be more flexible then regular silicone hoses, which should make them easier to use and better to clamp down.

Originally posted by ansid View Post
                  ,s2 look nice, more photos of s2 please
                  Thanks all! The S2 will get it's own topic once I'm ready to get at it again. Right now I need to get my S6 in good shape and then my Mercedes is due for MOT so that will be my main focus for the next 2 months or so. After that I'm going to get the S2 project back on track.

Back to my boostleak:
                  Today I bought some nice big T-Bolt Clamps in order to tackle the leaking of the silicone hoses.

These industrial grade clamps can provide enough clamping force to crush most piping (especially the plastic piping my S6 has) but if these won't do the trick I don't know what will. So I got all the hoses back on and made shure that the clamps were all in the right position. Except for the exit port of the intercooler (not enough hose, so the clamp slides of when tightning) I managed to get them all clamped down nicely. And then I pressure tested the boost circuit with the soap again.

Bubbles...

Lots of bubbles....

So I tightend the clamps down as much as I thought was bareable for the plastic fittings, but even on the turbo it leaked air.
                  So I wrote an e-mail to 034 Motorsport, explaining the situation and asked them for their opinion. Well see what they respond.

The most frustrating bit of this is: If you look at my pressure testing kit, the hose that normally connects to the MAF and that I connect to the kit has a lot of room to spare. I'd say that it's nearly 1 cm bigger in diameter then the pipe I use in my test kit, but I can clamp that down leak free with a small clamp without much hassle.
                  Attached Files
                  5 cilinder addict:

Comment

Thanks for the reply re: Boost testing.

As for clamps, most of us over here don't like the T-clamps that 034 (and others) sell. We tend to use Breeze Constant Torque Clamps, especially when installing Samcos. You can reinforce the plastic UrS6 crossover pipe to prevent crushing by inserting a metal sleeve of the correct diameter.

Click here for more info

Here are a couple showing on this photo of my engine:

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                      1. As for clamps, most of us over here don't like the T-clamps that 034 (and others) sell. We tend to use Breeze Constant Torque Clamps, especially when installing Samcos.
                      2. You can reinforce the plastic UrS6 crossover pipe to prevent crushing by inserting a metal sleeve of the correct diameter.
                      1.1. Ok, it's dumb question time, but do you get a fully airtight connection with those clamps and the Samco hoses?
                      1.2. Is there more then 1 spring rating for these clamps? Or to put it another way: Do you have to chose a spring in order to chose what kind of clamping torque you want?
                      1.3. These 034 Motorsport hoses seem to be layered and I'm also wondering if maybe they're leaking between the layers. For now, can you tell me if the Samco hoses are one solid mass like rubber hoses or are they also layered?

2. The crossover pipe that's under my car already has some kind of metal sleeve inserted. I don't know if this is an original part or after-market?

Well one workday has passed in the USA and no respons on my e-mail from 034 Motorsport.
                      I know they read my e-mail since I had read confirmation on. I decided yesterday to reassemble the car and just drive it for the next days and allow the hoses to settle in. This weekend I'll retest the boost hoses and see if the situation has improved in any way.
                      5 cilinder addict:

Comment

034 and after sales service don't go well together from what I've heard/read.

AFAIK all silicone hoses are layered. I had zero problems with Roose and GTM hoses btw.

Comment

1.1 Yup. Dumb question. I always recommend things that don't work.
                          1.2 The Constant Torque clamps do not come with different specs. Just what they are.
                          1.3 Samcos are layered and wrapped.
                          2. Good news then, regardless.

Comment

Today I finally had the time to go look for a strange rattling noise my car makes when under boost. It has been making this noise since I bought it and I already has my suspicions. So after removing the stainless steel exhaust and the heat shield my suspicions were confirmed:
                            The driveshaft support bearing is shafted and the driveshaft is rattling against the heat shield when I put my foot down. So it's time to order a new one. I know 034 has one, but I'd like to order one in Holland. I also took a quick look with the search function and there seems to be some good info, let's hope it applies to the S6 as well as it does to the S2.
                            5 cilinder addict:

Comment

I got mine for my urs4 from here. Good quality parts.

http://homepage.internet.lu/customautocraft/main.htm

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X