Newbie! 3B Rebuild Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie! 3B Rebuild Project

Hi guys, I have 1992 3B Audi S2 and have 120,000 Kilometers in it. The car is totally stock except that the turbo doesn't work.
    I decided to replace it with a bigger one (enough to boost 380-400 HP).
    I'm think of getting all the RS2 bolt-on upgrades (Exhaust Manifold, Intercooler, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Regulator? Turbo maybe?).
    I heard about ignition system being restrictvie? can't I upgrade it?

And do you recommend me to rebuild the engine? what pistons, rods, bearings, head gaskets should i get?

What do I do about the ECU? I live in the middle east and our fuel rating is 91 unleaded.

Sorry for asking all those questions, im new at this.

Originally posted by Public Enemy
    Hi guys, I have 1992 3B Audi S2 and have 120,000 Kilometers in it. The car is totally stock except that the turbo doesn't work.
    I decided to replace it with a bigger one (enough to boost 380-400 HP).
    I'm think of getting all the RS2 bolt-on upgrades (Exhaust Manifold, Intercooler, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Regulator? Turbo maybe?).
    I heard about ignition system being restrictvie? can't I upgrade it?

And do you recommend me to rebuild the engine? what pistons, rods, bearings, head gaskets should i get?

What do I do about the ECU? I live in the middle east and our fuel rating is 91 unleaded.

Sorry for asking all those questions, im new at this.
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you look in the various threads in the forum regarding engines and turbos.

I am not a turbo owner but I will try to answer your questions.

The first question is 'how fast do you want to go? next question is how much money do you have?

This will answer many questions.

The engine shouldn't need a rebuild at such a low mileage ( EDIT: kilometerage) , many cars have 200,000 miles on the speedo and are still ok. The 5 pot engine is long lived, especially when looked after.

Fitting the rs2 conversion and then a mapped ECU should give you 350BHP I would have thought. Mihnea is a chip wizard and he would be the man to answer the question well. I know having such a low octane rating will not help you gain big power. A larger Intercooler may be better than the RS2 unit have a look at the intake section.

Which country are you in? this may help as maybe there may be someone who can guide you, who knows your country.

David

Comment

to stick insect: did you find out about the 2.6liters engines????

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
        to stick insect: did you find out about the 2.6liters engines????
        I will be looking at a non turbo 2.6 litre engine sometime. My car has done 22,500 miles and the engine is not run in yet!

I will colllect the parts and use the head from my spare 7A engine ( 40,000 miles) for the future. I think the 2.5tdi engine/crank with 7A pistons should do the job. I will have to have custom rods I think, unless you know of some the right length?

David

Comment

I live in Bahrain, where the F1 was held in April.

The octane we have is 95 RON unleaded and 87 MON which calculates to 91 PON (I think).

My budget is open.. i'm looking forward on building this car. I'm also searching for online vendors who can ship it here. I've heard of MTM and SMS and other good companies.

Comment

If you want new genuine parts for this then go here: www.vagparts.com

If you are sure 380bhp will be enough then you will want to have the full S2 setup which includes turbo, EM, IC, Injectors, metal headgasket, 7A or RS2 exhuast cam, 7A FPR. The only thing internally I would change is the big end rod bearings - you want to change them to RS2 items. (with the lower octane fuel you might struggle to get to the 380bhp, maybe a bit less than that)

If you want to get into changing rods and pistons, then are you wanting more power? Standard rods and pistons are good for the RS2 setup.

Before you splash out, you have to decide if you are going to be happy with 380bhp as it is expensive to upgrade to that but doubly expensive to get more out of it afterward - as you will be upgrading everything you have upgraded!

HTH
            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

stick insect: hehe,the rod length are the tricky part,they are 144mm,but very thicker in the middle rod.when you want to convert it to petrol,you may have the longer one,155-160mm,custommade,ekspensive,because the block are 16MM TALLER than the org 2,2-2,3 liter......the deckhight is taller!! have the fonenr to a guy in sweden,who has cheap xxHD long ones 158mm......8-))

Comment

@Public Enemy.... a full RS2 setup will work very well, with good power outputs. 380bhp with 98 RON fuels. The headgakset MUST be changed, or it will blow over 300bhp. Also if you are using stock 3B ignition system, make sure everything is in good order. If you get a misfire, then it will destroy the rods! Trust me
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

@Public Enemy - I guess we up here at high altitude with relatively high tempratures in South Africa with only 93RON available and you guys have a similar problem. I believe the solution to our problem lies in water injection.

I recently fitted an Aquamist water injection system to my S2 (I am running a RS2 engine in it). I had an unfortunate mishap with my cam pulley shortly after fitting it but my initial impressions were very good. The water injection drops the inlet temprature significantly and prevents detonation even with lower octane fuel. If you then chip tune your car for water injection, you can produce quite a lot of extra power.

Have a look at www.aquamist.co.uk - when my car is up and running again I'll post some more comments on it, and install guide.
                  1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
                  2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
                  2006 Misano Red RS4
                  2004 VW Touareg V8
                  2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
                  2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

You guys could try the octane boosters that fit inline with your fuel pipes. In uk it boosts 95 RON to 100 RON.

Can't guarentee they work, i have 1 mate who swears by it, 1 who says it doesn't work.

I'll post the link if i can remember it

Comment

Working...
                    X