2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
    1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
    1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
    2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
    1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
    2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
    1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Finally found some time to work on my cars and first off was the job I was not looking forward to, changing the clutch on my 90q.

While I was at it I planned to change the gearbox and diff mounts and the propshaft center bearing which I got the BMW part for. After unpacking the bearing I do agree with the comments that I read on here after buying. It is very flimsy and definately not better than the 30 year old item on my car so I left it at that.

The clutch was still the original as well. Noticed right away when loosening the first bolt that the bolts were not overtightened as they were factory torqued up.

Anyway the next job on the list is fitting the service items from the opening post and fit an Apex lowering kit with shortened dampers as the OEM stuff on it is scrap and it scares me to drive it like a quattro should be driven.
      Will post some pics when that has been done.

Comment

Old vs. new:
        Attached Files

Comment

How did I miss this...

Very nice. Looks in great condition. I don't think the UK had that colour as an option.
          Stuart
          B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

I'm not even sure which colour it is, will have a look at the sticker on the bootlid.

I have filled the sloppy propshaft bearing with sealant so hopefully the shifting will be smoother once fitted. Think I'm going to make a new snubmount bracket as well so the engine can't move as much up and down.

Comment

For the first time since we bought our house in december 2013 I had some time to work on one of my own cars in our garage. I must say it is much better to work with my own tools although the space is a bit tight. Once we got a new roof on our garage I will clear up some space and create a bit more room to work in.

Anyway got the car in yesterday afternoon to take the wishbones and struts off.
              Plans for this week:
              - new springs and dampers
              - new wishbone bushes
              - new rear left wheel bearing
              - shotblast wishbones, FARB and other small parts
              - paint blasted parts and struts

The car needs to be out of the garage by next saturday, got something to do before then. Parts have been ordered so will have to wait for that and the parts to be blasted.

Some pics:
              Attached Files

Comment

Looking good! nice car!
                -1989 Audi Coupé 2017-...
                -1986 Audi 90 2.2 2014-2017 Daily classic
                -1993 Audi 80 1.9TDI |recycling OEM parts| 2013-2014
                -1990 Audi 90 2.3 USA 2012-2013

Comment

Thanks, it will look a bit nicer at the underside by the end of this week as well.
                  Think I will get some 15" Ronals fitted next week

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                    Thanks, it will look a bit nicer at the underside by the end of this week as well.
                    Think I will get some 15" Ronals fitted next week
                    i'm jealous of the Ronals! are you going to Audi Tradition meeting?

Comment

Originally posted by Audi80/90ClubEurope View Post
                      i'm jealous of the Ronals! are you going to Audi Tradition meeting?
                      I've got 4 sets at the moment, only 2 sets of the R8 ET42 though.

I'm afraid I will not be at the meet in Belgium if that is the one you are on about? Will be busy rebuilding our garage then.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                        I've got 4 sets at the moment, only 2 sets of the R8 ET42 though.

I'm afraid I will not be at the meet in Belgium if that is the one you are on about? Will be busy rebuilding our garage then.
                        such a shame and the event by Pon?

Comment

Nah not my cup of tea really, I'm more into active meets like the ASCN meet at TT circuit Assen

Comment

So got the following done this week:
                            - Parts blasted and painted
                            - New wishbone bushes fitted on all corners
                            - New wheel bearing rear left
                            - New steering rod ends
                            - New springs and shocks fitted front, rears still to do

It is all a bit tight doing it in one week after work time. Next time I will have the parts coated that have been blasted as it's hard to get the paint in some corners especially on the wishbones.
                            Also if I had a week extra time I would have done the subframes as well.

When being under the car I noticed the mount at the back of the rear diff is purple so I think it's Powerflex item, think this will be the reason for getting the odd knock on gear changes as it's hard and unforgiving. Might take it out and drill some holes through it to make it softer.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Front end finally fitted, rears not completed yet. Before fitting the rear struts I wanted to make sure the tie rods were moving free so the alignment will not be a nightmare.
                              Freeing them up was a nightmare in itsself though. Took me no less than an hour per side to get them going againg and had to cut and replace one nut that was rusted solid.

When doing the clutch I changed the gearbox and diff mounts except one with a rounded bolt. Managed to change it today and I was relieved it was in a bad shape. I don't like changing stuff if not necessary

Also, the Spax sport kit I got for this car is actually a type 89 kit, had to make a small change on the front shocks to fit inside the struts other than that it all fits. However I'm under the impression the rear springs might be too tall for the type 85 struts. Could it be that the type 89 rear struts are different? As in is the spring cup lower down the struts on a type 89?
                              Attached Files

Comment

So it looks like I do have some time to do the subframes after all. Hopefully the bolts will come out without too much hassle (spinning bolts inside the chassis legs for example) and I can get it out this week to be blasted and coated.

Comment

Working...
                                X