Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am doing just mirrors

Comment

Once again, back in the UK for a few weeks, with any luck I can make some progress while I'm here.

I've managed to source a few bits over the past months;

IMG_1839 by Matt4475, on Flickr

This came up for sale for £200, I couldn't refuse at that price but it may affect my manifold and turbo choice.

IMG_1841 by Matt4475, on Flickr

Set of 4 genuine wheels, going to use them for winters now I know they will fit over the GT3 calipers with the brackets I have. I have 18" Cup 3s for summer

IMG_1840 by Matt4475, on Flickr

I know the genuine RS2 sedans don't have a spoiler, but something about my nostalgic view of early 90s fast saloons compels me to have one. I currently have a Hella one fitted which I've always liked, but I've decided to go genuine when I get everything painted.

IMG_1843 by Matt4475, on Flickr

New genuine grille, also have badge and fixings, unfortunately one of the few exciting things from a large order I made last year as almost every interior part came back as NLA.

IMG_1845 by Matt4475, on Flickr

I finally have a centre console with cassette holder, just like the RS2 press car! I fitted a period correct Blaupunkt head unit last year, so thought this would be ideal. I bought one off a forum member after asking for one in perfect condition, in short it wasn't even close. I finally got this one off eBay.de and made a good one from 5 different consoles I've acquired over the years

I'm hoping to strip all the running gear, but it's completely dependent on finding a 2 post lift for my workshop, without that I'll block every other car in. If that goes to plan I may well remove the engine and get the mounts welded in for the I5. Also it's just a case of a big order from tradition to get the rest of the body parts so I'm really not far from getting it painted.
      92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
      98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
      63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
      69 Austin Mini Cooper
      71 MGB GT
      75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
      04 Kawasaki GPX250
      96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

I have to tell you, your thread perplexes me in a bizarre, numbing way.
        I don't mean to get personal, but just so that I can sleep better, I hope you don't mind :

6 years since starting this thread ( I remember reading it when I bought my RS2 in 2012), away from home 2 years at a time... tour bus operator...

I am cool with the probability of the pay being good abroad. I am fine with life's priorities taking their course, but surely this build means a lot to you.
        You are passionate and from my observation, pedantic with attention to detail.

So my question: Have you ever considered building something abroad?
        Do you ever lose interest in the build?
        NZ was a long stint.

I have a friend down here on our Dolphin Coast who , incidentally is from the UK originally- has owned his S2 close on to a decade.
        Chap is beyond OCD, I don't even know what to call it anymore. Any excuse and the car is taken apart.
        I have the same grouse with him: each day takes you closer to your last. How about instead of finding a reason to have your car out of action for lengthy periods, get in and go for a drive?

(He's probably going to chip in since he is on this forum)

Cheers
        1994 UrS4 with RS2 turbo
        1995 RS2 Avant Nogaro
        1999 S4 2.7T Avant
        2005 A3 3.2 q M daily 3dr
        2007 C6S6 V10
        2013 B8.5 allroad 2.0T for Mrs

Comment

Originally posted by quattro4sprung View Post
          I have to tell you, your thread perplexes me in a bizarre, numbing way.
          I don't mean to get personal, but just so that I can sleep better, I hope you don't mind :

6 years since starting this thread ( I remember reading it when I bought my RS2 in 2012), away from home 2 years at a time... tour bus operator...

I am cool with the probability of the pay being good abroad. I am fine with life's priorities taking their course, but surely this build means a lot to you.
          You are passionate and from my observation, pedantic with attention to detail.

So my question: Have you ever considered building something abroad?
          Do you ever lose interest in the build?
          NZ was a long stint.

I have a friend down here on our Dolphin Coast who , incidentally is from the UK originally- has owned his S2 close on to a decade.
          Chap is beyond OCD, I don't even know what to call it anymore. Any excuse and the car is taken apart.
          I have the same grouse with him: each day takes you closer to your last. How about instead of finding a reason to have your car out of action for lengthy periods, get in and go for a drive?

