Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B3 Saloon Reshell Of My Dead S2, Plus A Huge Turbo and a Mega Diet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 Saloon Reshell Of My Dead S2, Plus A Huge Turbo and a Mega Diet.

Right! I've not posted anything up regarding what I'm doing with my many vehicles when I move house officially this week, I'm only going a mile and I have a fantastic new workshop at the bottom of my garden. It still needs a little work to finish off but I'm in the dry and will have a pit an an hydraulic lift plus loads of storage space up stairs, it needs the metal cladding fitting and the roller doors and weather board doing on the front externally and it still need to be wired up. I have a couple of sockets and lead lights but once the sparky's fished I'll have 9 strip lights, three of them doubles up the centre and Seven double sockets as well as an extra one in my pit. I'll have a work bench about 10 meters long, one end for doing dirty jobs and the other finished with a toughened glass top so it's straight forward to get sterile, I've taught myself to rebuild turbos the only thing I can't do is balance them...yet, I'd love to get a machine but their prohibitively expensive.

Basically I have way too many cars..... I'm good at spotting a bargain but not so good at selling them on, currently have the following in the order they must be deposed of in....

1992 Golf GTi Run out model, fitted with a G60 Engine and running gear plus some sort of special gearbox. Five door in Tornado Red

1990 Super original Corrado G60, LHD Import on about 66K miles. Full Black leather, no rust or mod's EVER!

1988 Golf GTI MK 2 16 Valve in Oak Green with original black leather, could do with some love bodywork wise but nothing too serious and is mechanically spot on.

1994/5 C4 V6 saloon picked up cheap to fix the following, good solid car with loads of new parts. Found Four pairs of Armani Glasses inside which just happen to be my prescription. The car came from a dead farmer so I have no qualms in keeping them. Mega bonus!

1997 C4 30V 2.8 V6 Saloon, really rare car and goes well enough to be entertaining. I'm still considering breaking this as well but I know that will come back to haunt me.

1989 B3 Saloon to made as light as possible while still being able to get an MOT, PLUS this car will be the subject of this thread. I want it to go really fast in a straight line and not kill me.

1995 RS2, exceptional car one previous owner on the V5, FSH, just past 100K with an MTM K26/7 Conversion done from new by Brian Rickets. So expensive I'm scared to drive it. Long term restoration project now their worth so much everything must be perfect.

My Daily Long-haul wagon. A C4 100 Avant on 118K miles with a FSH and the 2.8 12V V6 engine which goes well enough, plus it's is like driving a comfy hotel room with the space of small van.

Oh yeah and I have sinned and purchased a 2003 1.2 16V Clio as run about for short journeys, it's just done 38K mikes and cost £250 on the road plus a days swearing at it.

The Current spec list for the B3 80 goes something like this. which I already have stashed ready.

2.2 Bottom end with forged rods as well as new bearings and seals etc built up by Andy10V.

Nothelle ported head done by JK from Brian Rickets, it's signed by him and the work is top class. I'll give this an overhaul and de-coke but it doesn't need anything else doing to it other than a set of stem seals which should always be replaced as matter of course when you start pulling valves out.

3B Inlet manifold gas flowed to suit the the head, done by the same guy.

A choice of T3 or K26 of those cheap eBay Wagner knock offs, these manifolds require porting before use among various other corrections, as the casting, while correct is disgusting, using one straight out of the box would be akin to removing your air filter and throwing in random bit's of metal, however a couple of hours with a dia grinder.sorts this.

Also got one of those eBay SS manifolds tubular jobs and reckon with a bit of work their fine to use as the welding is very tidy and they fit well, not as bad as people say but I'll be re cutting the exhaust flange and adding stress relief cut's before using it, if I use it. Oh Yeah and you can forget using an airbox with one and you need to make up new oil and water lines, I have a mate with one fitted to is car and it seems to holding up fine with no improvements. It also would require extensive bracing

Probably going to build a 3.5" down pipe exiting the wing when I fit my final Turbo.

NM Cam's

All new ignition system.

Zeitronix to keep an eye on everything

Going to try various gearbox's and will probably break some.

Custom Coil-overs with a good selection of springs.

Huge intercooler.

This will be a major weight saving project, so no Under Seal etc or anything else not required to pass an MOT. No ABS or PAS or any hydraulics at all for that matter, manual steering rack and vacuum brakes.

I'm planning to run the car in on a stock K24 to get the car running right before then moving up to an RS2 hybrid which'll do considerably over 400BHHP, then once I'm happy with how that's running it's getting an old school K29/7/8 Hybrid. ******** to the lag.,

The start of my mock up of an RS2+ Turbo using an 8 Hotside with 56 mm outlet. Just need to decide on the best billet wheel to use.

P1010084.JPGP1010081.JPGP1010083.JPG

And here's a big one that's going on in the end, again I still need to decide on what Comp wheels to use, plus some pic of the fit of the manifold.

P1010095.JPGP1010087.JPG
    P1010096.JPGP1010089.JPGP1010094.JPGP1010086.JPG

P1010091.JPG
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 19 October 2018, 06:21. Reason: Various spelling mistakes.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Already looking forward to what'll become of this!!

…..any pics of the mk2 Golf?

