CNC made steering wheel spacer for airbag steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC made steering wheel spacer for airbag steering wheel

Custom made and designed by me. Fits on all B4 and C4 cars with 3 and 4 spoke steering wheel with airbag.
    It makes the OEM steering wheel come closer to the driver of about 5 cm, improving driving position and makes, especially on B4s, your legs standing longer improving comfort.
    I supply all what you need to fit it. It's direct fit, you don't have to cut wires, you just re-connect the airbag plug to the socket and drive.
    It requires 15 minutes of job to fit it, and if you disconnect the battery you don't even need to reset the warning light with vag com.
    If in the future you want to pull it out, just unfit and everything will return as it was on the car. No mods required on existing steering column and not even the steering wheel.
    Tested for more than 5000 km and 1 year on my cars, they're still on.

€ 150 plus shipping. Payment by paypal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Giacomo; 15 January 2017, 13:34.
    sigpic

I've been waiting for a good solution like this for ages for my B4 cabrio with airbag wheel - do you have a batch of these? Also is there a way of covering up the aluminium? Maybe a rubber cover or something?

Comment

Yes, a small batch of 5-7 parts is ready. I supply the whole kit, including another nut and a rubber cover. Will post pics in these days.
      The pics in the first post refers to the first version, which is a bit big heavy and I covered with some black tape.

The new version is "thinner" and can be covered with a rubber like used on aftermarket steering wheel hubs from Omp, Momo, Sparco...

Just to make an example, I've made the same job on my B5 S4, which has total different splline, and the final job looks like this:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Giacomo; 28 October 2016, 17:50.
      sigpic

Comment

now pics stand up
        Last edited by Giacomo; 28 October 2016, 17:52.
        sigpic

Comment

I the batch is ready. So I can show better pics.

I have made a simpler and lighter version, so I can also lower the price.

You will receive:

Spacer made in two parts: female splined hub + male splined shaft + 4 bolts + extra nut + rubber boot.

Fitting guide:

1) straight wheels and battery off
          2) pull out airbag and steering wheel
          3) fit the female splined hub on the steering column and tight it using the stock nut that was keeping the steering wheel on the car before you pulled it out
          4) fix the male splined hub on the female spined hub, using the provided 4 bolts, you better use loctite on the threads
          5) put the provided boot, which will cover all the job when it will be finished
          6) fit the steering wheel on the male splined hub, and tight the extra nut provided, which is the same as the stock one
          7) fit the airbag back in position, reconnecting the socket. It will be a little difficult because you will have to work in the narrow space between the rear of the airbag and the internal side of the wheel.
          8) re-tight the airbag bolts
          9) battery on.
          END.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

2 are sold
            sigpic

Comment

I post a visual fitting guide.
              Pics refer to the RS2 but the procedure is the same on all B4/C4 cars with airbag.
              The visual guide starts with the steering wheel already off the car,
              Steering wheel removing procedure is well illustrated on the forum, no need to repeat here.
              The last pic shows the hub fitted, without the rubber cover, otherwise you won't see anything.

I just repeat the steps.

1) straight wheels and battery off
              2) pull out airbag and steering wheel
              3) fit the female splined hub on the steering column and tight it using the stock nut that was keeping the steering wheel on the car before you pulled it out
              4) fix the male splined hub on the female spined hub, using the provided 4 bolts, you better use loctite on the threads
              5) put the provided boot, which will cover all the job when it will be finished
              6) fit the steering wheel on the male splined hub, and tight the extra nut provided, which is the same as the stock one
              7) fit the airbag back in position, reconnecting the socket. It will be a little difficult because you will have to work in the narrow space between the rear of the airbag and the internal side of the wheel.
              8) re-tight the airbag bolts
              9) battery on.
              END.
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

How does it feel operating the indicators after this?
                Do you have to take your hand off the wheel to reach?

Comment

The indicators can still be reached without leaving the steering wheel.
                  I use the middle finger. Also for wipers.
                  You have to take your hand off when you activate high beam.
                  But you get used very soon.
                  Have you ever tried an aftermarket steering wheel? Feels the same. But you still have airbag working
                  sigpic

Comment

UUUUUUP: MONEY BACK GUARANTEE in case you don't like it after fitting.
                    sigpic

Comment

2 more sold in Northern Europe
                      sigpic

Comment

Steering wheel spacer received yesterday, thank you Giacomo !

Comment

UUUP, there are 2 left. They can be used as adaptors for fitting 996 Porsche steering wheels on UrS too.
                          sigpic

Comment

UUUP.
                            A pair is still here.
                            sigpic

Comment

Has any fitted one of these? I got one but it seem to be tightening down too tightly on the slip ring. Any ideas?
                              1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                              2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                              2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Working...
                              X