90 20v quattro, 25mm RARB and torsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 20v quattro, 25mm RARB and torsen

Sent my rear subframe off for powder coat and should be building it back into the car this weekend, however I'm fitting a torsen diff to counter a little understeer. I also have a 25mm anti roll bar form a fwd 80 I'm going to fit, its the long arm variety. But I have got myself to thinking will this set up be possibly a little too rear bias'd. The whels and tyres are going be 215/40R17, the only option I will have to trim the suspension rates will be the bilstein dampers

I have 26mm front arb on the rear with a torsen in my S2.

My only complaint would be it lifts the inside rear wheel on really tight up hill gradient.

You can still provoke under or oversteer depending on what you do. It can "bite" with the back end stepping out if you go into a corner hot and lift off.

I like it overall, makes the car more neutral and easier to create oversteer if you want it.

Might be a bit different at lower speeds if you don't have the power to spin the wheels though.
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

was expecting it to lift a rear wheel on tight stuff, but my view on that is its better than running wide and still not being able to put down the power with the normal habit of the car driving on straight.

Lift off over steer is one my favorite things about hot hatches at time so be nice to be able cause the same in the Audi without a Scandinavia flick.

Got me looking forward to this now

Edited to because co*k got censored to ****, I've replaced it with lift, when did we get the censoring? Annoying as the word in question isn't even a foul word it is however a fowl word at times...
      Last edited by goodall; 11 April 2013, 07:53.

Comment

I have a 25mm coupe FWD bar going on my tyo85 with s2 running gear and swapped the rear towers around to fit stock drop links. Fitting looks pretty tight when jacking the car up with the links touching the wishbones. How does yours look andy?

Comment

If you can, do it with springs rather than ARBs but if you can't, then fit an S2 FARB to give 26/25 and then you'll be laughing
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

The 90 has a 26mm FARB same the S2 so should be a good set up me thinks then Rusty as the issue with springs is locally most road are C or unclassified so low inst ideal which stiffer springs always brings the car closer to the road.

Comment

Originally posted by martinws View Post
              I have a 25mm coupe FWD bar going on my tyo85 with s2 running gear and swapped the rear towers around to fit stock drop links. Fitting looks pretty tight when jacking the car up with the links touching the wishbones. How does yours look andy?
              Drop links touch/rub the flex hoses. Did you get rear drop links? I will try and nab a picture tomorrow night for you.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Just put some sacrificial hose around the flex hoses. Did this 7 years ago and all is still fine and dandy.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by martinws View Post
                  Just remembered this, checked tonight, with the car off the ground there is only a couple of mm between the links and the wishbones.

Only one flexi is rubbing the droplink, the other is clear, must the way the caliper was fitted.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Nice one Andy. You reminded me about it. My front drop links are about 28cm long and the rears are 30cm

Are these the wrong way around? I think shorter ones for both would give best clearance looking at mine.

Comment

No idea on length, will measure when I get a chance.

Fronts are just straight, my rears have a kink in them.

NSR

OSR

Close

Vagcat

Front

Rear

Picture of S2driveruk's

I have a couple of B5 A4 Quattro rear droplinks and an Honda EP2 front I was going to measure up when I get a chance.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Ok all my droplinks look like the rears in the Vagcat picture. I dont have the plastic ones at all. I have not seen any kinked ones in the pile of me and Campbells s2 parts. My front end looks fine but i think i might have to do something with the back as it touches the wishbone when suspension is topped out. Iv read on here that the droplinks really need shortened at the back for the FARB to fit well. I wonder if yours are nicely bent stock ones?

Comment

Issue with shortening the links is that once shorted they ARB fouls the tie rods at full extension, at least on my 90 anyway.

Looking at the formed drop links they dont look substantial enough for the moment about the bent radius to be able to resist it, which would surly turn them into a spring and lessen the rigidity of the ARB?

Comment

My measurements approx. centre to centre

90q fronts 27.5cm
                            90q rears 30cm
                            My kinked rears approx. 30cm (measured on the car, could be 29/29.5)

B5 A4 1.9tdi Quattro rears 24cm

B3/4 front on top, B5 rear bottom 2

B5 held up

ARB/Tie rod

Do they foul if just shortened 5mm?

The ones I have fitted will not be as stiff as straight, but still stiff enough.

Could get a turnbuckle and a couple of rose joints.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I was thinking about cutting 30mm out and threading/opossite threading it with an adjuster in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                              X