Project: Cyclamen Pearl Red, back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Cyclamen Pearl Red, back from the dead

With plenty of time on my hands due to lockdown I decided to get on with a project I had had laid up since I bought it, which was unbelievably almost 2 years.

To say that it was in a bit of a state would be an understatement... Wings with huge holes, lacquer peel all over and everything underneath rusted to hell. These pics probably sum it up best.

2020-04-04 125733.jpg 2020-04-18 190015.jpg 2020-04-01 113719.jpg

When bought it it had been stood for several years, with it's last MOT in 2013. The previous owner, a forum member, had fallen on poor health and hadn't been able to do the work he wanted to. I was lucky enough to message first when posted for sale. When I got it the fuel lines had rotted away and been replaced with temporary lines. The gearbox also required attention; it would only go into first gear if reverse was selected first. The paint was poor and there is rust on a few other spots. But otherwise a pretty straight car.

So that's the bad out of the way. Spec wise the car is great, with bilsteins all round in good order, RS2 turbo, EM and airbox. PRJ map and miltek exhaust among the upgrades.

The first job I got onto was the fuel pump, following Rusty's guide, which wasn't too bad a job. Made a tool in the end to remove the basket which made life much easier.

2020-04-11 182806.jpg

Then I got on to stripping everything off for blasting and powdercoating.

2020-04-08 173210.jpg 2020-04-19 164208.jpg 2020-04-25 160945.jpg 2020-04-19 143912.jpg

Not everything is salvageable!

2020-04-19 164120.jpg

But it's mostly fine and looking good with new paint.

2020-04-09 132712.jpg

More to follow...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colesy; 20 May 2020, 20:49.

Wow! Big project, good luck.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Lockdown isn't all doom and gloom as more projects and restorations are getting some attention which is great to see.

Comment

This is great, always amazed how much effort people put in to get something back on the road...good luck!
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Big project, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
          96 URS6 plus speck saloon
          96 URS6 plus speck estate
          94 2.6 80 Avant
          99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

According to this: https://www.s2forum.com/forum/genera...s2-s-are-there , your is the second known cyclamen pearl car in the forum.

The funny thing is, the other one is also a Avant and has red silicone hoses, but it is a bit more handsome, yet.

Comment

Cheers guys

Originally posted by trichter05 View Post
              According to this: https://www.s2forum.com/forum/genera...s2-s-are-there , your is the second known cyclamen pearl car in the forum.

The funny thing is, the other one is also a Avant and has red silicone hoses, but it is a bit more handsome, yet.
              I saw that post when drafting this one, didn't realise it was such a rare colour. There is another ruby red one that is still in action I've seen on facebook. With a roll cage and all. Something to aim for maybe.

54514150_10157592435230400_5143194642283495424_o.jpg

Comment

From time to time, I see Ruby Red coloured S2´s in the adverts. It´s always ´94 and newer cars.

It´s hard to see any difference, between LZ3N and LZ3T, on photos.

The thing with those rare colours is: (saw once a ruby red RS2 and a byzanz purple S2 saloon, knowing a guy in person with a byzanz purple RS2)
                You are so proud, but then you see those colours on regular 80s, coupes and convertibles all over the place.

Im so free and showing a picture of mine. Was planning to convert it to LHD, but now it feels wrong owning a RS2 LHD and according to the quattro book, only 500...something S2 Avant were sold to the UK.

By the way, everyone that see those two cars and does not know anything about them, says the S2 looks nicer, because of the colour.
                WhatsApp Image 2019-03-22 at 11.35.01 (3).jpeg

I´m glad you saving such a rare car, a lot of people had break it for parts, at least a couple years ago.

Comment

Wasnt bens (s2avant) car ruby red? Is that back on the road, I know he sold it a couple of years back

Comment

Originally posted by trichter05 View Post
                    From time to time, I see Ruby Red coloured S2´s in the adverts. It´s always ´94 and newer cars.

It´s hard to see any difference, between LZ3N and LZ3T, on photos.

The thing with those rare colours is: (saw once a ruby red RS2 and a byzanz purple S2 saloon, knowing a guy in person with a byzanz purple RS2)
                    You are so proud, but then you see those colours on regular 80s, coupes and convertibles all over the place.

Im so free and showing a picture of mine. Was planning to convert it to LHD, but now it feels wrong owning a RS2 LHD and according to the quattro book, only 500...something S2 Avant were sold to the UK.

By the way, everyone that see those two cars and does not know anything about them, says the S2 looks nicer, because of the colour.
                    WhatsApp Image 2019-03-22 at 11.35.01 (3).jpeg

I´m glad you saving such a rare car, a lot of people had break it for parts, at least a couple years ago.
                    That does look smart. Was thinking about black wheels for it as I have a set of Pro Race 1.2s in storage, looks like they could work.

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2 View Post
                      Wasnt bens (s2avant) car ruby red? Is that back on the road, I know he sold it a couple of years back
                      Not sure what happened to Ben's car, was sold in bits I think: https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-audi-s2-avant

Comment

A quick update. The gearbox needed work so took the engine out. Was surprised to find a SMF. A little bit rusty like everything else...

filedata/fetch?id=2087075&d=1591649268&type=thumb

All the ancillaries on the front end have been shot blasted and powder coated, now slowly going back together.

filedata/fetch?id=2087074&d=1591649268&type=thumb

A lick of paint for the rusty bits in the engine bay too. Delrin steering arm bushes fitted from Alex/error404. I had a set of alloy subframe bushes which will be ideal for this. New track rod ends and bolts all round.
                        Attached Files
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 3 photos.
                        Last edited by Colesy; 8 June 2020, 23:10.

Comment

Nice work. Takes me right back two years ago when I was doing mine.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nice work, gonna be an interesting project thread to follow
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Things have been going rather slowly but I am getting there. New fuel lines are attached to the tank fuel tank and a new fuel pump is installed. The underside has been painted. New rear diff acquired to match the 0A3 gearbox, rear shafts, subframes, hubs etc blasted and powder coated, all rear suspension bushes replaced. New RS4 ARB acquired. New CV joints, new Bilsteins etc etc and it's all now slowly being fitted back onto the car! Here's a few pics.

2021-03-06 13.33.37.jpg
                              2021-03-06 13.19.13.jpg
                              2021-03-06 13.19.40.jpg
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X