Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual Steering Rack... Suit Light Weight Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Steering Rack... Suit Light Weight Project.

I've just stumbled across this in my workshop attic and don't think I'm ever going to need it....

It's a B2 manual steering rack in nice condition, I was planning on using it on my now aborted super light weight 80 project as it means one can do away with all hydraulic systems on the car saving quite a bit of weight and getting rid of the PAS pump and hoses etc entirely.

£60 delivered by Parcelforce 48 or £50 collected.

Edit... Just look at this post again and realised I the quick pic I took isn't attached, it was pretty poor anyway...

Will take a couple of better pictures latter today when I'm in the workshop, will also try and find a part number and check the spline pattern against a late spec S2 rack, I'm 99% sure I've already done this and they're the same. Mounting point wise it's the same as a B3/4 rack.
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 25 October 2022, 07:31. Reason: More info.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Kit,

Any idea on the turns lock-to-lock and the amount of "travel" Vs an s2 rack?

Thanks
    Jase.

Comment

Heya Jase, no not off the top of my head, I suspect it requires more turns lock to lock than the quick racks fitted to some later B4 cars as well as ABY S2's and RS2's.

I do have a spare reconditioned RS2 steering rack so I could fit a UJ to both and count the turns, I'll have to dig the RS2 rack out and stick them both in the vice so I can make a comparison as it takes quite a bit of effort to turn them by hand even with mole grips on the UJ. I can measure the travel at the same time quite easily.

I'm actually fairly busy this week but will try and find time to do a test ASAP.

Comment

Provisionally sold.

Comment

Working...
        X