ABY head and block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY head and block

I'll have a complete head and block for sale when I fit my new engine in a few months' time.

No idea on condition of the head, as it's on the car but the car has done 176k, so I'd assume it's original but it works and the car runs well enough. So, assume it needs a rebuild, like any secondhand, original head and it'll need a couple of the exhaust manifold studs coiling, as they're a bit on the weak side & 2 are stripped. It recently had a proper thread insert (not helicoil) fitted for spark plug 3. No cams, covers or sensors included.

The block was compression tested fairly recently and was over 10 bar on 1, 2, 3 & 5 and just under 9 on cylinder 4, dry. Wet all were over 10 bar, indicating a weak ring. It'll need sleeving or a rebore and pistons, so that may save you doing the same as me and spending money on inspection and work that turned out to be wasted money. No idea on the crank but oil pressure has always been 2 bar idle, 4 bar + running, so I would assume that the bearings are OK and it's always run fully synthetic oil (W50 & W60) in my ownership.

I'll be stripping the anciliaries off the engine, some for spares, some to sell, so at this time, it'll be pretty bare, unless you want to make a deal.

As I don't know the exact condition, I can't really say a price but having bought an ABY block, spent £150+ to get checked to find out that it needed a rebore and an AAN head that required a full rebuild and a few other bits, I've well over £1k sunk in to the bare new engine parts before I even started rebuilding anything...

With that in mind, £800 is the guide price, as that's about what I paid for replacement parts in rebuildable condition, ignoring anything else.

The engine is in the car and is located in Bristol. I use it at least once a week and will happily take anyone out for a run or do a compression test on it with you. If you have a borescope, then bring it along.

Obviously, if either of the parts are not in good order, or I split the block down or someone wants to make me an offer, then the price will change.

No money required up front, just a gentleman's agreement that you want it I will keep a list of interested parties in order of enquiry and run to that order.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

New engine is arriving imminently, so this will be available soon.

Engine is in the car and so can be heard / tested, as required.
    Last edited by Rusty; 7 July 2015, 10:01.
    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

If you have aby power steering pump I will be interested in that pm when and if you do

Comment

This will be at Combe, if anyone want to have a listen or watch it heading through Avon rise at 130...

Never raced or rallied
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
        X