Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage of cars for sale

Hi guys and girls,

Looking through the autotrader etc for S2's for sale, it seems that there are a fair number of people selling cars with 110k - 115k miles on the clock. Does anyone know if s2's self destruct at 120k!!?
    Seriously, are there any major (i.e. expensive) components that have reached the end of their life at that sort of mileage, other than usual brake disks etc? I wonder how many sellers have been advised to get rid before the bills start rolling in.

Not aware of anything that needs specific attention at 110-120k miles.

Mines running fine at 156000 miles on a late K plate. Probably a mental thing with people when a car reaches 100000 plus - I know of other makes with a 3rd of my mileage than run like a bag of bolts so it means nothing, these 5 pots are built to last with regular oil changes and routine care/maintenence.

HTH

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi,

my car has done 121,000 and is running sweet as a nut.. u can barely hear the engine.

At 100k i think shocks need doing as mine were shot, maybe the turbo if its not been looked after?.. generally speaking these cars with good servicing with run and run
      Coupe

Comment

Good question, what are some of the major service milestones? Eg, when does the cambelt need changing?

Mine's on 114,000 at the mo, 1991-era, running like a purring cheetah (having said that I've probably just hexed myself and it'll explode!).
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

i think its every 80,000 miles for the belt
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I bought mine with 122k on the clock. It's done 149k now & still runs sweet as a nut. It did need a new main radiator soon after I bought it. Other 'majors' were new front shocks at 135k and a new clutch at 140k. I don't think S2s self destruct when they reach this sort of mileage. These are just typical failures you would expect with any car.
            Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Bought the RS2 with 121,500 on the clock. Now over 136,000 and no sign of self-destructing. There's at least one RS2 around with 170,000 on the clock and in fine form too.

I think people get needlessly wound up about higher mileages. OK so there are some dogs out there but high mileage doesn't necessarily mean you're buying a load of problems.

Comment

Exactly - a high mileage car could well be in better condition - it's been run regularly, probably on decent motorway journies to rack up the miles, and if it's lasted that long, it's probably had proper servicing to get it that far?

Take each car on its merits, examine it closely and check its history!

My ex 80Sport had 190,000 miles on the clock when I sold it on and it was running as sweet as ever!
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Interesting stuff folks.
                  Its really things like the drivetrain, suspension, electrics, cats that I could see potentially causing problems.
                  I am not particularly worried about high mileage - my Golf had 194K on the clock when I laid it up in the garage (its still there!) - but I do like to have my eyes wide open when considering a purchase like an S2.
                  Has anyone got over 200K miles yet? 300K?.......
                  How involved is a cambelt change? is it an engine out job, front panel off (Like my passat) or what? Ditto a clutch change? Has anyone had either done recently and at what cost approx?

Comment

Sure someone on here had one with 282,000 miles.....
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

mine has 220.000 km on the clock.
                      Only exhaust, brake bomb and frequencyvalve have been replaced.

Regards
                      No power, no glory!
                      S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

mines just past 146k and is still running fine. no engine problems, no smoke, starts and runs perfectly fine.

Most people see the mileage and thing reliability is an issue, but with the VW Audi range, the build quality is superb! They aint some FORD crap!
                        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

The neighbours Audi 80 2.0 e auto had just done !79,000. I have replaced the fuel pump and it's off again. It has not been looked after at all. I wonder what they would do if looked after?

Ford
                          First On Rubbish Dump
                          Fix Or Repair Daily

LOTUS
                          lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

FIAT
                          Fix It Again Tomorrow

AUDI
                          ????

David

Comment

The 2.3 10v coupe has 184000 on it. FASH and only ever replaced normal wear "n" tear stuff. The S2 will get exactly the same treatment

David, heres another Ford one...= Full Of Rusty Deposits
                            Once told one of the young girlies in our office (who wouldn't shut up about her boyfriends XR3i) that on a real still cold night, if you get really close, you can hear a Ford rusting
                            She tried it and her boyfriend wasn't to pleased to see me P***ing myself laughing when he picked her up from work a couple of days later
                            2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                            2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                            1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Mine had done 176k when i got it, now its on 196k, and is pumping about 300hp with no probs!
                              and hopefully after next w/end it will be nearer 330
                              and uses no oil

Comment

Working...
                              X