90 2.3 20V to an S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 2.3 20V to an S2?

Is it "reasonalbly possible to create an S2 clone from an Audi 90 and some used S2 bits? (Turbo, EM, Waste Gate, WGCFV, IC etc etc?) I knwo a guy who wants to buy bits that i remove from my S2 as i up grade it? His idea is to make a 90 into a S2 sedan! Well not a fully fledged S2 sedan but more a pretty quick 90 to be honest?

"OR"

No friken way! More hassle than its worth???????????

I dont know much about the 2.3 20V thats in the 90, i.e compression ratios, stroke length, bore etc or even what fueling systems it uses? ( i presume a 3B ECU would be required? if it was even a possibility)

Anyhow, all comments welcome, yup all coments!

P.S None about my Avant though!
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

well if needs S2 bits.

I have S2 EM manifold, Turbo and the IC for sale.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Glen I had a 90 Coupè 2.0L IL5 I converted to S2. But I just transplanted the whole 3B engine, loom and drivetrain.

Comment

The 2.3 20V engine (7A) in the 90 is 170PS, 162lbs/ft torque, compression ratio is 10.5:1. The bore is 82.5mm, while the stroke is 86.4mm. The fuelling system is MPI (Multi Point Injection) by Hitachi. It was a very fragile system, and is NOT compatible with a 3B / ABY ECU. The injectors were unusual in that the resistance was about 17 OHMS, as compared to the S2's 8 OHMS and needed series resistors to bring the resistance down to a reasonable level. The compression ratio will have to be lowered and the loom, ECU, exhaust manifold, inlet manifold will have to be changed for 3B / ABY items. The only thing the 7A shares in common with any S2 setup is the configuration, 20V crossflow head, distributor and crank / RPM sensors. It would be easier to install a complete 3B engine, to be honest.

HTH.
        Siena.

Comment

@Siena: I've just measured an S2 and an RS2 injector's impedance in order to make sure I wasn't about to say something stupid but now I'm sure, they all have 16 ohm impedance! Maybe the 90q20v injectors are the other way round and they only have 8 ohms, that could make sense...

Cheers,

Mihnea
          '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
          info@MRCTuning.com
          Workshop Directions

Comment

Mihnea, indeed you ARE right, the 7A / NM injectors ARE 8 Ohms, my mistake. :wacked:

Siena

Comment

We here in the U.S. have to build our own S2's, Coupe or Sedan!

Just the engine swap is an in depth adventure. Of course I have to search far and wide for parts as there was never an S2 brought into the U.S.

Start with the engine swap (probably too costly) and add the other goodies later.
              Dave K.
              USA
              1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
              2001 S4

Comment

Ok thanks guys, so its too much hasle really! I was just kinda hoping to move my EM, turbo, IC etc on to some one else to help fund the upgrades!! But cant quite think of what or who would want S2 parts? what are they likey to fit apart from an S2! nowt i dont think! Anyone?
                Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

I thought the standard EM are prone to warping so there might be a market.

If the turbo is in good nick, someone might want one to replace their smoking one.

And the IC - if someone has a front end accident they will be depserate for a second hand one - I'm sure Land Rover Owners are always looking for bigger ICs for the 2.5tdi's - might be worth seeing if they are interested?
                  S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

@Glen and all the others who still have stock S2 stuff around (IMs, EMs, turbos, injectors and so on), let me know what you have and how much you want for the parts, I might have some potential buyers for you!

Cheers,

Mihnea
                    '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                    info@MRCTuning.com
                    Workshop Directions

Comment

Hi,

We did a chip for NM engine that had
                      a garret integrated WG turbo setup. CR was lowered to 8.5,
                      IC added and tubular header and fuel pressure
                      increased and it pumped +100hp more than stock NM.

Problem for more power is that
                      the Hitachi ECU SW has reached map FF maximums at fuel delivery
                      and basic fuel pressure is allready very high and
                      injector open time at maximum. More hp is not possible.

Project was wild but I do not recommendid it to others.

I recommend that you buy ABY donator pack and
                      build the system to lighter 90er. Electronics is allmost
                      plug and play according to my friend who did it
                      a year ago.

tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea
                        @Glen and all the others who still have stock S2 stuff around (IMs, EMs, turbos, injectors and so on), let me know what you have and how much you want for the parts, I might have some potential buyers for you!

Cheers,

Mihnea
                        Yeah, like us poor Americans with limited 20vt resources!
                        Dave K.
                        USA
                        1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
                        2001 S4

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy200rs
                          Hi,

We did a chip for NM engine that had
                          a garret integrated WG turbo setup. CR was lowered to 8.5,
                          IC added and tubular header and fuel pressure
                          increased and it pumped +100hp more than stock NM.

Problem for more power is that
                          the Hitachi ECU SW has reached map FF maximums at fuel delivery
                          and basic fuel pressure is allready very high and
                          injector open time at maximum. More hp is not possible.

Project was wild but I do not recommendid it to others.

I recommend that you buy ABY donator pack and
                          build the system to lighter 90er. Electronics is allmost
                          plug and play according to my friend who did it
                          a year ago.

tommy
                          Hey Tommy, how's your leg doing????

Mihnea

www.MRCTuning.com
                          info@MRCTuning.com
                          Workshop Directions

Comment

titan tuning screws make a difference

- too little doing at home with broken leg..... :mad:

tommy

ps. here the link to 3B into rs2 uprgade instructions
                            and some other stuff

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Audi20V_Kruemmer/
                            Last edited by Tommy200rs; 19 January 2004, 18:34.

Comment

Working...
                            X