Red Rocket: Idiot AAN Swaps CQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Rocket: Idiot AAN Swaps CQ

Hi guys, been a lurker on the forum for years (and in fact bought my last car on here) but have never made a project thread. Please bear with me as this first post will have a lot of catch-up and be rather wordy and pic-heavy.

I'm Ben, living in Georgia in the USA. Not a lot of old Audis down here...

About a year ago I imported an ABY S2 Avant from the UK. I spent a lot of time and money on it (coilovers, steering rack, euro Cabriolet recaros, RS2 bits etc) but I never really fit in it super well. I am relatively tall with a long torso. I guess that's one problem with buying a car sight unseen from another country, lol! Was a great car and a fun experience. Ended up selling it to a buddy of mine who really wanted the car.

Off to a good home...

He brought me a partial trade as part of the deal.

1991 Coupe Quattro that's already got some goodies. I've owned 4 1995 S6 (two sedans, two Avants), an S2 Avant, and a C5 RS6 but never a CQ.
    - 191k miles
    - wrapped 3M gloss Hot Rod Red over tornado paint, which was certainly a choice
    - zero rust, originally from California
    - 7a running an EMU Classic standalone
    - 5 lug conversion (s2 hubs?)
    - S2 front bumper without headlight washers
    - H&R springs
    - rear sway bar (I think RS2)
    - Sparco R100 seats and Sparco steering wheel with hub adapter
    - OZ Superturismo wheels
    - some sort of exhaust?
    - short shifter
    - lots and lots of parts, including AAN block.
    - extra VEMS PNP ECU for AAN

I ended up loving how the car drove. It probably helped that my head didn't hit the ceiling -- The Sparco seats made a big difference with the driving position.

The Sparco steering wheel was hideous and looked out of place in the interior so it had to go. Luckily I had a euro 3 spoke wheel in the garage that was a direct fit.

Before:

After (also found some floor mats that kinda fit, out of a 1996 Infiniti J30 I used to own)

Also cannibalized the Euro S8 Avus that I got on the S2. I really think black wheels looked awful on the bright red paint.

Now begins the actual project part. There is a pretty weird backstory behind this car. It was modified around 2017 with wheels, bumper, wrap, standalone, etc. Eventually it sold on Bringatrailer and was purchased by someone in Vermont. This guy dropped the car off at a shop to be AAN swapped, and while the shop was gathering parts he unfortunately passed away. My buddy bought the car from the guy's father and picked up all the AAN parts from the shop.... and now I've ended up with everything. Boxes and boxes full.

AAN block:

So...... here's where I assessed everything that came with the car and ran into some problems.

- the block had been torn down (I guess to inspect it?) and everything was rattling around in a box so the main and rod bearings were ruined.
    - Missing a bunch of components from the head. In fact the head was totally bare with nothing except for valve guides.
    - Missing valve cover

Luckily a friend had a head he pulled off his rally car that I'm currently having built. It's already quite heavily ported. Just needed a valve job.

Ceramic polished 3B intake manifold and boost pipe arrived...

Rods and head studs....

After a couple nights working on it off and on, the 7a was out! My buddy came to help and pose for the pic.

Rotating assembly put together -- polished crankshaft, new bearings, forged rods w/ARP hardware.

At this point this brings us to last weekend. I removed the battery box (will clean up later when wiring harness is out).

Pulled the dash and the heater box. What a pain! In case anyone is about to attempt this, make sure you get the two bolts near the blower motor inlet in the cowl.... I was scratching my head trying to figure out why it wouldn't come out.

Here's the current situation. What a pain trying to remove the 7a harness. I have a 3B S2 harness I will likely be converting to coil on plug AAN spec to go in the car, but if anyone has an ABY LHD harness for sale let me know.... also, anyone have any tips and tricks for getting the 7a harness out?

Here is a brief recap of the plans:

- H beam forged rods
    - ARP head studs
    - Ferrea valves in head
    - AAN cams (I like quick spool)
    - larger turbo eventually, but will run the stock one now
    - RS2 rep log manifold
    - 3B water manifold
    - Deka 630 injectors
    - V belt setup for now.
    - 3b intake manifold
    - Reusing the EMU Classic the car had installed already

Anyway, that brings us up to now. Been trying to get things done quickly as I'd love to have the car at a local show here in late May. Probably not realistic, but it keeps me motivated. Thanks for reading!

Sounds like an interesting project.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nice project....been there as well actually still I am
      Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Bit of a progress report. I did manage to get the engine harness out!

One thing I want to mention before I get into that is the process used to remove the heater box. Every DIY I read seemed to not include several things that made it impossible for me to get it out until I figured them out.

- two bolts in the cowl where the inlet for the blower motor is
        - 8mm Allen where the AC hoses go into the firewall actually connects to the heater box.
        - You have to remove the hose clamp in the same area also.