(He's probably going to chip in since he is on this forum)

Cheers
          I don't mind at all, the truth is I'm trying to keep this thread updated with very little progress, so I welcome any input. Of course I would like to achieve more, but I have to accept that work gets in the way. I'd far rather do a job I enjoy at the expense of this project than one I hate, and that was the position I was in when I started.

I've never lost interest in this build, I search for parts on a daily basis and I've had a solid plan of what I want for years, I'm not going to take an easier option or compromise on anything where there is a choice. I have no doubt this will be the most accurate RS2 sedan in the UK, and more importantly, it'll be exactly what I want.

I'd like to be able to drive the car again, in whatever state, but it's simply not worth the expense, I could get an MOT if I replaced the rear brakes, but there's little point for how much I'd actually be able to use it. I'd rather use my time to work on the RS2 parts that need refurbishing.

I actually started this in 2010, but even then it was so hard to find parts that I didn't decide it was possible until 2012. If I started it now it would be near impossible with any amount of money, unless I bought an RS2 for parts, which I never wanted to do.
          98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
          69 Austin Mini Cooper
          71 MGB GT
          04 Kawasaki GPX250
          96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Given the difficulty I had on finding information on the battery mounting on the S2 saloon, I thought I'd try and put something here detailing the differences from the Avant.

The Avant battery tray can not be mounted to a saloon without modification, unless you want it to sit at an angle. The reason is there's a strengthening panel between the arch and quarter panel that the Avant doesn't have. Because of this the tray has to sit about an inch further out. The 2 front mountings are moved inwards on the tray and the rear mounting bracket faces in the opposite direction. There are also 2 additional pieces to mount the battery cover.

1. Relocate the front mounting holes, the pressing makes it clear where they go. Old on the right, new on the left.

Untitled by Matt4475, on Flickr

2. Add the mountings for the battery cover

First side is easy, second needs some modification to the tray to provide an area to mount the new bracket, I made the best guess I could from the pictures I had and came up with this.

Both sides done, Dzus clips are the same as the undertray

It's not that clear, but this shows the trim panel mounted to the tray with the fasteners.

3. Relocate the rear mounting bracket, I drilled out the spot welds and turned turned this bracket into a mirror image of itself, I then lined it up on the car and welded it into the new position.

Last edited by 80Quattro; 9 May 2018, 18:52.
            98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
            69 Austin Mini Cooper
            71 MGB GT
            04 Kawasaki GPX250
            96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Any new parts on it's way?
              00 S8
              94 RS2
              94 80 Competition
              88 urquattro 20vt

Comment

Not much really.

I have a pair of under headlight trims and I now have everything except the engine bay wiring to do the climate control retrofit. It's taken a while to get everything as neither my car or the donor S2 that I got most the parts from had A/C.

If it's ever possible to buy parts from Audi Tradition again, I will be able to get just about everything I still need.

I'm now working permanently in New Zealand, so I have to take a holiday to the other side of the world to work on this car, which doesn't help with progress.
                98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                69 Austin Mini Cooper
                71 MGB GT
                04 Kawasaki GPX250
                96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Originally posted by 80Quattro View Post
                  Not much really.

I have a pair of under headlight trims and I now have everything except the engine bay wiring to do the climate control retrofit. It's taken a while to get everything as neither my car or the donor S2 that I got most the parts from had A/C.

If it's ever possible to buy parts from Audi Tradition again, I will be able to get just about everything I still need.

I'm now working permanently in New Zealand, so I have to take a holiday to the other side of the world to work on this car, which doesn't help with progress.
                  Your thread is absolutely astonishing! Regarding parts from audi tradition I got a friend who refer me this guy (www.autewo.de) who is able to deal with audi tradition parts; if you cant find the parts online you could email them and they will reply you promptly.
                  RS2 >> Ferrari: Performance/look ratio

Comment

Working...
                  X