Another S2 ABY - 1996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another S2 ABY - 1996

I've got two S2's at the moment and due to being busy with 'other' things, like getting my garages finished and the pending kitchen move, both are needing some TLC. One in particular is a project car that I picked up in September last year off a forum member who had the car for 12 years. Lots of very good work had been done in terms of upgrades, and due to one thing and another it never got finished.

I think we've all been there with that feeling and a lack of motivation to get things finished. This is where I am at the moment and as such I started work on it at the weekend otherwise it is going to become an unfinished project for sale. That said, I will only keep one S2 and I think it's likely to be the other one which is down to colour preference.

So it's a 1996 ABY in red. Interior wise it's black leather with the ribbed seats which I prefer, black headlining and wood trim. There's an electric sunroof which works and the mileage at approximately 149K with a standard engine that runs well. There's service history which is reasonable with lots of bills and receipts. A bit of a OS rusty patch on the front wing and the odd age related mark here and there but overall what appears to be a very solid car.

Here's a list of jobs so far:

1. The engine is standard and I plan on doing a timing belt due to the time off road, an oil change with new coolant etc.
    2. The fuel lines could do with being replaced.
    3. Four wheel alignment due to having suspension replaced.
    4. CV boots need clips.
    5. Oil leak from the top of the engine.
    6. Brake fluid leak from NS front calliper.
    7. Bleed brakes.
    8. Remove old exhaust and fit S/S Miltek exhaust system from the cats back.
    9. Repair dint to NS sill where it fell off the bottle jack with the previous owner which I believe was the last straw.
    10. Water jets missing from the front bumper.
    11. General tidy up.

Good Bits and there are lots of them:

1. Front end front subframe changed to a galvanised subframe supplied by Brian Tonks.
    2. Bambridge poly spec engine mounts.
    3. Bambridge poly spec gearbox mounts
    4. Bambridge solid alloy subframe mounts ( new bolts from Audi)
    5. Steering arms bushes and adjuster changed to Bambridge
    6. Upgraded wishbones which are powder coated and Power Flex Bushes (new bolts).
    7. New wheel bearings x4 with all housings stripped and re-painted.
    8. Front brakes are Porsche 996 Brakes with 314mm Discs (new) Bambridge Adaptors, Goodridge Hoses, new Pagid pads with new anti vibration pads.
    9. Coilovers front and rear with new springs.
    10. Rear Subframe changed and powder coated Bambridge poly spec rear transmission mounts
    11. Bambridge solid ally subframe mounts Wishbones.
    12. Powerflex anti roll bar bushes.
    13. Rear Brakes Upgraded to 296mm Discs (new) 1 Caliper replaced with new slider pins, carriers stripped and re-plated.
    Attached Files
    Steve

1990 RR 20V
    1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Exhaust is now off and TBH it was well past it's best. It did put up a good fight as every spring hit me on the thumb when the bolts snapped whilst undoing the the Cats. In fact one went so far, I didn't find it until the next day. Snapped three drill bits as well drilling out the broken ones.
    Attached Files
    Steve

1990 RR 20V
    1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

While the exhaust is off it makes sense to do the fuel lines as access will be easier. I can see around some of the clips that there is staining from fuel that is leaking out.

So all clips undone and one even came apart as I was doing this. Spent a good hour de-scaling the rubber mounts making sure that all of the rusty metal is removed and will put plenty of grease in there as per the forum write up.
      Attached Files
      Steve

1990 RR 20V
      1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Trying to get to the fuel filter is not easy as the rubber bobbins have delaminated so the nut is just turning. Fortunately I invested in some long reach mole grips las week which gave me access and held the metal cap/top part so I could removed the nut.

This US Pro stuff is cheap enough and seems quite good quality. I think they were £19.99 including delivery.
        Attached Files
        Steve

1990 RR 20V
        1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Your garage is immaculate. I'm going to hide mine from now on
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

So the red one is being kept....or the other?!

Agree on the US Pro/Bergen tools, I'm very happy with their stuff too.
            Last edited by John.; 23 January 2024, 06:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
              Your garage is immaculate. I'm going to hide mine from now on
              I have only just moved in Dave, so give it time. That said, Mrs Brown is amazed that I have doormats at the entrances of all three garages and at the weekend, not only did I vacuum them, I also mopped the floor as well.

The two pack epoxy resin paint is awesome as it withstands chemicals, not sure if I should have picked light grey though as it shows up all the muck and grease.
              Steve

1990 RR 20V
              1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                So the red one is being kept....or the other?!

Agree on the US Pro/Bergen tools, I'm very happy with their stuff too.
                Eventually I will sell the red one. An ideal car for someone wanting big power as the brakes and suspension have all been done.

Just looking now to order my next lot of tools from them,......so much choice :-).
                Steve

1990 RR 20V
                1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Needing advice already. I’ve read the fuel line replacement guide and I was just about to cut the pipes when I noticed that one of them had a residue of petrol on it.

This means that I will have to cut the pipe further up but just how do you get in there? I can’t get from underneath and there’s no access from the top?
                  Steve

1990 RR 20V
                  1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Which end are we talking Steve? I presume engine end. Is the heat shield removed? It's very tight but I have pushed a straight new pipe up into the engine bay and made the bends and connections afterwards. Easier if it has plastic sheath on it first.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Which end are we talking Steve? I presume engine end. Is the heat shield removed? It's very tight but I have pushed a straight new pipe up into the engine bay and made the bends and connections afterwards. Easier if it has plastic sheath on it first.
                      Yes Dave, it's in the engine bay end. Did you remove the brake reservoir and master cylinder?

I am also thinking of removing the cats to give a bit better access?
                      Attached Files
                      Steve

1990 RR 20V
                      1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

I've done this a few times and the car is normally stripped bare. I can't remember if the brake reservoir was on but I don't think the cats will make any difference. If you get a length of 8mm pipe and try pushing up where the pipes go. Which pipe is leaking? Only the feed is high pressure. You are working on the ramp? You need good access.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I've done this a few times and the car is normally stripped bare. I can't remember if the brake reservoir was on but I don't think the cats will make any difference. If you get a length of 8mm pipe and try pushing up where the pipes go. Which pipe is leaking? Only the feed is high pressure. You are working on the ramp? You need good access.
                          Yes, it is the feed that is leaking.

The car is on the ramp so I have access from underneath but can’t get my hands in. I’ll also need to undo the clip that holds the pipes and also the one on the top side underneath the brake reservoir.

Obviously if the engine wasn’t in it would be straight forward. I just don’t want to have to take the engine out.
                          Steve

1990 RR 20V
                          1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Good luck then.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Quick question, what tool do you use to get to the 4th nut on the exhaust? My plan is the remove the down pipe and cats which will give more room along with the air filter and master cylinder.

Also had a visitor aswell.
                              Attached Files
                              Steve

1990 RR 20V
                              1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Working...
                              X