Wish I had taken photos but in case anyone is pulling the heater box soon please make sure you remove those!

Next I worked on getting the harness out.

Used the clips to lift up the fuse box and remove some plugs from the back...

This set of connectors was quite a pain. I was worried I was going to have to move the ABS unit to get these wires pulled out but I was able to slightly bend a couple lines and sneak the connectors past -- also had to pull the return line off the power steering reservoir and snake it out for a little more clearance.

Cursed spaghetti ready to come out. Note there is only one ground in the cabin tied to the engine harness. When you look up in the dash there are like 15 ground cables but only one needs to be removed.

I pulled the harness out into the engine bay.

Success!!!

Now I need to degrease the engine bay, clean up the mess from deleting the battery box, etc. I am going with an S2 crossmember and RS2 intercooler, which should be shipping from Ireland early next week. Am I right in thinking I can order ABY boost hoses even if I am using a 3B intake manifold?
        Last edited by benznotmercedes1; 21 March 2024, 15:51.

Comment

Interesting project, subscribed to follow this tread.

Are you planning on keeping the US rear bumper or source a Euro style?

Comment

Originally posted by VW-1964 View Post
            Interesting project, subscribed to follow this tread.

Are you planning on keeping the US rear bumper or source a Euro style?
            Thanks!

I bought a Euro rear bumper already from a friend but it's in Buffalo, NY which is 13 hours each way from where I live. I need to find some time to drive up there.

Comment

wow i just love this red coupe

Comment

OK, wiring harness time. Looking for advice/input about what to do.

Option 1: Use 3B S2 harness. I have one. Figure out how to convert the harness to run coil on plug/work on an AAN. I believe they sell kits to do this? The advantage would be that the fuse box side would be very easy.

Option 2: Use AAN harness. The engine side would work and the harness I have has already been converted to run 2.0t coils. It came out of a running swapped CQ.

My problem is that I'm extremely bad at wiring. I'm trying to read up on what I need to do.

Here is what's labeled on the modded AAN harness:

- "K: white in coupe" red/green AAN side, white wire coupe side
                - "L-wire diagnostic" red/white AAN side, black/white wire coupe side
                - "Fuel pump" yellow/brown wire AAN side, red/blue wire coupe side
                - "30 + all the T (does this mean constant power? Pin 30 somewhere?) red wire on both sides
                "Power fuel pump on +" 2 blue wires AAN side merged into one red wire coupe side
                "15 + Key on Power" Black wire AAN side, thinner black wire coupe side

"ECU Pin 40" violet/blue wire connected to green/blue wire. I think this goes to the instrument cluster?
                "Ground" self explanatory
                "After run pump" relay plug

And then various plugins are labeled on the engine side.

I know this is extremely vague. Am I right in thinking I would need to use part of the 7a harness and connect the same color wires on the 7a harness?

Comment

I would consider making a completely new engine harness with some Standalone ECU (MaxxECU, Ecumaster, etc), you will be 100% sure there are no faults or some. I am currently making new engine harness and its not a big deal. You could check it in my topic here on s2forum.
                  I found the stock connectors were very brittle . In the end its much better to have a freshly new wires than 30+ years old one.
                  Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Hey Ben, good to see you start a thread for your project. At the rate you're going, I bet you'll be done before me...and my swap is already running and driving. lol

I love those Avus wheels on pretty much any Audi, but especially a B3/4. I have a similar (kinda sorta) set of B6 Avus that I need to have refinished for my coupe.

Marc at EFI Express sells a conversion harness (with coil style options), if you were to keep the 3B harness.

https://shop.efi-motorsport.com/coll...ersion_harness
                    2001 A4 Avant QMS - FXK04'd
                    1991 Audi CQ - Project
                    1996 A4 12v Quattro Manual - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by jbrentd View Post
                      Hey Ben, good to see you start a thread for your project. At the rate you're going, I bet you'll be done before me...and my swap is already running and driving. lol

I love those Avus wheels on pretty much any Audi, but especially a B3/4. I have a similar (kinda sorta) set of B6 Avus that I need to have refinished for my coupe.

Marc at EFI Express sells a conversion harness (with coil style options), if you were to keep the 3B harness.

https://shop.efi-motorsport.com/coll...ersion_harness
                      Well, it's been almost a month so I kinda doubt I'll beat you....

Little small update.

- Head is back from the machine shop, looks nice
                      - got the oil pan and some accessories put on the AAN
                      - started work on figuring out the wiring. Have my AAN harness and 7a harness in the living room, making a spreadsheet of what goes where with wire colors.
                      - Picked up a bunch of parts from Peter in Buffalo including RS2 ABS bumper, RS2 fogs, black dashboard and door panels, etc.

Comment

Excellent thread and project. Keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                        X