My new "Digger".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new "Digger".

After a frustrating hunt for another S2, I have taken the plunge and bought This URS6 from forum member Bernie Collins, a great bloke who was sorry to see her go.

I drove from Manchester to Leeds and then on to Huddersfield yesterday and home to Barnsley today and she never missed a beat! I even embarrassed a BMW 5 series GT on a local dual carriageway, he was not happy!

The URS6 is in nice condition, there are a few small jobs that need doing but isn't there always? The sunroof needs attention and the paint needs a polish and wax but overall she looks lovely on the S6+ wheels and new Pirelli Zeros.

I've got some Weitec 30mm lowering springs to go on this week which should set it off perfectly I think.

Whilst the springs are being fitted I'm going to put new front shockers on as it is a bit floaty, can anyone tell me if these are the same as the C4 A6 shockers or were they uprated for the S6?

Pictures taken at Rose Hill in Huddersfield, it's the family home Of Ernest Brook of Brook Compton Motors fame. Lovely place, lovely car!
    Attached Files

Good to see you're enjoying it so much

How was the drive over Holme Moss?

Comment

That does look pretty special, very nice indeed

congrats

Comment

Originally posted by raccabuda View Post
        I've got some Weitec 30mm lowering springs to go on this week which should set it off perfectly I think. Whilst the springs are being fitted I'm going to put new front shockers on as it is a bit floaty, can anyone tell me if these are the same as the C4 A6 shockers or were they uprated for the S6?
        Congrats on your new UrS6. Looks great.

If you are lowering the car that much, you should go for a shorter than stock front strut insert, e.g. Bilstein Sport B8s instead of Bilstein HD B6s.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Smart looking S6

Comment

Lovely car

Comment

You did well buying a decent one that has had a lot of work done on it by Bernie and getting those wheels and new Pirelli tyres thrown into the deal.All the others that have turned up have been unloved and not been maintained properly.Good deal i would say! Looking forward to the polish and wax you mentioned.
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

I didn't make it over Holme Moss Jack, I had too many spares rolling around in the back for a spirited drive yesterday and I then had to go and pick a fridge up from Leeds for my motorhome project, you can certainly get a lot of gear in the back of one of these!

Thanks for all your kind words, it certainly is a credit to Bernie and I had to promise to look after it before he'd let it go!

Going back to the dampers, will a standard Sachs set get me away for now? These are about £90 a pair from ECP or there is a set of Koni yellows on ebay for £163 delivered, would these be a suitable upgrade? The B8s are coming in at £330 for a pair delivered from Euro Performance Parts, are they worth the difference?

Thanks, Dave.

Comment

Great to see another UrS6 coming into the possession of someone who will look after it.

A UrS6 is the bigger more luxurious bother of an S2 and is just as desirable, imho, I have a few of both, so btdt.

Check out Dave's list of what will strand your car, as all his post relate to to C4s which is cool.

If you're going to lower it, make sure the camber is reset and within tolerances, otherwise the inner edge of the front tyres will be eaten off very prematurely.

Definitely get S6 shocks rather than A6.

Very nice with full black leather, including the door cards, a sunroof, and climate.

You'll come to like the twin level boot storage, as well as the two big storage areas on either side of the boot.

The rear seats fold faster and easier than an S2, and an S6 already has a front inlet manifold as standard.

One touch down windows, and one touch up on the fronts as standard. A central locking button on the drivers door, and boost 'gauge" in the main instruments as standard.

Bigger front brakes on the front that won't fade, bigger vented discs on the back, in comparison to an S2. I could go on....... :roll eyes:

So don't in any way feel you've bought second best when you buy an UrS6.

In the last year or so, plenty of UrS6 threads which is great for everyone. Not too mention the resource of Quattroworld when you want to know 'how to' or 'how does x work'.

Looking forward to your updates, and more photos in due course.

In the meantime, if you're looking for ideas, black trim around the grill and the chrome around the windows, and paint your calipers black.

Rare to have the air box lid still on it. Be very carful with it, there are very easy to crack when taking them off. Not yet NLA, but soon will be no doubt. You just need the cover for the plugs on the rear bulkhead.

And maybe a new water header tank, with a flush out of the system with a hose pipe, and then nice clean red G12.

Regards.

Last edited by macspring; 14 November 2016, 19:39.

Comment

Thanks Mac, some nice ideas there!

It certainly does stand well and has great presence on the road, I got a couple of thumbs up on the M62 and a nod from a Volvo 240 "TurboBrick" in Huddersfield yesterday so he obviously knew what the grille badge was.

I was already thinking of blacking the Chrome, what would you use for this and would you have to key the chrome work first?

Comment

Rather going the route of looking to spray the chrome trim black, maybe consider seeing how much a decent local vinyl wrap company will charge. Making sure they do not 'cut' the paint when trimming the wrap.

Also a decent local van and truck sign company may be able to assist.

With the black chrome outside it will move the car closer towards S6+ spec, which matches the S6+ rims currently fitted.

To lose the chrome bezels around the instruments, may be too much hard work / too difficult ? Not sure about this issue as my cars are all oem S6+ spec.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give them a try. I'm not concerned about the dial trims, the inside is a lovely place to be already. My 5 yr old daughter thinks it looks like a plane cockpit!

Comment

Working...
                        X