No announcement yet.

New Board Computer with bigger display and Arduino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Via the the push buttons at the end of the wiper arm (can't remember which) scrolling up or down and then the push the reset button underneath is what you use to access any given mode.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Oh very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
        Mdz, do you think this could be possible for B4 and C4 cars, if it was i'd be interested.

Yes it is, at least most of the functions. What is possible depends on information we can get from our cars and mostly on programming skills. On our cars we can read various temperatures, pressures and speeds directly from senders and convert them to values to display (as senders are giving out variable voltages or impulses per second not temperatures, speeds e.t.c.). Actual gear can be calculated from road speed vs engine rpms, oil level is impossible because there's no sender (unless you have swapped 1.8t, 2.7tt, 1.9TDI or something like that with oil level sensor in oilpan). Diagnostics as well as reading off various values also might be possible over K-line, but I haven't got that far yet, I'm starting with easier things to learn Arduino programming. On newer cars (or engines) you can read various information off CAN bus (what's most likely done on that A2).
        I do have CANbus module for my Nano and my ecu does have CANbus support. I'll look into this, maybe it's better to jump straight into CANbus stuff. Oil pressure and temperature readouts must be taken directly from sensors anyway, but that's just using two inputs on Arduino.
        BTW if it would be me, I'd use monochrome red/orange display for it to not stand out from everything else in dashboard. Subtle interior modifications are the best IMHO.

Comment

following this topic
          Very interesting, would like to build something like this myself.. unfortunately family life isn't allowing for much free time ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mdz View Post

Yes it is, at least most of the functions. What is possible depends on information we can get from our cars and mostly on programming skills. On our cars we can read various temperatures, pressures and speeds directly from senders and convert them to values to display (as senders are giving out variable voltages or impulses per second not temperatures, speeds e.t.c.). Actual gear can be calculated from road speed vs engine rpms, oil level is impossible because there's no sender (unless you have swapped 1.8t, 2.7tt, 1.9TDI or something like that with oil level sensor in oilpan). Diagnostics as well as reading off various values also might be possible over K-line, but I haven't got that far yet, I'm starting with easier things to learn Arduino programming. On newer cars (or engines) you can read various information off CAN bus (what's most likely done on that A2).
            I do have CANbus module for my Nano and my ecu does have CANbus support. I'll look into this, maybe it's better to jump straight into CANbus stuff. Oil pressure and temperature readouts must be taken directly from sensors anyway, but that's just using two inputs on Arduino.
            BTW if it would be me, I'd use monochrome red/orange display for it to not stand out from everything else in dashboard. Subtle interior modifications are the best IMHO.
            That's good to hear. All this now depends on how big this display will be and if it will display like the one in our A2. Think i've seen some very late B4's with large A4 B5 type displays somewhere on this forum? It may have been you that posted it? The cars original data needs transferring from the old diss mileage etc into the new diss so everything is carried over. By the way you could give us the function of having colour diss or normal at the click of the stalk button. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Pictures with B5 clusters swapped in B4 has been floating around here. Some might be posted by me as I've done that swap a few times.

Comment

P1070395_zps5zxuarfb.jpg
                94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

wow.. it warns if someone has painted the door red

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
                    wow.. it warns if someone has painted the door red
                    That respray you were after,.............dial in any colour you like and it paints to order.
                    94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by mdz View Post
                      On newer cars (or engines) you can read various information off CAN bus (what's most likely done on that A2).
                      Hi man. I see you are around the topic. I need your input regarding the following issue:
                      We are slowly putting '04 AWM into B4 and I have no idea how to display fuel consumption because fuel consumption on AWM comes to dashboard via CANbus. It was no prob on B4 with '99 AEB (distinct f consumption signal from ECU) but what can be done with later Motronic here?

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post

Hi man. I see you are around the topic. I need your input regarding the following issue:
                        We are slowly putting '04 AWM into B4 and I have no idea how to display fuel consumption because fuel consumption on AWM comes to dashboard via CANbus. It was no prob on B4 with '99 AEB (distinct f consumption signal from ECU) but what can be done with later Motronic here?
                        Hi!
                        Just wire it up and see if it works. I'm not at home at the moment, don't have wiring diagrams at hand, but take APU engine for example, pinout is the same on all motronic ME7.5 ecus. Later B6/B7 has ecus with different CPU, don't know about these, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's separate fuel consumption output, just not wired up, haven't got my hand on later ecus. I'm also using B6 ecu (don't know engine code and part number), flashed with AWT software and fuel consumption output is working.
                        If you have any questions about 1.8T swap, I'll be glad to help. I have fully working drive-by-wire wideband Motronic ME7.5 setup in my car.

Comment

Wow wow wow, that's a promising info about dedicated 7.5 ECU signal chance!
                          One throttle-cabled car with my loom has been successfully running since last winter already. Hopefully, we will fire up the second car with throttle-by-wire this winter. I have made the engine loom in August, but guys have been postponing engine works for hundreds of reasons since that.

Comment

Working...
                          X