No announcement yet.

B5 A4 Avant 2.8 quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet car! My dad has the 1.6 FWD sedan to which I fitted H&R cup kit and although still very comfortable it's unbelievable how fast it can go through corners! I personally think it's one of the greatest cars of its time and also one of the most underrated. Having owned 2 Audi 80s 2.6 V6 I think that the 2.8 should be the best compromise between power, refinement and reasonable running costs as from my experience they're generally trouble free engines.

Comment

Cheers guys. Yeah the 2.8 appealed due to the fact there is less to go wrong than a 1.8 T or anything diesel - work colleague is still having a nightmare getting his recently purchased A4 Cabs 1.8 T engine running right! I don't need economy, and with the 2.8 you have the bonus of quattro and a decent spec. However the fuel economy at a steady 80 mph on the motorway is a pleasant surprise. Clicked over to 140,000 last weekend

Greg - yes will pop an MK thread up a fortnight or so in advance for Weds 3rd Dec from 6:30pm.
      B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

V6 motors are ok but what is going on in terms of fuel consumption in the city?
        I wanted to convert my 80 b4 into a 2.8 v6 and iam seriously havent decided what to do with it. I havent heard very nice words about the AAH engines. On the other hand you have torque, pure sound and nice trip driving...

Comment

Originally posted by spyros80 View Post
          V6 motors are ok but what is going on in terms of fuel consumption in the city?
          I wanted to convert my 80 b4 into a 2.8 v6 and iam seriously havent decided what to do with it. I havent heard very nice words about the AAH engines. On the other hand you have torque, pure sound and nice trip driving...
          Fuel consumption especially in Greek cities is ... seriously bad! And I live in a relatively small city. Fuel consumption on the motorway on the other hand is surprisingly good considering the engine displacement. The V6 is a laid back engine more suited to lazy driving and for me it has bucket loads of character. I've replaced the rear silencer on mine and it does sound Italian as Ian_C wrote above! A nice resonated, metalic sound. In Greece, where this car was never imported, this engine sound coming from a humble, old Audi 80 station is almost surreal!

Comment

Yeah around town it ain't great, when I first got it I was worried it wasn't doing much better around town than my S4 managed! But I don't have a daily commute or kids to drop to school so it doesn't matter for me. Get it out of stop start town traffic and the fuel economy settles down.

Yeah I'm going to miss the soundtrack now the downpipe is sorted and the rear section patched and sealed. When I got it home I gave it a good rev on the drive and it sounds smooth and nice
            B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

I am guessing your economy on that must be better than my old 12v engine in the cabby, but on a slush box I get 360 to a tank in that and 240 in the S4, so it seems to me you are quids in mate.

Bet you don't miss the fuel bills!

Comment

Yeah I've never seen 400 miles on the trip in any car I've owned!
                B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

Well I never planned to keep what is affectionately known as 'the snotter' four years and 18k! Bought a high spec 2007 B7 A4 Monday night as my replacement bread van, so its time to say farewell to the B5. I will post a proper advert across the forums before the weekend, any early interest before it goes on Pistonheads please post or send me a message, I would prefer to keep it within the forum! Available to view immediately in Bedford, including throughout this BH weekend, fast train 35 mins from London if you want collecting from the station

A brief summary of work completed since I acquired it Aug 2014....

Rear disc and pads (Eurocarparts) - Sept 2014
                  Aforementioned exhaust work + Mot - Nov 2014
                  Front disc and pads (Pagid) + most recent air filter - April 2015
                  Engine flush + oil change + rear roll bar linkages + Mot - Oct 2015
                  Pollen filter + second hand replacement scuttle cover - Dec 2015
                  Wheel alignment, new coolant header tank (TPS), most recent coolant change, most recent brake fluid change, Mot - Oct 2016
                  Most recent front wipers (Audi - I cannot stand ***** wipers) - Mar 2017
                  Most recent oil change - Sept 2017
                  Track rod end + Mot - Oct 2017

Current mot expiry 6th Nov 2018

Current mileage 156k

Air con worked when I got it but slowly became less effective. I asked my local garage to regas it before Le Mans last year but they were not able (ie. not allowed) to regas because the system failed the initial pressure test.

The interior fans also have a mind of their own, they have always gone up and down in speed randomly as you drive, but more recently they have been slow to start when you start the engine up, or spin for a while then slow down without you touching them as you drive. Weird.

Drivers heated seat wires not very effective after 19 years and 156k of bums!

Clutch was high when I bought it, 18k later I'm on the same clutch, no slip under normal driving, although it definitely is not going to allow you to do a Fast and the Furious 'sidestep the clutch' quarter mile launch!

Cambelt + water pump last done 2012 @ 129k

Now back on the same 16" wheels and tyres as when I bought it, 3mm Michelins and 4-5mm Dunlops, two alloys are fairly clean, two aren't as good. Removed the Avus this evening ahead of the car going up for sale. Sunset pic yesterday, others from Sunday when I washed it, was pretty much dark when I finished swapping wheels this evening

£1k

Last edited by Ian_C; 22 August 2018, 23:51.
                  B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

GLWS. Its served you well this snotter. Looking forward to seeing the new steed at MK
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                    X