Comment

WOW stunning collection of motors there Kit any pics of the Oak green mk2 Golf one of my favourites

Comment

where did you get the knock-off wagner manifold? I'd heard about them before but never saw one for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
          Already looking forward to what'll become of this!!

…..any pics of the mk2 Golf?
          Yeah this should be interesting, the B3 Saloon is very light anyway fully stripped it should way sod all.

Which MK2 are you interested in seeing pic's off, the Oak Green one I'm guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
            WOW stunning collection of motors there Kit any pics of the Oak green mk2 Golf one of my favourites
            Cheers Anthony, it's basically all my cars from the last ten years, I've picked up the majority as non runners and never got around to selling them which is now paying dividends, but really all the VW's have to go as well as the C4 Saloons. The G60 just needs the conversion tidying up and de-lowering, the Corrado really deserves a full respray and it'll probably get sold back in Europe, the 16 Valve needs a bit of body work and then really a full respray. The 2.6 C4 only cost £300 and it's got new suspension and various other bits on it, I picked it up to repair the front end of my 30 Valve as it's the same colour nut I cam see me breaking both of them as the parts sell really well and it'll provide a spare gear box for the B3 project. Plus I need the space,

Not got any recent pic's of my 16 Valve and it's in storage, I'll try and find some old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
              where did you get the knock-off wagner manifold? I'd heard about them before but never saw one for sale.
              Ebay, some people in Germany are really taking the piss and selling them for £300 odd ,but there's a UK seller knocking them out for peanuts..... Buyer beware the castings are awful and require extensive work but the metal itself seems to be nice and ductile, the last one I picked up needed the holes for the turbo re-drilling and the finish on the bolt holes isn't as good as the one I got last year but for 70 quid it's worth spending a day sorting one out.

Here's a link, I'm in no way endorsing this product!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cast-Iron...X5Nb:rk:1:pf:0

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

Yeah this should be interesting, the B3 Saloon is very light anyway fully stripped it should way sod all.

Which MK2 are you interested in seeing pic's off, the Oak Green one I'm guessing.
                Yes, sorry I meant the Oak Green .

Comment

Some pic's of the car how it looks now. It's a bit tatty but really solid and basically straight with no corrosion or accident damage and unmolested jacking points, the offside wing is being replaced due to a rotten wheel arch, the other one is totally solid which is odd as normally the nearside ones go first. It'll get a basic respary at some point but that really isn't top of my priority's, I don't want to change the exterior appearance of the car at all apart from some 15" wheels, got a tidy set of stock Speedlines to go on as well as some really shinny reconditioned ones which are for sale as I'd rather spend the money on mechanical stuff. The choice Velour is going to be replace by two bucket seats, so it's up for grabs if any one's interested it came from a 20V Coupe and I have the rear bench to go with the front seats.

P1010347.JPGP1010341.JPGP1010328.JPGP1010342.JPG
                  l

P1010331.JPGP1010336.JPG
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by K Simmonds; 21 October 2018, 03:31.

Comment

Wow some great cars there & looking forward to updates on the 80
                    sigpic
                    Cab 2.3E
                    90q
                    URS6

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

Ebay, some people in Germany are really taking the piss and selling them for £300 odd ,but there's a UK seller knocking them out for peanuts..... Buyer beware the castings are awful and require extensive work but the metal itself seems to be nice and ductile, the last one I picked up needed the holes for the turbo re-drilling and the finish on the bolt holes isn't as good as the one I got last year but for 70 quid it's worth spending a day sorting one out.

Here's a link, I'm in no way endorsing this product!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cast-Iron...X5Nb:rk:1:pf:0
                      Thanks for the link, I'll pick one up soon and have a play with it. It can't be any worse than the manifolds 034 sell, those was truly bad on the inside.

Comment

Right, thought I should update this thread, partly to let people know I'm still gong to be turning this B3 into high power low weight machine, however I've had a fairly major change of plan for the car, since parts for the original 20VT engine are drying up at quite a remarkable rate I thought It'd make more sense to install and upgrade a relatively modern four pot 1.8T and save the old school 20VT goodies I have stashed away to keep my RS2 on the road. Plus a lot of parts can be sold off providing funds for my RS2 as well as this project.

The 1.8T motor will be considerably easier fit, no welding in engine mounts for a five pot etc, in fact mechanically its literally is plug and play with the blocks being basically the same, as long as I use one of the first generations of the 1.8T engine. Plus it's a lot lighter weight lump and once fitted with some uprated rods is capable of producing some pretty serious power with the right engine management and choice of turbo's ect. Also consumables for these engines are still off the shelf item at the motor factors whereas finding some parts for the five pot 20V is starting to get difficult.

I've just taken the car off the road as it's ran out of MOT but it served me well all winter, I need to concentrate on selling a couple of VW's then I can get stuck into this.

Comment

I was going to start a new thread regarding this project but remembered I had already commenced this one...

Plan is get it through an MOT in its current state as it's a great car for the winter, when I'll start building up an eastern European style strocker using my old NG block and a 7A head I have to hand, I've spent a lot of time reading up on this and have found a confident machinist.

I'll update here as things happen, I need to get rid of as many excess vehicles as possible, the 16V Golf has gone and the aim is to get it down to just my 80, the RS2 and my Corrado.

Comment

Working...
                          X