uR quattro front wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uR quattro front wing

So, during the summer, I bought a 1988 MB and I’ve been doing bits and pieces to it since. Like most of them mine had been attacked by the tin worm so I had a local guy doing a bit of work to the sills and floor. Last night he phone me to say “ very bad news! The passenger wing is a botch job and is mainly isopon. You’ll need to get a replacement wing.”
    I want to use the car and drive it as much as possible, that’s why I bought it so I reckoned that a second hand wing would do me all right. Turns out they are like hens teeth!
    However, I got a tip off late last night and I followed it up this morning and tada I thought you guys might like to see what a brand new uR quattro front passenger side wing looks like.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 4WDrifter; 10 December 2022, 15:31.
    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Looks like you struck gold there. You must be delighted with finding such a rare motoring artifact.

Comment

Nice.
      I had to have mine re built completely at great cost
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hopefully it will be from the original batch that audi made. In around 2006, the dies were remade but the fit was very poor but still, better than nothing

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2 View Post
          Hopefully it will be from the original batch that audi made. In around 2006, the dies were remade but the fit was very poor but still, better than nothing
          It is original batch! There was a newer wing too, from that later run when the presses were worn, which was a good bit lighter in weight too, I had one in each hand, so I dug deep and coughed up and went for the heavier one.
          It is sitting on the floor in my hall and I keep going out to look at it and pinch myself that I own it.
          I feel a bit guilty actually fitting it.
          1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
          2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
          2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
            Nice.
            I had to have mine re built completely at great cost
            Last night before I got the steer I was thinking I was in your boat.
            Tonight I just removed the words “ re built completely “ from your sentence.

1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
            2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
            2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Which body part did you trade that for

Comment

You made the right choice

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2 View Post
                  You made the right choice
                  I’ll know on Monday evening when I test fit it.

1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                  2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                  2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                    Which body part did you trade that for
                    funny it didn’t feel like I was handing over a kidney or an arm. I took an amount of cash with me that I thought was in the ballpark and I came home with the wing and a single £20 note as a luck penny.
                    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

I guess it would all depend on the person selling it, Some people would see that as a piece of gold and the price would be ridiculous maybe into 4 figures. I 've seen the lower rubber door trim moulds for the coupe go for over £1000 so nothing surprises me anymore with the price of parts for these cars. Have to say it's an amazing find, it's kind of like winning the lottery finding that wing.
                      Last edited by B5NUT; 11 December 2022, 11:45.

Comment

How much did it cost? I'm curious to know if it exceeds the estimate I have in mind.

Comment

The dilemma I faced was that I want the car back and I needed a wing. My option were:
                          1. get the repair panels off eBay and get my local guy to carry out the major repair of my existing wing- more delay
                          2. fit a fibreglass wing- quicker but needs to be ordered and posted- more delay
                          3. get a second hand wing from anywhere but again post and couriers all slow this time of year
                          4. get a second hand wing locally over this weekend and I’m able to give it to my man on Monday evening and he cracks on with the work.
                          There always had been a bit of a story about a stash of parts where I got this but never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d arrive home with a new wing. I had a choice of a second hand wing and new recent version. Then the wing I bought was produced to give a comparison in weight with the new recent version. I had no doubt that my local guy would be able to fettle the notoriously poor fitting version onto my car but when the original appeared I was smitten. The easiest grand I’ve ever parted with!
                          1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                          2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                          2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                            How much did it cost? I'm curious to know if it exceeds the estimate I have in mind.
                            1k less £20

1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                            2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                            2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Turns out my estimate was bang on (less £20), I used the tried and tested "think of the maximum value I'd stretch to and double it".

Comment

Working...
                              X