No announcement yet.

1985 Audi 90 turbo-quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip, but I don't know where the water will come from?
    Perhaps condensation, but in my case, I poured oil between the shock absorber and the rack so that heat would be transferred when heated. That is, in my case, there will be no water.

Comment

Hi sir,

I'm not entirely sure where the water comes in from either, however given that it may, perhaps that question ought to be set aside for now as it is a less important consideration than - how can any water that might collect inside the strut; get out? Because if it can't, you blow the dampers.

That is the point of the warning Bilstein is trying to bring to our attention here. Hence, their vent / drain-hole recommendation (note their use of the words "must be drilled"). Bilstein's suggested fix prevents the destruction of the dampers that I and other owners have suffered, prior to doing this mod, and not since.

If you have poured oil into the annular space between the installed Bilstein damper and the Macpherson strut tube, then yes you may gather less net water, but here's the thing - because of the (upside-down compared to conventional dampers) construction (called "mono-tube") of the B6's and B8's, the lowest chamber inside the yellow tube is air-filled and must remain so. And here is the most important point - without the drain / vent hole mod drilled in the strut base, any liquid present inside the strut (which puts that chamber's base "underwater" (or oil), will be drawn into that lowest damper chamber, eventually filling it enough that it effectively hydro-locks the damper piston solid enough that the damper finally blows it's internal seals.

Using oil to provide a better heat bridge from the damper body to the strut tube is a well-known thing you can do with conventional twin-tube type dampers, but not to mono-tubes; without unintended consequences.

This mod is the best protection we have to shield you from this unfortunate possibility, not just because we are not exactly sure how water gets in, but also most importantly; as we can't always stop it from doing so.
      Last edited by Lago Blue; 7 September 2020, 23:31.

Comment

Exactly, I forgot that there are inverted ones. In general, this was all done a long time ago, about 3 years ago, and so far everything is fine

Comment

this is coming along beautifully, well done you
          ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
          THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

The time has come to make a new wiring. Since the battery migrated into the trunk, I began by laying a new power one for the generator, starter, fuse box, and also the mass.
            a1a4deds-960.jpg
            f9a4deds-960.jpg

Further, AEM additional devices + VAG devices were purchased. ECUmaster brain, wires, heat shrink, etc.

19a4deds-960.jpg
            b1a4deds-960.jpg
            The brain was located in the cabin under the panel and from there he spread the wiring

1da4deds-960.jpg
            dda4deds-960.jpg
            43a4deds-960.jpg
            25a4deds-960.jpg
            35a4deds-960.jpg
            a3a4deds-960.jpg
            53a4deds-960.jpg
            c454deds-960.jpg
            a7a4deds-960.jpg
            Vag additional devices overexposed diodes that would fit into the tone of the rest of the illumination

55a4deds-960.jpg

Made a podium instead of a duct grill
            8da4deds-960.jpg
            2da4deds-960.jpg

Refurbished headlights
            f3a4deds-960.jpg

Comment

Just an observation from experience of putting an AAN into a B2. That’s probably not going to be enough water cooling.
              85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                Just an observation from experience of putting an AAN into a B2. That’s probably not going to be enough water cooling.
                yes, it happened, there will be photos of modernization of the cooling system

Comment

Cracking build there my friend

Comment

Nice,work.Looking,good.

Comment

Assembly
                      6f435404k1c4-960.jpg
                      6f435404k472-960.jpg
                      6f435404k382-960.jpg
                      6f435404k270-960.jpg
                      6f435404k244-960.jpg
                      6f435404lcd-960.jpg
                      Since the car will be intensively used in winter, all the spars are flooded with Movil and the hidden elements are missed with pushers, a metal pallet protection is also installed.
                      6f435404k474-960.jpg
                      6f436g4k10e-960.jpg
                      And an aluminum fuel pump.
                      6f435404k47a-960.jpg
                      6f435404k494-960.jpg
                      Welded exhaust 70mm, with stock can at the end
                      6f435404k47c-960.jpg
                      6f435404k498-960.jpg
                      Since there is a new gearbox, I had to change it from fur to an electronic speedometer
                      6f435804l1e-960.jpg
                      And illuminate the tidy with diodes
                      6f435804k106-960.jpg
                      Installed a racing wheel
                      6f435804l4c-960.jpg
                      6f435804k1c4-960.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X