Goodbye S2 Avant Hello S6 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye S2 Avant Hello S6 Avant

I sold my S2 avant yesterday and have just got myself an S6 avant this evening. Can't get pics just yet I'm afraid but I promise to get some up over the weekend.

The car is green with cream leather interior, heated seats and air con and most importantly to me is manual. It's covered over 170k but engine is really smooth and pulls well.

Couple of issues to sort, there's a bit of a knock coming from both front wheels when you drive over pot holes or rough roads (which is most places about here) I thought it was possibly top mounts but sounds lower down TBH.

I won't be using this every day like I did the S2, this is to be kept as a weekend car.
    1996 Audi S6 Avant.
    1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Yeah, we are going to need to see some pictures
    Audi S6

Comment

Originally posted by gunman View Post
      Couple of issues to sort, there's a bit of a knock coming from both front wheels when you drive over pot holes or rough roads (which is most places about here) I thought it was possibly top mounts but sounds lower down TBH.
      Congrats (and condolences (interpret that as you see fit)).

The suspension knocking is most likely the Item 36 Suspension Strut Bearing. The non-OE (read: Chinese junk) versions of these fail by allowing the inner sleeve to separate from the rubber surround. They can be changed from the top, without even jacking the car up. Just mark the location of the Item 33 studs in the Item 36 slots so you can get the camber the same as it was. BTDT this summer on my 98 C4 A6q avant. (In fact I re-used the old strut bearings from my 93 UrS4 that were perfectly fine when I replaced them in 2011).

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Cheers, that would make sense actually. I bought the car off a mate who has had the car for about 3 years, he said the knocking started about 6 months after he bought it but the previous owner had fitted new shocks. I suppose he may have fitted cheap top mounts at the time.

I shall investigate that one as it will make a massive difference to the car. I take it this would be best got from the stealers?
        1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

...I shall investigate that one as it will make a massive difference to the car. I take it this would be best got from the stealers?
          Dealer or reputable supplier. Febi/Bilstein or better. Not Chinese unless you don't mind doing it every year or so. It is very easy and literally only takes about 10 min a side.

Comment

Febi is a good standard to use in this case.

Congrats.

Comment

Is this the yoke that I need then:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Suspen...ht_1862wt_1199

Cheers
              1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Here's some pics my mate took last weekend.

1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

ooo that is nice, and looks like it will respond well to a detail,

Unlike mine lol
                  Audi S6

Comment

S6

Green is a great colour for these yokes. Health to drive. I have a green Tdi estate and s6 saloon I use for spare parts for my s4. Might be able to help you out for the odd part if it is left. Brian

Comment

Originally posted by chiefmechanic View Post
                      Green is a great colour for these yokes. Health to drive. I have a green Tdi estate and s6 saloon I use for spare parts for my s4. Might be able to help you out for the odd part if it is left. Brian
                      Cheers, I got the green 80 tdi off you last year for parts, still have it up the side of the house, much to my wife's disapproval lol.
                      1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Is this the yoke that I need then: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Suspen...ht_1862wt_1199 Cheers
                        Yes. The round bearing involves strut removal and disassembly to remove and replace the existing bearing. However, that is likely not your issue right now so if you do get the bearing and the top strut mount both for that price (and they are Febi/Bilstein) then that is a good deal. Obviously you need 2 kits. Install the plates and save the bearings for later.

Comment

They also do it without the bearing for about £16. I'll take a look at what's in there tomorrow and get these ordered if needs be.

I tried to order these from the 2 main motor factors here, one could get them today but at £71 +vat each , the other was £15 + vat but would take 2 weeks (probably cheap cack anyway).

Cheers.
                          1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Nice get some 'Gliptone' leather cleaner and a nail brush on that leather,will work miracles trust me

Comment

Good price for that topmount/bearing combo.
                              I just replaced mine with the same & it worked out at about €35 per side I think.
                              Good luck with the new bus.
                              Let me know when you decide to offload it!
                              sigpic
                              A6 (C6) Allroad 3.0 tdi quattro
                              181 VW Touran - Highline

Gone:
                              A6 (C4) 2.5TDI Avant quattro- Ron Burgundy, Daily Hack
                              '05 Mk5 GTI - Herself's Daily
                              '90 Mk2 GTI 16v

Comment

Working...
                              X