No announcement yet.

Track preparation advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of it will depend on how well you know the track, how you drive the car and how much you attack

If you're on-it then braking is, as advised, by far the most heavily abused area. Normal road pads will turn to butter when continually pushed in a track environment, so they'll be ***** and you'll completely destroy them. The same is true for tyres, which are also consumables along with the brakes.

The S2 is a heavy car and massively under-spec'd in the braking department as standard. You will easily warp a set of discs with the heat generated if you push it on track, so i'd keep to shorter stints with plenty of cooling time before you come in.

If you want to step it up then i would look at the 996 monoblock 323mm front brake upgrade with some Goodridge stainless steel lines, Motul RBF660 fluid that you won't boil, and some Carbotech XP12 pads. Plus i really rate that setup with the urS4 rear brake upgrade for balance and rear cooling.

Combined with some decent semi-slick track tyres the car will literally stop in half the distance and continue to do so for more than just a few laps

Tyre-wise i would look at Federal 595-RSR for a brilliant bang-for-buck track tyre that's also a brilliant road-going summer tyre, or you have Nankang NS2R which are similar, Yokohoma AD08R which are a bit more serious and durable, or the ultimate Dunlop Direzza DZ03G at about twice the price but ultimate grip whilst also being road-legal. There's also a load of others, but i tend to go through them quickly, so i rate the Fed's or AD08R for the balance of cost, quality, and normal road-going ability.

You'll probably then want some stiffer and lower suspension for handling on track, and then you'll end up wanting more power... it's a dangerous path to walk...
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

appreciated all the advice from you all thank you! I'm looking forward to pushing it a bit on the track, enjoy it on the country roads near where I live but there isn't much room for error with hedges either side! I think these cars were well ahead of there time in the day, farher has a 4.2 V8 S4 and I think it would give it a very good run for its money!

Going to have a look into the tyres and brakes. Will the Porsche 996 brakes fit over the standard S2 alloys? If I don't get chance to change the brakes would you recommend a good disc and track pad along with a fluid change?

The car is lowered 35mm all ready all over on bilstiens so is a bit stiffer than its original set up. Will keep you al updated!

Comment

Try and go with a few mates as well, it makes for a much funner day. I'll be at Cadwell Park on July 29th and Bedford this Wednesday for an evening session.

Tyre-pressure wise, i tend to do a couple of laps to warm things up, then drop using a tyre pressure monitor i picked up from Halfords. I tend to run about 30psi hot which drops to about 22psi cold... so make sure you pump them back up if you're driving anywhere far afterwards!
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Castrol SRF brake fluid is worth every penny, IMO
          The ONLY S2 Golf!
          http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
          10.42@138mph
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Is this a one off or going to be a regular thing? Its easy to start spending loads of money prepping a car for track. Some track upgrades can be complementary for road use, some are detrimental.

You can enjoy a stock car on track, you need to be sensible with the brakes, and keep the sessions short. Its still great fun to drive quickly on a track without hammering the car, just focus on lines, smooth evertything out etc.

If you want to hammer it you will fade the stock brakes very quickly, then boil the brake fluid. Cheapest upgrade is propably to swap in a set of track pads and good brake fluid. 996s are a good upgrade, work reasonably well on track, they will again fade, then boil the fluid if pressed hard for long. You will also wipe out the front outside tyre quite quickly if you throw it around, its a heavy beast. Road tyres overheat quite quickly if driven hard.

Check the wheel bolts are tight when you come off!

If tuition is avaliable its well worth the money, you learn so much faster than trial and error.

If you can take a mate along to fill his car with spares/tools etc it makes your day much easier.
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I have done track days before but not in my own car, I am definitely going to change the break fluid and if I don't get chance before to do the Porsche up grade will have to look in to changing the standard discs and pads.

Even with a decent set of discs and pads do the standard breaks fail pretty quick?

just thinking outloud my servotronic steering doesn't work its light all the time, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Comment

sorry for got to ad the track day is 6, 20 minute sessions through out the day I believe

Comment

Working...
                X