Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to check/replace after long standstill ....asking for a friend ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to check/replace after long standstill ....asking for a friend ;-)

it is almost too embarrassing to ask, but my S2 has been off the road for longer than I dare to remember. But now is the time to end that, but some checks will be needed to do this safely. The most obvious is all fuel related rubbery connections, but what else will need tlc after having been idle for some years? What can be expected to fail due to old age (other than my memory )

Timing belt
    anti freeze
    Brake fluid
    All belts
    Air filter
    oil and filter
    Fuel filter
    Water pump
    Idler pulley
    tyres
    Drain the tank. Don't try running g on old petrol.

​​​​
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 16 July 2020, 19:10. Reason: Forgot the oil
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Om doing this now mate.. check the harmonic damper.. on the crank pulley that the front plate isnt separating through rubber..... id do a service n belts change.. chk tyres.. brake lines, fuel lines.. oil cooler pipes.. leaks.. anything that can perish.. electrics..
      things lubricated and general looking after, rust..

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
        ....what else will need tlc after having been idle for some years? What can be expected to fail due to old age (other than my memory )
        How many years and in what conditions ?!! I'd be inclined to change the oil and filter, pull as much fuel out the tank as possible and replace with fresh stuff, pull out the plugs and then crank it over 'till the oil pressure is up, refit plugs and then go for it.

My 7A has been idle for 2 years now, I'll be doing the above. It has a timing belt on it with less than 10k miles, that'll stay on for now. A lot of perishable stuff doesn't like UV light.....so maybe depends how your car's been stored?........and if you were on top of it prior to laying up.

Hope you're well Henk and living the dream !?

Comment

Squirrels' nest in the air-filter box;
          Mud-wasps' nest in the door-hinge cavity. Run!;
          Tire side-walls and tread-roots for age-cracks;
          Tire air valves for age-expired rubber body - instant blow-out;
          Hood release mechanism only good for just one more release before breaking;
          Possibly have the discs turned just a skim to remove pad-prints, and don't trust the parking-brake right away;
          Clutch fluid might best be bled;
          Exhaust hangers perished - replace with 3 of the VAG chain-filled ones; and
          Hatch struts sag / fail slightly and head hits latch when you lift your head and lean back to straighten-up after leaning into the trunk. Ouch!.
          Last edited by Lago Blue; 16 July 2020, 23:44.

Comment

4.5 years laid up, checked the oil, water levels, slapped a new battery on it and fired it up, on 4.5 year old petrol.

No dramas, once I knew it ran, I then started sorting things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
              4.5 years laid up, checked the oil, water levels, slapped a new battery on it and fired it up, on 4.5 year old petrol.

No dramas, once I knew it ran, I then started sorting things out.
              Good approach

Comment

Thanks guys.

She's been in my garage all the time, no animals there.
                I'll roll her outside first before I start r up, and have fire extinguisher at hand (foam type, not powder)
                tires were with almost no profile, so no loss there

Comment

Working...
                X