My 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 80

Hi all, New to the forum so thought id post some pics of my car. Basically I just bought it to run around in whilst saving for an S2, grown abit attached to it though, thinking about either putting a 1.8t or S2 lump in it after the christmas period. Anyway...

As I got it, was quite scabby and needing some love, had been quite well maintained mechanically but was needing an exhaust and alot of bodywork sorted out....

After having it for about a week I decided I wanted to improve its looks
    So got a V6 front bumper, coupe seats and a few other bits

I just decided to do all the work myself (including the spraying). I cleaned up the arches etc, then got a 60/40mm lowering kit (shocks and springs), new track rod ends, droplinks, top mounts, wishbones etc. I also painted both back quarters as they were abit of a mess.

Before suspension etc went on

I then got some saab wheels which I really like and cleaned the rest of the car up alot, heres how it stands just now.

I know its only an 80 and not an S2 just thought id put some pics up of what iv been doing to it to see what use think

IMHO if you really want an S2 continue saving and not spend too much on the 80. You'll grow on the S2 aswell I would think.

Comment

Maybe, I quite like the idea of having something that little bit different though.

Comment

if it's a FWD it's not really worth it IMHO

Comment

It is FWD but if I was putting an S2 lump in it then id be using S2 running gear aswell, converting it to AWD doesnt really phase me to much

Comment

Nice project and good luck with it. Look a good car now you've fettled with it.
            Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

looks cool, nice project

IIRC its not that difficult to convert a B4 80 to quattro and it will handle better than a coupe and be lighter than an S2 avant

Keep eyes peeled for a stacked avant donor car then
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

If it was me,

with my experience to date, (btw, everyday is still a school day for me), I would look out for an Avant and buy it when funds allow.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48597

If you want to take a tortuous route on the money / effort front, buy a v6 quattro saloon and put an ABY S2 engine and box into it, and change the hubs and you will end up with a very nice car. RHD S2 Saloon.

Buy the red rare RHD one if it is still for sale. See posts on here.

Look at post number 1548 in the thread - "sticky - showcase best photo of your car", for inspiration.

Don't spend any more unnecessary money on your current car as you won't get it back, unless you intend to keep it as a spare car, as you will need to do when you own an S2. The other reason being it is not a quattro and while it is possible to "quattro" it, it is a lot of effort to make it into a quattro when you can go out and buy one ready made as far as the quattro part goes.

One small point, the front bumper currently fitted is not a an S2 bumper, but an earlier Coupe one - I think.

HTH, remember you did ask and it is just my opinion, but hopefully it assists you in your choices.

Post up what you do either way.

Kind regards.
                Last edited by macspring; 25 November 2010, 23:20.

Comment

Thanks for the comments
                  Iv been looking about for a smashed avant to buy, that would be a big help. Nothing will be happning with the engine until after the christmas period anyway. Still unsure what to do, would love to have the s2 engine and quattro system in this car, if not I might just continue saving and buy an s2 but whatever happens il be keeping this car.

Im on the lookout for an s2 avant rear bumper if anyone has one?, also would like s2 interior, dash/seats/door cards/vdo gauges etc to get rid of that horrid grey

Comment

About time I updated this, done quite a few bits over the last wee while, so spent today giving it a clean and took some photos.....

S2 Avant Back Bumper fitted

New Grille, Headlight protectors and colour coded mirrors..

Half Leather Interior, S2 Steering wheel and Aux gauges...

Next plans are find 17" 4x108 Boleros.., fit black dash and trim and its booked in for a nice cat back full stainless next friday because my current exhaust is abit worse for wear
                    Cheers for looking

Comment

nice car.. with 17" will be much better.. and interior color is very nice to me.. much better than black..

Comment

Not updated this in a long time!

Still just a 2ltr 8v but I still love it to bits!

Quite alot been happening over the last few months... Il let the pics to the talking...

Ran about like this for a month or so

then..

Hope you's like, still got plenty plans for it, next will be loosing the spoiler and spacing & dropping the rear slightly.

Comment

Colour code the side bits and find some spare headlights and some ellipsoid/projector lens(and glass) and make some s2 ellipsoid headlights and your pretty much there.

when you come to do your 4wd conversion you can use some a4 bits as pretty much the same rear ends and easier/cheaper to souce, couple of forum members doing this currently.

Comment

Yeh I will colour code the bump strips one day, maybe handles aswell.

Just really trying to go for the Competition look at the moment but abit modified

Cheers for that, il certainly look into it when the time comes

Comment

Looks great, nice project. My old saloon was a 2.0l 8v. The 90hp version with the single point injection, was really good on fuel! 1.8t in that would be sweet, just on with putting one in my coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X